• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 152 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maybe he could/should go with MVP when they had 10s but for some reason he didn't... then he was back in the situation with 2 alpecin + bunch of other rather big guns in the group and certainly more variables and risks in the mix so there was bigger chance for crash/mistake. it nearly worked in his favor but MVP stayed on the bike after Philipsen's shenanigans and Wout was forced/decided to attack hard on risky terrain and it didn't work out at the end.

but yeah, everyone is general after the battle
I'm actually surprised people weren't talking about this more. I certainly thought it was odd not to work with MvdP in that moment, when it was Alpecin that had the numerical advantage. Who knows, if the two have a huge gap over the rest (which let's be real, they very well might have) maybe vdP even would have waited in case of a mechanical.

Without the mechanical, I don't think it would have mattered and the race would have ended with a two men sprint in the Velodrome either way. But van Aert had the opportunity to destroy his rivals numerical advantage and didn't use it. I really think Alpecin should have attacked with Philipsen to form a group with someone like Ganna or Küng. No way they would have been caught with vdP sucking wheels. Eventually it worked out for them anyway, but I really think they dodged a bullet with the van Aert mechanical.

Reactions: dobrien
i dont agree with vwpe.

One but though, I do notice Van Aert is often very reactive in the biggest classics. More watching on what his opponents do, hope to latch on and beat them in the sprint than really trying stuff out of the box himself.
During PR was the first time he also didn't ride much with the group, partly because he had Jumbo teammates behind, partly because he didn't want to risk VDP attacking again while he was riding.

I do believe WvA could force more in the monuments for himself if he dares to try. If there's one big difference between VDP and WvA in classics is that the first usually takes the iniative and WvA rarely does. He did open in the race in Roubaix I'll give him that but apart from that he's usually very reactive. I think he can get better results if he tries stuff out of the box/surprise attack etc.

Take it one step further why is that you think? Entire peleton knows why and noone more than Van Aert its no coincidence, believe me you would be surprised if you knew the amount of planning and strategic (ai even) strategic approach to the big monuments the big teams have and do.

If you ask Van Aert why that is, the reason is MVDP cause he knows hes stronger he has said it several times when ive talked to him in fact, he will straight up say this if MVDP is not there he races exactly like that. Agree he needs to spice it with long range attacks and do something else otherwice the same results will just continue to happen , that MVDP ride away from him in the end or outpowers 90% of the times, trust me Van Aert knows more than anyone on this earth the power MVDP can put out, there no shade or shame its just is what it is. If you on the other hand hear what MVDP says every single time and his approach is very telling his entire approach is to make the race as hard as possible he says it all the time.....

I tihnk MVDP has the highest monumental results statistic now of all time? Anyone know this? but the sport director of trek said this yesterday, dont know havent vetted that myself if its true or not but yeah.

Last edited:
Take it one step further why is that you think? Entire peleton knows why and noone more than Van Aert.

If you ask Van Aert why that is, the reason is MVDP cause he knows hes stronger he has said it several times when ive talked to him in fact, he will straight up say this if MVDP is not there he races exactly like that. Agree he needs to spice it with long range attacks and do something else otherwice the same results will just continue to happen , that MVDP ride away from him in the end or outpowers 90% of the times, trust me Van Aert knows more than anyone on this earth the power MVDP can put out, there no shade or shame its just is what it is. If you on the other hand hear what MVDP says every single time and his approach is very telling his entire approach is to make the race as hard as possible he says it all the time.....

I tihnk MVDP has the highest monumental results statistic now of all time? Anyone know this? but the sport director of trek said this yesterday, dont know havent vetted that myself if its true or not but yeah.

Thank you for the insight!

I'm actually surprised people weren't talking about this more. I certainly thought it was odd not to work with MvdP in that moment, when it was Alpecin that had the numerical advantage. Who knows, if the two have a huge gap over the rest (which let's be real, they very well might have) maybe vdP even would have waited in case of a mechanical.

Without the mechanical, I don't think it would have mattered and the race would have ended with a two men sprint in the Velodrome either way. But van Aert had the opportunity to destroy his rivals numerical advantage and didn't use it. I really think Alpecin should have attacked with Philipsen to form a group with someone like Ganna or Küng. No way they would have been caught with vdP sucking wheels. Eventually it worked out for them anyway, but I really think they dodged a bullet with the van Aert mechanical.
He lost a 1v1 sprint in RVV2020 against Van der Poel after breaking free (together) in the final. He lost a threeway sprint against Pidcock in BP2021 after breaking free in the final. He got beaten by Pogacar in a sprint in Canada. He barely beat Alaphilippe in MSR, he barely beat Pidcock in Amstel. His sprint is suspect at best when he goes deep in the final. I also think he usually commits too much/hard in a break effort. I remember Pidcock saying as much in Brabantse Pijl, that every time Van Aert took the lead, the pace went up. I think he was fine with Van der Poel doing all the efforts while Van Aert was saving energy for once. He usually commits fully in a break. Given the fact that he still has only MSR, i think that was probably the smart thing to do, and we might have seen a different outcome this time, had he not punctured. It's easier to race freely when you already have a couple of monuments in the bag.

One but though, I do notice Van Aert is often very reactive in the biggest classics. More watching on what his opponents do, hope to latch on and beat them in the sprint than really trying stuff out of the box himself.
During PR was the first time he also didn't ride much with the group, partly because he had Jumbo teammates behind, partly because he didn't want to risk VDP attacking again while he was riding.

I do believe WvA could force more in the monuments for himself if he dares to try. If there's one big difference between VDP and WvA in classics is that the first usually takes the iniative and WvA rarely does. He did open in the race in Roubaix I'll give him that but apart from that he's usually very reactive. I think he can get better results if he tries stuff out of the box/surprise attack etc
Yes I have been saying this for years and it's why he is commonly referred to as Belgian Pozzato in here, look at how Ballan win 2008 worlds in Varese and WVA would never do an attack like that. That pre-arenberg attack on sunday was the first time I saw him take the initiative since strade 2020 (and he won there)

Yes I have been saying this for years and it's why he is commonly referred to as Belgian Pozzato in here, look at how Ballan win 2008 worlds in Varese and WVA would never do an attack like that. That pre-arenberg attack on sunday was the first time I saw him take the initiative since strade 2020 (and he won there)

Great example, you can always back it up with facts.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
It's just something I notice in big races, I wouldn't say he is a Pozzato because Wout always works. I just think he is very reactive. Focussed on the big moments in race, but hardly ever putting in the surprising attack himself.

There are some races he did solo to the win when he was by far the outright strongest but that behavior is gone when he is in race with other racers of the same category as he is. I just think he could do better for himself with a bit more dare to lose attitude

I mean what good would attacking do in any of the spots that you guys are sketching.

Or am I supposed to believe Van der Poel or Pogacar wouldn't react if Van Aert attacks Poggio or that he magically is more explosive just because of the moral boost from finally attacking.

Reactions: dobrien

In one of the GCN videos they claimed (Dan L) that Van der Poel had the best stats in Monuments participations. I didn’t bother to check but it may be correct given relatively few starts paired with exceptional results.

I mean what good would attacking do in any of the spots that you guys are sketching.

Or am I supposed to believe Van der Poel or Pogacar wouldn't react if Van Aert attacks Poggio or that he magically is more explosive just because of the moral boost from finally attacking.
He put himself in a position to win Roubix on Sunday by doing precisely the kind of attack that he should have been doing the last 2 years.

Reactions: Salvarani
like ive said now and many will know i said even before sanremo started what MVDP would do and van aert would do (its not exactly something which havent happened the past 5 years basicly so nothing new.)

As ive said i talk to these people and ive talked to van aert himself several times he would say the same and hence why the reason he race like that in big monuments everytime MVDP is in it its no coincidence like someone maby wish to think its just pretty obvious and straight forward... just as there no coincidence whys MVDP only objective is to make it as hard possible which he says everytime and one can see from the road aswell...''
'Van Aert came up against a better opponent' - No Monuments, no complaints from Jumbo-Visma''
Zeemans mouth himself just like i said and every other person who actually watched the races and cycling last years who dont do wishful tinking or alter things and results which havent happened in order to benefit what they want,,,its really straight forward to judge based on what happen on the actuall rode...

In sanremo dropped, flandern dropped and in PR he should atleast be able to drop Philipsen if any thoughts should even be entertained if he was able to beat MVDP in this particular edition...then atleast he should be able to drop PHILIPSEN which also even had done far more work and was way less fresh he should drop him with EASE just yeah and start gaining on MVDP who did evne more work if he even was close to his lvl thats just this year NVM their rest of their careers on the biggest stage...

People really cant be mad just cause they dont like the outcome of reality of what happens...when its this big sample size its not one race were talking about here.

Like I said so many times and now Zeeman himself just came up aginast better opponent no shame in that Van Aert is still great rider and nothing to be ashamed of etc and only time will tell if Van Aert can take the extra step up or not i wish him best of luck.

Last edited:
like ive said now and many will know i said even before sanremo started what MVDP would do and van aert would do (its not exactly something which havent happened the past 5 years basicly so nothing new.)

As ive said i talk to these people and ive talked to van aert himself several times he would say the same and hence why the reason he race like that in big monuments everytime MVDP is in it its no coincidence like someone maby wish to think its just pretty obvious and straight forward... just as there no coincidence whys MVDP only objective is to make it has hard possible which he says everytime and one can see from the road aswell...''
'Van Aert came up against a better opponent' - No Monuments, no complaints from Jumbo-Visma''
Zeemans mouth himself just like i said and every other person who actually watched the races and cycling last years who dont do wishful tinking or alter things and results which havent happened in order to benefit what they want,,,its really straight forward to judge based on what happen on the actuall rode...

In sanremo dropped, flandern dropped and in PR he should atleast be able to drop Philipsen if any thoughts should even be entertained if he was able to beat MVDP in this particular edition...then atleast he should be able to drop PHILIPSEN which also even had done far more work and was way less fresh he should drop him with EASE just yeah and start gaining on MVDP who did evne more work if he even was close to his lvl thats just this year NVM their rest of their careers on the biggest stage...

People really cant be mad just cause they dont like the outcome of reality of what happens...when its this big sample size its not one race were talking about here.

Like I said so many times and now Zeeman himself just came up aginast better opponent no shame in that Van Aert is still great rider and nothing to be ashamed of etc and only time will tell if Van Aert can take the extra step up or not i wish him best of luck.
You will not last in this forum.

Reactions: tobydawq

TRENDING THREADS