• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
At any rate, the way van Aert has reacted to this whole situation is pure class. Other riders might have gratefully accepted the opportunity presented to them by interviewers to put the blame on someone, certainly in the first interview after the race when the disappointment is still fresh. For what it's worth, I don't think Roglic had anything of value to contribute anymore, he could barely get out of Fuglsang's wheel in the sprint.
The reaction by Belgian commentators wasn't pretty, but understandable. I don't think this can be attributed to any form of specifically Belgian nationalism. In Germany, we had the Voigt/Ullrich controversy in 2004; now that was truly disgusting IMO, and from a country that is nowhere near as passionate about cycling as Belgium. It should also be noted that Sporza's radio commentator Christophe Vandegoor, has put things into perspective a little in the meantime, to his credit.

He had a rep for being a bit of a whiny bucket when he was younger, but has ridden full stud in his first few years of focusing on the road without complaining much. I hope that his recent pout is just because his old CX nemesis was involved. I wonder if he would have reacted the same had it been someone else? Its a race man, talk with your legs!

He had a rep for being a bit of a whiny bucket when he was younger, but has ridden full stud in his first few years of focusing on the road without complaining much. I hope that his recent pout is just because his old CX nemesis was involved. I wonder if he would have reacted the same had it been someone else? Its a race man, talk with your legs!

Rile up the Belgian armada at your own peril.

Maybe we saw a different race, but i think he spoke with his legs pretty clearly. His "pout" may have been unnecessary, but he wasn't wrong, was he? He's been critical of other riders than Mathieu, so i have no reason to believe his response was only because it was Mathieu. He was pretty vocal towards Sagan at the Tour as well, for instance. I think it's a bit weak to start over-analyzing emotions of riders moments after the race, when they are still full of adrenaline. But that's my opinion. As someone who has followed him since he was 17 or 18, i can tell you his "rep" for being a "whiny bucket" is also flimsy at best.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Rile up the Belgian armada at your own peril.
Maybe we saw a different race, but i think he spoke with his legs pretty clearly. His "pout" may have been unnecessary, but he wasn't wrong, was he? He's been critical of other riders than Mathieu, so i have no reason to believe his response was only because it was Mathieu. He was pretty vocal towards Sagan at the Tour as well, for instance. I think it's a bit weak to start over-analyzing emotions of riders moments after the race, when they are still full of adrenaline. But that's my opinion. As someone who has followed him since he was 17 or 18, i can tell you his "rep" for being a "whiny bucket" is also flimsy at best.

His pout was similar to Sagan's and a lot of people didn't like his whining.

I don't view such comments as whining, though, but as genuine explanations of how races went as they did.

I think a lot of people could benefit from thinking the same way instead of hitting the laughing reaction button on Facebook.

His pout was similar to Sagan's and a lot of people didn't like his whining.

I don't view such comments as whining, though, but as genuine explanations of how races went as they did.

I think a lot of people could benefit from thinking the same way instead of hitting the laughing reaction button on Facebook.

Be that as it may, at the end of the day there’s little to no control on how one’s rivals will race you.

Even if you want to argue that his feelings on the race development are vindicated he’d still have to deal with it when the time comes and his rivals race him again the way they think a favorite ought to be raced. That’s the nature of the beast. I think that’s what Boonen meant as well.

It seems like he realizes this himself cause in his most recent interview he says that even though he feels the same essentially it has been a lesson for him and next time he won’t be “caught” in that same situation as easily and realizes that in order to win he has to get by or “best” Mathieu (and other rivals).

So the lesson was his to learn, regardless of the authenticity of his claim and the right he has to express it, which he does.

Last edited:
Be that as it may, at the end of the day there’s little to no control on how one’s rivals will race you.
There's little to no control over a great many things in life. Doesn't mean you can't analyze them, define them and criticize them. Not sure what any of that has to do with it. His analysis was sound, the way MvdP was riding, he was never going to win that race. He didn't take initiative in the finale, and he only countered WvA, burning his own matches at the benefit of the other riders in the process. Yes, it's up to Wout to deal with it, as it is up to Mathieu to come up with a better plan because like Wout said, neither of them is getting anything out of this unless both change their tactics.

Reactions: Volderke
No, he didn't let his legs do the talking in this case. He repeated his complaint again days after the race so its not just post race. I followed his CX days too and he complained quite a bit when he didn't win. That being said, this little pout won't keep me from enjoying Wout!

No, he didn't let his legs do the talking in this case. He repeated his complaint again days after the race so its not just post race. I followed his CX days too and he complained quite a bit when he didn't win. That being said, this little pout won't keep me from enjoying Wout!
He repeated his analysis/opinion, which was correct to begin with, when he was asked about it. In the actual race, he let his legs do the talking.
And i get the impression you are mistaking being vocal about disappointment with whining or complaining. He's always been vocal, and he's always been one of two guys who got a camera shoved in their faces, every race. For me, whining/complaining is somewhat related to making excuses. And he was usually very honest about his own efforts when he got beaten.

He repeated his analysis/opinion, which was correct to begin with, when he was asked about it. In the actual race, he let his legs do the talking.
And i get the impression you are mistaking being vocal about disappointment with whining or complaining. He's always been vocal, and he's always been one of two guys who got a camera shoved in their faces, every race. For me, whining/complaining is somewhat related to making excuses. And he was usually very honest about his own efforts when he got beaten.
Agreed. I make this contention about many top riders (athletes). No one ever knows (or maybe cares) what pack fill has to say. If they are on top of their game, we get to hear their thoughts all of the time. That being said, he was a frequent whiny bucket IMO. EDIT: he also has three rainbow kits though!

If he was stronger than MVdP he should have dropped him.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Logic here. Wout isn't whiny. You can read dissapointment or frustration on his face, sure, but he never resorted to lame excuses or completely wrongful accusations. And of course he was the strongest on Sunday, that doesn't mean that others can't hold on or close a gap. "If he was stronger he should have dropped him" is too simplistic.

Reactions: jmdirt
Looking forward to another big fight between those two youngsters!
NsYxzH7BJD3Brt5Jcywhub8b0FJNiJEj2YcsIf7S8AF2y-9PX1zxZ2bbRPVjsXANkUXo5N-_4Oothl3HjkXyVGPpjN6J89mUuDhWh9wCPARHtQdGNypje4Rs-5pd0pJRZqlpFZ1aGcFD0CEVulNV4XW8Qor-Ldtu56nKUaHMaFiXMG_K9VHyrC6nDDDrcFFeTkftnTNi7NWTeLhR9Isz_4el5vsYU94jQSLdUrHmoIBVQYcFy_3xmQ2I9gRx1Pr1hb79-ivm_bo541qplHhNJGqLWlIffhHsmd7TOez7pN760evn8fb7q4PAF_jxdk7eYxewthcp_zWzZ4VdixaUDCWiUWb_4VvNvjsqzscUrROMRrSXDt-vSRb880rgFFqHzidZsvkA_3VLOpuac1Xsei9u1KtUc1dV2XzUSQh3iCVzP9wUIo79KrNF2M4qXCjFw3k7VvSG6Od6ag_0Hm3lI6ZOTM9LIn6j-DZHRDTtoMo7j8qYhGZeZQWIn8-G6e8pwTqI5AI2V7QAv1UW_xaWmbPCZXLmYWzNDVUZLSUIo6OTW0ar1pHSdBzduBr7yY0Tb12hYfyluoBVcsEJwCQpUX6Tn-KFiB24_yXU27H0XWWFkmd3fx_rBYEiob8WLyzWa4ubfMT9oJ25qqMnRwyUudyT2V-8OZ8M9XgvvKHqz5UwORM4kaDUzjWAHbuUTaU=w1380-h656-no

just to show these two guys know eachother for a long long time. They have given endless interviews after many many CX races, having to answer questions about eachother. So no surprise that they dare to say something more than diplomatic words without content... And at the end of the day, they both realize that their market value (in CX) was largely dependent on eachother: no exciting races without some good competition!

There's little to no control over a great many things in life. Doesn't mean you can't analyze them, define them and criticize them. Not sure what any of that has to do with it. His analysis was sound, the way MvdP was riding, he was never going to win that race. He didn't take initiative in the finale, and he only countered WvA, burning his own matches at the benefit of the other riders in the process. Yes, it's up to Wout to deal with it, as it is up to Mathieu to come up with a better plan because like Wout said, neither of them is getting anything out of this unless both change their tactics.

This is exactly what I meant, and then I go out and do it to myself...

Maybe you ought to try reading what I posted again. Quote me the part where I said that he cannot express his views on what happened.

At the end of the day though, it’s Wout’s perspective on it, which depicts the facts that were visible for all to see, but not necessarily the intentions or train of thought on Mathieu’s part regardless of how many paragraphs you can come up with as a challenge on that, and I’m certain you can.

Call it tactical ineptness if you like, that has never really been Mathieu’s strong suit. He’s always relied on raw talent and strength but now in RR as with CX he has found his match and thus has to work more on the tactics side of things.

Now thàt I can agree on.

Anyway, like I said, Wout took the necessary lessons out of it and hopefully we’ll see that in the next finale he rides.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Logic here. Wout isn't whiny. You can read dissapointment or frustration on his face, sure, but he never resorted to lame excuses or completely wrongful accusations. And of course he was the strongest on Sunday, that doesn't mean that others can't hold on or close a gap. "If he was stronger he should have dropped him" is too simplistic.

In my eyes WVA is not whiny but I've got an impression he's at the moment quite greedy kinda personality to take everything. Not by his results or actions in races gone by, but by his words and impression of his personality he gives in interviews. Not that noble, quite serious tense person as seen from interviews and opinions really. If compared with other top athletes, say Sagan, MVdP, Froome, Demare, he clearly sits on the other side of the table. Maybe he's more Contador like.

Racing wise I fully understand what VdP did, it was only thing he could do. At the moment WVA is too strong for him mostly, not completely, but it's possible that athlete don't want to say or admit that gladly and publicly and for tactical reasons. However game is always open until finish line and you can't win one(s) you can't follow or stay with. WVA also played safe as he knew this. Mathieu needed to be where the endgame was played and he was waiting Wout to get just a little bit tired. They both knew and neutralized each other.

It's natural human habit. It's the reason why humans rule the planet, not animals. We try and find the way to win. Both maybe lost the fight (race) but not a battle (athlete career).

Racing wise I fully understand what VdP did, it was only thing he could do.
Sure, it's understandable, but i can not understand why you are saying is the only thing he could do. It's basically the exact opposite of what he had to do, in order to retain a small chance at winning. By countering Wout each time, he was digging his own grave. Either he should have reacted sooner, or gamble and let someone else do it. If nobody else would have reacted, he would also have lost. But had someone else bridged (like Pedersen in the final 1k), he could have followed that wheel and have a good chance to win.

If he was stronger than MVdP he should have dropped him.

Sorry. Thought we were having a serious discussion. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Volderke and jmdirt
Sure, it's understandable, but i can not understand why you are saying is the only thing he could do. It's basically the exact opposite of what he had to do, in order to retain a small chance at winning. By countering Wout each time, he was digging his own grave. Either he should have reacted sooner, or gamble and let someone else do it. If nobody else would have reacted, he would also have lost. But had someone else bridged (like Pedersen in the final 1k), he could have followed that wheel and have a good chance to win.

They both had that same vision they were stronger than the rest, except one. I think Mathieu could outsprint about everyone in that group, except one and Wout could sprint or take a flyer against about anyone in that group, except one. In my eye there was a bit gamble from Mathieu, but there's so little time in those speeds. Higher the level of the group, shorter the leash.

I think it's a message from both to each other and to others that they are ready/have afford to lose big, to win big. Champion mentality.

A season of many second places... but also one of many first places.
Anyway he has shown an incredible level and that he has talents in all directions, so there's no reason why next season should not be great for him again. Wonder if he will be domesting again or get even more freedom for himself.

Too many seconds as of late, but he is the best rider in the world atm. Velo d'Or imho.

Looking forward to the next years of this their joint era, and the continuation of the VDP-WVA rivalry. The defining feature of the next decade.

Too many seconds as of late, but he is the best rider in the world atm. Velo d'Or imho.

Looking forward to the next years of this their joint era, and the continuation of the VDP-WVA rivalry. The defining feature of the next decade.
Damn, too many seconds? First i was thinking you meant seconds as in 60 to make a minute, but you actually mean second places. Together with Mathieu and Julian he's probably the best classics rider (and not only that) followed closely by the Danes and Bettiol. He's been superb since Strade, while Julian & Mathieu were targeting races later on the calendar.

Reactions: Spine Concept

Someone wants to go for GC in Tirreno next year.

TRENDING THREADS