• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
-pozzato actually won tirreno adriatico
-ballan managed to win Ronde and worlds

But l wonder if Wouter can win the worlds this winter and get a better cx record than zdenenk stybar. He is certainly better but has the unfortunate circumstances of being born at the same winter as vanderpoel

Pozzato at the end of his career isn't where van Aert is now, who cares if he won Tirreno?
Ballan won worlds, but his Ronde would just equal van Aert's MSR. And he doesn't have any Tour stages, while van Aert has six, he doesn't have an Olympic medal, van Aert also has G-W, Strade, Amstel. Van Aert also has a second place in both worlds (three times) and Flanders, is national champion...
Unless you think a world title is worth more than practically everything, you can't argue that van Aert's palmares is worse. If however you do you must be a true fan of my avatar man.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Pozzato at the end of his career isn't where van Aert is now, who cares if he won Tirreno?
Ballan won worlds, but his Ronde would just equal van Aert's MSR. And he doesn't have any Tour stages, while van Aert has six, he doesn't have an Olympic medal, van Aert also has G-W, Strade, Amstel. Van Aert also has a second place in both worlds (three times) and Flanders, is national champion...
Unless you think a world title is worth more than practically everything, you can't argue that van Aert's palmares is worse. If however you do you must be a true fan of my avatar man.
Pozzato won e3 tirreno and a giro stage, and he was more cool than van aert. He also won Italian championship which is probably harder than Belgian championship because Italy has more people.

Being a world road race champion is better than winning strade amstel and gent wevelgem yes. You make a good point on tour stages though. But Ballan win will champ in Varese is one of the most iconic wins ever. It give goosebumps.

Big fan of alaphillipe, it's a good avatar I like it. Legendary racer. He is incredible for cycling just like Nibali and Sagan.

Please don't feed the troll. He enjoys it to much.

For some reason he has it out for Belgian riders and blindly adores his Italians riders eventhough those riders are either fin de carrière (Nibs), underdogs (Pozato/Balan) or second tier riders at best (some weird guy named fausto Masnada that is domestique for Evenepoel). :sweat:

Edit: OH NO HE DIDN'T

Reactions: Sandisfan
He has a clearly better palmares than Pippo (always a style over substance guy), but Ballan isn't that far behind, if we're talking road cycling only. WC and RVV, another podium in the RVV and overall 4 top results, 3 podiums in Paris-Roubaix, gc in the Tour of Poland and De Panne and two 2nd places in Strade Bianche and he won Hamburg once.
The one thing that he lacks are GT stage wins, he only has 1 Vuelta stage win.

For some reason he has it out for Belgian riders and blindly adores his Italians riders eventhough those riders are either fin de carrière (Nibs), underdogs (Pozato/Balan) or second tier riders at best (some weird guy named fausto Masnada that is domestique for Evenepoel). :sweat:

Masnada almost won Lombardia the toughest 1 day race against Pogacar and beat roglic, Yates, valverde, all the favourites. Meanwhile remco dropped at 50km. Shows who is strongest. And remco is a good talent , strong guy. But fausto is the guy yto focus on at the moment.

I'm speaking facts here. Nibali is the greatest rider of the 21 century and inspire me more than anyone else. Hence my adoration for him even if he had a long career and not quite anymore at the peak. I don't have anything against Belgians riders more than anyone else.

My point was that wout van aert for the moment doesn't have the palmares in road racing that fans seem to think he does. Like he is some Tom boonen level rider. When he won only Sanremo as a monument, no grand tours, a few major classics and no international championships.

Even Pozzato and Ballan combined aren't the better of Wout. And I'm not trolling.
If you are talking about cyclo-cross, yes. Wout van aert is insanely strong on cyclo-cross, and a very strong world class road racer. But he didn't yet achieve his potential.

Ballan can win his home world championships with a great charismatic attack. Wout couldn't.

Pozzato have a better palmare outside of Tour de France and he stopped winning at wout age (27)

My point was that wout van aert for the moment doesn't have the palmares in road racing that fans seem to think he does. Like he is some Tom boonen level rider. When he won only Sanremo as a monument, no grand tours, a few major classics and no international championships.
Palmares-wise, that's true. I also regard Boonen as a bigger legend.

However, the versatility of Van Aert's exploits stands out much more than anything Ballan or Pozzato ever achieved. And if he's not already clearly above them when it comes to wins, there's no doubt he will be in a near future.

Last edited:

Yeah, I don't know... I find this forum often really annoying in the past months and I realize that my tone gets more aggressive in respondance. I like to close my text window and come to the forum to get my mind free for a few minutes, but sometimes I don't know why I'm doing this anymore.

Yeah, I don't know... I find this forum often really annoying in the past months and I realize that my tone gets more aggressive in respondance. I like to close my text window and come to the forum to get my mind free for a few minutes, but sometimes I don't know why I'm doing this anymore.
I'm sorry if I responsible for this, I don't mean to be, everything said here is in good nature and I enjoy discussing the sport. I guess I just have different opinions but I wasn't aggressive at any point. Let me know if I cross the lines.

• Wow
Masnada almost won Lombardia the toughest 1 day race against Pogacar and beat roglic, Yates, valverde, all the favourites. Meanwhile remco dropped at 50km. Shows who is strongest. And remco is a good talent , strong guy. But fausto is the guy yto focus on at the moment.
Van Aert almost won Ronde v Vlaanderen. He almost won Tirreno Adriatico against Pogacar, Landa, Bernal, all the favourites. He almost became world champion cyclocross 7 times. He almost became world champion ITT twice, against Ganna. He almost became olympic champion. On top of all the things he did actually win.

Remco almost became world champion ITT. He almost became Euro champion on the road. on top of all the things he did actually win.

Funny how your analysis changes depending on who it is you're talking about. :)

Reactions: Sandisfan and Boes
Palmares-wise, that's true. I also regard Boonen as a bigger legend.

However, the versatility of Van Aert's exploits stands out much more than anything Ballan or Pozzato ever achieved. And if he's not already clearly above them when it comes to wins, there's no doubt he will be in a near future.
You regard Boonen a bigger legend than who? Van Aert?! Are you joking? Is there really a question about that?!
And yes, Pozzato and Ballan combined certainly have better palmares than Van Aert.

Van Aert almost won Ronde v Vlaanderen. He almost won Tirreno Adriatico against Pogacar, Landa, Bernal, all the favourites. He almost became world champion cyclocross 7 times. He almost became world champion ITT twice, against Ganna. He almost became olympic champion. On top of all the things he did actually win.

Remco almost became world champion ITT. He almost became Euro champion on the road. on top of all the things he did actually win.

Funny how your analysis changes depending on who it is you're talking about. :)
I think you are a little bit confused. I don't dispute anything you said in the post, apart from the last sentence.

I said wout van aert was an 'absolute beast' and a 'cyclocross legend'. There's not dispute how good he is. I just say that for the moment his palmares is slightly worse than ballan or pozzato. Because for me winning big races counts more than anything. But he is only just 27, there is time to be better than them.

It relates to the points I made last month about WVA lacking ability to take risk in monuments where he the favourite and instead play defensive. This doesn't matter in cyclocross.

I also said remco is very good. I'm sorry to admit it, but remco is a better time trialist than Fausto Masnada . Very sad I know. But the guy called Fausto remco's gregario. When fausto showed the better performance in the hardest races where gregarios have an impact. Both are very strong rider.

Both Remco and Wout are very good and I'm sure they have a great 2022 season and keep you happy.

I just say that for the moment his palmares is slightly worse than ballan or pozzato.

I just say that for the moment his palmares is slightly worse than ballan or pozzato.
I think the Belgian's ability (to mention nothing of cross, but just on the road) to win in the greatest venues a TT, mountain stage, a sprint (as in Champs-Elysees) and classics makes him decidedly superior to either Italian. Even if we are just looking at palmares. Then if we thow talent and altheltic ability into the equation, there really is no comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan and Wvv
I think the Belgian's ability (to mention nothing of cross, but just on the road) to win in the greatest venues a TT, mountain stage, a sprint (as in Champs-Elysees) and classics makes him decidedly superior to either Italian. Even if we are just looking at palmares. Then if we thow talent and altheltic ability into the equation, there really is no comparison.
I would rather be world champion and so would most peopl. But yes its subjective.

I have been following pro cycling since 1997. Tbh, there were only few riders about which I thought, „WTF?!“… I would say these were Pantani, Armstrong, Boonen, Rasmussen, later Sagan, and nowadays WVA, MVDP and Pogacar.

Pozzato and Ballan were big champions. Both were a bit underestimated. Pozzato was fast and even more stylish, whereas Ballan was fast, but looked fragile.

I would say Pogacar is Lance 2.0, and WVA and MVDP are Sagan 2.0.

I always thought Wout was a little bit weaker than Mathieu, but I think nowadays they are equally strong. These two look and ride so powerfully, race the whole year, perform in every race they start, and perform on every terrain. I wasn‘t born when Merckx raced, but in these 25 years I mentioned, WVA and MVDP and Pogacar have been the most impressive riders, IMHO.

I have been following pro cycling since 1997. Tbh, there were only few riders about which I thought, „WTF?!“… I would say these were Pantani, Armstrong, Boonen, Rasmussen, later Sagan, and nowadays WVA, MVDP and Pogacar.

Pozzato and Ballan were big champions. Both were a bit underestimated. Pozzato was fast and even more stylish, whereas Ballan was fast, but looked fragile.

I always thought Wout was a little bit weaker than Mathieu, but I think nowadays they are equally strong. These two look and ride so powerfully, race the whole year, perform in every race they start, and perform on every terrain. I wasn‘t born when Merckx raced, but in these 25 years I mentioned, WVA and MVDP and Pogacar have been the most impressive riders, IMHO.
What do you think about Masnada?

Yet it is Alaphilippe has won two (road) world championships in this "WTF?!" era.

Yet it is Alaphilippe has won two (road) world championships in this "WTF?!" era.

Good point. I admit, Alaphilippe is still a rider I often underestimate. I think that‘s due to his nationality, due to his smaller build, and (no joke) due to this moustache (without moustache, he looks like an athlete, with moustache, he looks - IMHO - just weird).

But he has a big engine, that‘s clear. Most impressive ride by him - IMHO - was the TdF TT in 2019 which he won. There he showed what he‘s capable of…

• Haha
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
I would rather be world champion and so would most peopl. But yes its subjective.
Sometimes timing, talent and luck don't always cooperate; sometimes the stars align in fortuitous ways (as with Ballan much less so with Pozzato who should have had a Flanders and Roubaix under his belt). Wout, however, is on a different sphere than the Italians. He can win where they won, whether or not he actually wins Flanders or the Worlds, and he can win where they could never have won.

I think Wout's biggest downfall at the moment of overestimating his abilities. He and MvdP often choose too many wins and then fall flat at the Classics/WC road race. Wout and MvdP are both a level above the others when at their peak...but too often they are operating at 90% peak due to chasing too many wins. I believe Wout is smart enough to figure this out for the future though.

He can win where they won, whether or not he actually wins Flanders or the Worlds, and he can win where they could never have won.

Exactly. One has just to look at his 2021 season: his build-up to the Tour was far from ideal (surgery). Then he wins the double (!) Ventoux (!) stage with 4500 altitude meters in the summer heat, beats Cavendish on the Champs-Elysees. Then he finishes only six seconds (!) behind Ganna (!) on a WC ITT parcours that suits Ganna (best time trialist ever?) perfectly. Wout clearly seems to be the born bikeracer.

Now see Jumbo-Visma has this guy (Wout), and have another guy called Primoz who - within few years - becomes World Champion in ski jumping (!) and Olympic Champion in cycling/ITT (!).

To be honest, I don‘t know who of both to admire more…

TRENDING THREADS