• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 199 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just my .02, but for me it's because next year he'll be 30 years old and (IMHO) past his top years for something requiring the explosiveness of Flanders; f he was ever going to win it I think this would have been the year. I definitely still think he can win Roubaix but what's the strategy for next year then? Surely they'll have realized the folly of putting all their eggs in one basket but who knows? Anyway, gutted for him. According to Benoot Wout was in the form of his life.. Uggh. :(
While it's not getting easier and he might lose some explosiveness, I don't see why he can't win Flanders in the coming years. Guys like boonen and cancellara managed. In fact Boonen had one of his best seasons at 31.

And GvA had his moments in the sun around the age of 29-32 and maybe should have won it in 2017 at the age of 31.

And then ofcourse there are always the possibilities that Wout wins it at a twilight point of his career, benefitting from a underdog position, with nobody marking him. The final chapters of his cycling story are not written yet.

I'm predicting he will win Flanders at least once and Roubaix twice in his career. (Let's hope this ages well)..

I mean the explosiveness thing.. Valverde was still pretty explosive at 38.

It doesn't need to go. Wout van Aert could be at a great level for years. Decline mostly happens because the fire is gone. Some cyclists can go on for years more than the average and still have a very high level. I don't think Wout "only has 3/4 chances" left. All depends on his internal motivation.

TRENDING THREADS