• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He was never going to beat WVA or Hirschi in that sprint and they clearly were not going to catch JA. Why should he not sacrifice himself? It's the least he could have done after what WVA has done for him the past month. Can't imagine JV being very happy about this lol
This is truly ridiculous.
The only thing the worst sprinter in that group can do is sit and NEVER take a pull. NEVER! His only strategy to win the race is hope the good sprinters in that group are willing to work a lot and ultimately manage to bring Alaphilippe back on their own (or that Alaphilippe crashes out). At that point it's an open race, he might try an attack and the good sprinters don't react because they are spent after chasing.
That's cycling 101.

He took a lot more pulls than he should have.

Well of course he did, he isn't an idiot. It's his bloody teammate.
That's the cynical take. Van Aert is a genuine person, so I think he meant it.

Regarding Belgian cycling fans nationalism discussed here: I don't agree that they are. Cancellara had a huge fanbase in Flanders, despite him being Boonen's biggest rival. Sagan also has his share of fans, and Mathieu VDP is very popular. I think that most cycling fans here like 'hardmen', riders that go hard, don't wheelsuck too much, etc. Nationality doesn't matter too much if they are, they will be appreciated. There was a feeling yesterday that Roglic was the least cooperative in the group (which may have been misleading), hence some of the reactions after what Wout did in the tour (i.e. sacrifice his own chances for Roglic). That's basically it.

I haven't heard a single comment saying Alaphilippe didn't earn his victory, by the way.

This is truly ridiculous.
The only thing the worst sprinter in that group can do is sit and NEVER take a pull. NEVER! His only strategy to win the race is hope the good sprinters in that group are willing to work a lot and ultimately manage to bring Alaphilippe back on their own (or that Alaphilippe crashes out). At that point it's an open race, he might try an attack and the good sprinters don't react because they are spent after chasing.
That's cycling 101.

He took a lot more pulls than he should have.

In his post-race interview Roglic said he was knackered and was happy to be able to follow that group. So then why not just sacrifice yourself for the guy who just spent 3 weeks emptying himself for him? He knew he wasn't going to win either way.

If Roglic owes Van Aert a service, he will do that in a race where they are actually teammates. Not in a race where they aren't.

The whole of Belgium was mad when Nys didn't ride behind Groenendaal, because they were teammates. Now they are mad Roglic doesn't ride for Van Aert behind Alaphilippe...
Bit of selective anger based on pure nationalism is my take.

Make up your mind otherwise ;)

Reactions: Fus087 and Luthor
If Roglic owes Van Aert a service, he will do that in a race where they are actually teammates. Not in a race where they aren't.

The whole of Belgium was mad when Nys didn't ride behind Groenendaal, because they were teammates. Now they are mad Roglic doesn't ride for Van Aert behind Alaphilippe...

That's just a weak strawman isn't it? At the end of the day we have a deserved world champion with JA, but I can't imagine JV will be very happy with the way Roglic finished this race. You can argue it shouldn't matter because they aren't from the same country, but that has never been how things worked in cycling.

• Haha
Reactions: Dekker_Tifosi
You could go work for Wielerflits :tonguewink:.
He said Pogacar might have been the only one able to follow Alaphilippe, had he not attacked at 50k. He also said they needed to keep Pogacar within range, because he would have been too much of a threat if you give him too much leeway.
He also said Evenepoel isn't explosive enough to follow Alaphilippe (unlike Pogacar). He was specifically talking about long range attacks, when he said Evenepoel in prime form, is better than Pogacar.
And get paid like Bruyneel?:p

But it's still a very, very bold statement to say that an Evenepoel in form is better than Pogacar who just won the Tour. As good as Evenepoel is, they're still hyping him up too much.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lefevere always says goodbye to riders when they can't improve and want to negotiate a new, longterm contract. So, Ala will show his worldchampion shirt during 2021, but not winning that much (winning as a world champion is difficult). So, for a better contract, Ala has to leave and will probably go to a French team. Van Aert, who is at the end of his contract in 2021, will take the place of Alaphilippe in the DCQS-team. Van Aert for the classics, Evenepoel for the grand tours. And both, working together, in some difficult hill classics. With first class "domestiques", working for them. Not the way nobody works for Van Aert in the Dutch team Jumbo-Visma.

Lefevere always says goodbye to riders when they can't improve and want to negotiate a new, longterm contract. So, Ala will show his worldchampion shirt during 2021, but not winning that much (winning as a world champion is difficult). So, for a better contract, Ala has to leave and will probably go to a French team. Van Aert, who is at the end of his contract in 2021, will take the place of Alaphilippe in the DCQS-team. Van Aert for the classics, Evenepoel for the grand tours. And both, working together, in some difficult hill classics. With first class "domestiques", working for them. Not the way nobody works for Van Aert in the Dutch team Jumbo-Visma.

I don't know, letting JA has to be a very hard decision. Might be interesting to keep the French "poster boy" along with the most promising Belgian rather "only" Belgian leaders. Alaphilippe has to be one of the most marketable guys in the peloton I would imagine. And WVA won't be getting any cheaper either

Van Aert, Evenepoel, Uijtdebroeks sounds good to me

Ei8Hh2IXsAArLCL

They did the math. :p

Then why even try to follow the group? Could have sacrificed himself completely to reduce the gap to 5 seconds or something instead of trying to hang on. What was the best case scenario for him if he was already knackered? No one will remember that 6th place.

Maybe because to his (national) team that did a lot of work in the race, a finish in the group of favourites and 6th place is still more valuable than being randomly outspirnted by Matthews. Roglic pulled the group (as stated by the "math post" above) for at least 16,1% of the time - which is very near the equal share of 20% for 5 riders in the group. Knowing well that he was probably the deadest in the group and second worst sprinter. Unless you expect him to just go into super domestique mode, pull the group for 3 or 4k straight even though he can barely hang on, empty himself and finish an annonymous top 20 while giving WvA 10% more chances of victory...

Maybe because to his (national) team that did a lot of work in the race, a finish in the group of favourites and 6th place is still more valuable than being randomly outspirnted by Matthews. Roglic pulled the group (as stated by the "math post" above) for at least 16,1% of the time - which is very near the equal share of 20% for 5 riders in the group. Knowing well that he was probably the deadest in the group and second worst sprinter. Unless you expect him to just go into super domestique mode, pull the group for 3 or 4k straight even though he can barely hang on, empty himself and finish an annonymous top 20 while giving WvA 10% more chances of victory...

I don't see how coming in 6th is better than having the rainbow jersey in your team tbh. I think it would have been a beautiful gesture after what he did in the TDF but I'm unreasonable I guess. What does it mean for a guy like Roglic to come in 6th rather than 20th?

Van Aert is the one with the best sprint. By far. In almost every group. He has to accept that fact and do the work, until someone else is the sprint-favourite. Annoying for him, of course, but that's how it is. (And he himself is not complaining.) Yesterday he did not do the far majority of the work, he's probably not yet used to that role.

That's just a weak strawman isn't it? At the end of the day we have a deserved world champion with JA, but I can't imagine JV will be very happy with the way Roglic finished this race. You can argue it shouldn't matter because they aren't from the same country, but that has never been how things worked in cycling.
As far as I know, Wout Van Aert is employee of Jumbo Visma team, and he does what superior tells him. At the Tour his job was mostly to ride in service of his leader, which was Roglic. He did a good job there, and I think his team was satisfied.
Now, at the Worlds, we have these two riding for their own countries, so two different teams. Roglic, same as Van Aert, have an obligation to his own country to achieve the best possible result, and he rode accordingly to that.

Not only was this NOT the point that was being made, you also managed to show yourself quite the hypocrite here.

It was an example of how "deals" like this have been inherent to cycling since the very beginning. The Nys/Groenendaal thing isn't something from the 50's. It's from 2000. The Viviani/Lampaert thing was from 2019. Furthermore, Nys was told before the race by the owner of the team (not just Jan Raas, but the actual guy from the bank!), that they weren't allowed to chase teammates. Nys didn't owe Groenendaal anything. Groenendaal had not been busting his balls for Nys weeks before (quite the contrary). Yet i didn't see an outcry of injustice coming from the Dutch media or Dutch fans back then. So clearly, the Dutch think this kind of deal is ok? So make up your mind, Dutch people, is it ok or not? Or is it only ok in case a Dutchman is benefiting? So if "the whole of Belgium" is selectively angry based on nationalism, that would make the "the whole of the Netherlands" selective hypocrites based on nationalism. By your take.

So in line with the oldskool ways, expecting that Roglic, who had roughly 0.1% chance to get on the podium unless the others crashed, could have helped his "friend" out who had busted his balls for him, making his employer very happy in the process (ironically, we're talking about the team that was founded on the ashes of Nys/Groenendaal's team) is not al all such an outlandish think to do. It is furthermore because of what happened in Sint-Michielsgestel 2000, and Alkmaar 2019 (and trust me, there are plenty more similar stories) that in Belgium there is an outrage, the idea that "now that it's our turn, we're stabbed in the back". Whether you think that's ok or not, it is an emotional response.

And stuff like this happens all the time at WCC's. Guys "not riding" after a friend from the same team but from another country is considered normal, while in fact it is the exact same thing. It has always bothered me, like i said before i'm not a fan of these kinds of deals, it's only good for national drama. But it has been going on for ages, and it is hard to control. Is a rider giving his all? Is he making a decision with his country in mind or his brand team? In this case, we can't even tell if Roglic tried or didn't. But please, stop the pretentious bullsh!t by acting your country (whichever it is) is better or "above it" and as if this is a Belgian issue. While professional journalists should know better, the outrage is emotional and most people will realize that after a few hours/days. However, the hate that is now directed towards Belgians, saying "Belgians are nationalists" (like the deleted tweet from FR, and all the tweets praising it) are not. And for me, that is a much bigger issue. And the fact that people are ignoring that, or not even aware of what that means, might be a bigger issue still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagartrott
Van Aert is the one with the best sprint. By far. In almost every group. He has to accept that fact and do the work, until someone else is the sprint-favourite. Annoying for him, of course, but that's how it is. (And he himself is not complaining.) Yesterday he did not do the far majority of the work, he's probably not yet used to that role.
A day in the life of Sagan

TRENDING THREADS