• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 135 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They've been playing the wrong anthem after each of Van der Poel's wins, same goes for Verstappen (although F1 is not a sport). Brabanconne should be blasting through the speakers instead.
If Belgium had the same laws as the USA, all three of them would have the Belgian nationality. If i remember correctly, being born in the US automatically makes you a US citizen. Van Aert, Van der Poel and Verstappen were all born in Belgium, so yes.

Finally Wout played to his strengths in the sprint, and didn't let Mathieu surprise him. Of course in a race like Flanders MVDP has an extra gear, and Wout was the weakest of the three on the climbs, so there could be a scenario where MVDP and Pogi drop him, or where Wout messes up his sprint again.

One thing is for sure: when Wout is around, suddenly Jumbo doesn't look that strong anymore. It's like they all forget how to race. He's like their anti-talisman.

Finally Wout played to his strengths in the sprint, and didn't let Mathieu surprise him. Of course in a race like Flanders MVDP has an extra gear, and Wout was the weakest of the three on the climbs, so there could be a scenario where MVDP and Pogi drop him, or where Wout messes up his sprint again.

One thing is for sure: when Wout is around, suddenly Jumbo doesn't look that strong anymore. It's like they all forget how to race. He's like their anti-talisman.
I don't understand why Jumbo didn't brink Tratnik

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Lets not forget that Omloop and Kuurne kinda was a joke this year. Nobody of the absolute best riders actually attended, so of course Jumbo could dominate with numbers and really high level. You cant do that against Mathieu and Pogacar because you're just getting owned, look at Flanders last year as an example.

This Wout narrative is quite stupid. Its about top end talent if you want to win the big races, Benoot and Laporte aint cutting it at Flanders - sorry to break it!

Reactions: jono
You could argue that Alpecin's SKA is a cobbled classics lieutenant at least on the level of the best that Jumbo can offer. On current form. Edit: I forgot about van Baarle. But I'd put him up there with Laporte and Benoot.

Do we expect UCI to comment on chain lube-gate?

Lets not forget that Omloop and Kuurne kinda was a joke this year. Nobody of the absolute best riders actually attended, so of course Jumbo could dominate with numbers and really high level. You cant do that against Mathieu and Pogacar because you're just getting owned, look at Flanders last year as an example.

This Wout narrative is quite stupid. Its about top end talent if you want to win the big races, Benoot and Laporte aint cutting it at Flanders - sorry to break it!
I think Van Baarle would be great to have in front. But it's hard to get a decent gap when Pogacar keeps blasting every hill.

His former DS was saying Pog didn't follow the plan last year in De Ronde, so I'm curious waht it means. My guess is he attacked too early in de Ronde last year.

Benoot and Laporte have both had really good results in Flanders, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Obviously they're no Pogacar or Van der Poel, but nobody is. The fact is that they didn't race today like they raced in Omloop or Kuurne. That's not simply a matter of level of competition, it's also a matter of intention.

TRENDING THREADS