• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 154 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Van Aert talking about how he won't race the Tour like he did last year. "You can get better after the Tour, but not if you race it like I did. After the Tour I didn't feel like a human anymore"

He also mentions he tried to fit the Giro into his schedule, but couldn't make it work with the WC.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Good thing he didn't race the Giro in a year where Roglic also targetted it IMO.

It makes sense though, I have never seen a performance like Wout in that Tour. He was incredible, and so it obvious he can't ride like that again if he wants to win WC. He should obviously still contest stages, but you can't get in the break every god damn day, lmao.

Good thing he didn't race the Giro in a year where Roglic also targetted it IMO.

It makes sense though, I have never seen a performance like Wout in that Tour. He was incredible, and so it obvious he can't ride like that again if he wants to win WC. He should obviously still contest stages, but you can't get in the break every god damn day, lmao.
There is nothing Van Aert would do in a Giro that's incompatible with Roglic going for GC. Go for reduced bunch sprints, then lose breakaways cause there's 30 guys in the breakaway and nobody wants to pull with you.

Sounds like 'TDF Wout' is getting nicely warmed up...

Wout van Aert is not slowing down in his preparations for the Tour de France. Just a few days after a long training camp up in the Sierra Nevada, the Belgian has travelled to Switzerland for another round at altitude.

After impressing at the Critérium du Dauphiné in recent years, Van Aert will switch to the Tour de Suisse this year as his pre-Tour race outing, the eight-stage race taking place the week after the Dauphiné and starting on June 11.

The Belgian has travelled to Switzerland early, clocking a ride on his gravel bike in the Alps on Thursday afternoon.

According to the file named 'Oops forgot to bring my road bike' he uploaded to his Strava account, he started and finished the ride part-way up the Bernina Pass, at an altitude of 2,000 metres above sea level.

His big summer goals (TdF and WC) are coming soon but his wife is also heavily pregnant and they are expecting their second child this summer. I'm curious if that could impact his schedule.

He'll probably hope it happens in between the TdS and the TdF but if it happens during the Tour I'm wondering if he'll choose to stay in the race and possibly miss the birth of his child. I'm guessing this must have already been discussed between Van Aert and the Jumbo-Visma camp since it would be a big risk/blow for Vingegaard if Van Aert were to have to leave the race early.

"Een weerzien met Wout van Aert is altijd aangenaam."

Translation: A reunion with Wout van Aert is always pleasant. :hearteyes:

His main plan for the worlds seems to be going okay, i guess.

His team might not agree but for WvA, clearly the worlds have to be his biggest objective of the season. Not green, not stage wins in the TdF & not riding for Vingegaard (who looks like he doesn't need any help from anyone anyway).

The rainbow jersey would be huge.

His big summer goals (TdF and WC) are coming soon but his wife is also heavily pregnant and they are expecting their second child this summer. I'm curious if that could impact his schedule.

He'll probably hope it happens in between the TdS and the TdF but if it happens during the Tour I'm wondering if he'll choose to stay in the race and possibly miss the birth of his child. I'm guessing this must have already been discussed between Van Aert and the Jumbo-Visma camp since it would be a big risk/blow for Vingegaard if Van Aert were to have to leave the race early.

Apparently, his wife is expected to give birth a couple of days after the Tour. He does say however that when it should happen prematurely during the Tour, he'll leave the Tour early because he does not want to miss the birth of his child.

Apparently, his wife is expected to give birth a couple of days after the Tour. He does say however that when it should happen prematurely during the Tour, he'll leave the Tour early because he does not want to miss the birth of his child.
Don't worry, Jumbo has several WVA cardboard cutouts for use whenever needed during the TDF.

Can't the team arrange a maternity van to follow the TdF?! :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS