• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Now he goes to the Tour, i.e. as one of the best time trialists in the world & capable of following the best on the climbs.

The Van Aert + Roglic duo are going to light-up France this summer & it'll be wonderous. I can't wait.
I assume he will want to prolong his Belgian national ITT title as well. Should be interesting in case Evenepoel will be competing. Depending on the course, it should be a 2-way battle, with Campenaerts, Lampaert, possibly Frison and Van Wilder fighting for bronze.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The last win shows that given another favorite in the team makes it easier for WVA to win. Without Roglic i donot think he wins
Don't think that made all the difference, but it was easier to him I agree. He hadn't put his nose in the wind till last Cauberg and was relatively fresh for the finale. Although what gave him the win was the fact that Pidcock wanted to replicate his sprint from Brabantse Pijl, to wait for Van Aert to open up, use him slipstream a bit and then to overtake him. Only this time Van Aert was smarter and open up his sprint much later.

I like WvA hair.

Exactly, Roglic was covering but at the same time, everyone else had to cover Roglic whenever he went to the front.
Pidcock himself said he was maybe too eager to follow Roglič, when he moved to the front on the penultimate Cauberg. It was a massive acceleration, they brought back the attacking group that was 20s ahead in a couple of hundred meters. A lot of favourites were there and looking at the faces the majority were struggling. Pidcock looked probably the best of them all, because he was so strong. But I'm sure the effort was felt later in the race. Maybe just that little bit he was missing in the sprint against WvA.

Don't think that made all the difference, but it was easier to him I agree. He hadn't put his nose in the wind till last Cauberg and was relatively fresh for the finale. Although what gave him the win was the fact that Pidcock wanted to replicate his sprint from Brabantse Pijl, to wait for Van Aert to open up, use him slipstream a bit and then to overtake him. Only this time Van Aert was smarter and open up his sprint much later.
Yup, the same strategy almost worked again, but not quite. Not sure if the plan is to always try to dive into someone's six and then pop by, but that likely won't continue to work as well. I'm sure he'll find different ways.

It's obvious Van Aert is the hardest worker in a breakaway. And that's the reason why he hasn't won a few more big races this year. Due to a lack of freshness in the final. Vdp takes more initiative, but in a breakaway , he never goes all out. For the first time, in the Amstel Gold Race, one could see Van Aert build a little spare in the race, and in the last breakaway. And that was enough not to explode, as we have seen in a few races. And he had the legs to sprint. In contrast to the Flèche where he was beaten by the less fast Pidcock.

I assume he will want to prolong his Belgian national ITT title as well. Should be interesting in case Evenepoel will be competing. Depending on the course, it should be a 2-way battle, with Campenaerts, Lampaert, possibly Frison and Van Wilder fighting for bronze.
He will not defend his national TT title, since the team will be at altitude training for the TDF.

This will make the NC ITT a lot less interesting in case Evenepoel rides it. Either Evenepoel wins it by 2 minutes, or if he also doesn't ride, it could be for Campenaerts, Lampaert or even Van Wilder or Frison. Don't expect Wellens, De Gendt, Vermeersch, Van Moer or Van Hooydonck to beat those guys.

He will not defend his national TT title, since the team will be at altitude training for the TDF.

This will make the NC ITT a lot less interesting in case Evenepoel rides it. Either Evenepoel wins it by 2 minutes, or if he also doesn't ride, it could be for Campenaerts, Lampaert or even Van Wilder or Frison. Don't expect Wellens, De Gendt, Vermeersch, Van Moer or Van Hooydonck to beat those guys.

No Evenepoel neither. VocSnor for the win.

This is a major problem. It's not clear whether he underwent surgery. What is the the best solution. But, at least two weeks revovery and rest. Then during a week a careful start-up. Then rebuild the basic condition . Starting in the Dauphiné is impossible. Starting in the Tour de France will be possible, but not in top form. Maybe in good shape the third week of the Tour. Which is not even so bad considering the Olympic games.

• Wow
This is a major problem. It's not clear whether he underwent surgery. What is the the best solution. But, at least two weeks revovery and rest. Then during a week a careful start-up. Then rebuild the basic condition . Starting in the Dauphiné is impossible. Starting in the Tour de France will be possible, but not in top form. Maybe in good shape the third week of the Tour. Which is not even so bad considering the Olympic games.
The article said he underwent an operation. I don't know how severe this is, but I wouldn't expect it to influence him much.

TRENDING THREADS