Official Lance Armstrong Thread: Part 4 (Post-Settlement)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It would've been interesting to see how Macur would've reconciled/ rewritten the rest of the book with the one original "gem" about 1992 had she had the time to do so. As in the classic joke about the senior driver, at some point of the journey, it should've been obvious who is driving the motorway the wrong way.

One reason I was (am) somewhat skeptical about amphetamine "leaking" from the pharmacies is that it is one of the drugs which has rarely a brand name attached to it in the post-1970 doping literature after the Pervitin / Benzedrine - period whereas we know the brands of steroids (Winstrol, Stromba, Dianabol), T (Andriol, Sustanon), cortisone (Kenacort) and EPO (Epogen, Eprex) described by the users themselves. This is partly explained by the fact that particularly steroids tend to have only c:a one producer and the molecule is generically the brand name.

It is true that in the 2010s there have been some narcolepcy-medicines abused with the brand names mentioned (particularly relating to e-sport), but Woet, Kimmage et al just tend to traffic / use generic "amphetamine".

About Lance and recreational drugs, I think that Wheelmen has Landis's account of Lance snorting cocaine with two strippers mid night during a training camp in Texas (in Stapleton's office building, IIRC).

Also just to expand on this issue, during his real domination years, Armstrong's main rival was a total diesel engine without any real acceleration whatsoever on the climbs (Ullrich, i.e. a guy who at his peak would simply blow his rivals up in his wheel without placing an acceleration). But Pantani in 2000 could compete with the Lance accelerations, as could Mayo in the following Tours & especially Valverde in 2005.

So in this instance, it was really just the particular profile of Armstrong's rivals which made his own "punch" on the cols look more impressive than they were. That's my opinion anyway, because if we take that era's riders in their "ultimate" Dragon Ball Z form, peak Contador would have danced around off his saddle alongside peak Armstrong (throw in peak Riis & peak Pantani as well), so where does that leave the "exclusive Lance" mechanized bike theory?

Lance was simply a punchy fast accelerator - doped up to his eyeballs like many others.
Yea he was had a better acceleration that Ullrich but thats not how he won his races. He usually attacked way down in a climb, then till the finishline he put a good 2 mins or so into everybody else because he was just a lot faster throughout the whole effort, in fact he could have raced just like Ullrich with a steady, even pace and it would have been one nobody could follow. Peak Pantani was putting out similar w/kg, Mayo came in LAs downyear and Valverde outsprinted him one time in 2005. Overall in 2004 and 2005 we didnt see any of those LA attacks, he was pretty much just following his main competitors (mostly Basso) and counted on the time advantage he accumulated in TTs. I dont know if thats cos the others guys were closer to his level uphill or he feel he didnt need to due to them being much inferior timetrailers.

Reactions: Fantastico
Yea he was had a better acceleration that Ullrich but thats not how he won his races. He usually attacked way down in a climb, then till the finishline he put a good 2 mins or so into everybody else because he was just a lot faster throughout the whole effort, in fact he could have raced just like Ullrich with a steady, even pace and it would have been one nobody could follow. Peak Pantani was putting out similar w/kg, Mayo came in LAs downyear and Valverde outsprinted him one time in 2005. Overall in 2004 and 2005 we didnt see any of those LA attacks, he was pretty much just following his main competitors (mostly Basso) and counted on the time advantage he accumulated in TTs. I dont know if thats cos the others guys were closer to his level uphill or he feel he didnt need to due to them being much inferior timetrailers.
He did attack in 2004 on the first MTF, but Basso was able to follow.

He did attack in 2004 on the first MTF, but Basso was able to follow.
Yea, true. Just rewatched the stage, also Kloeden and Mancebo were just seconds behind, nothing like his attacks from 1999 to 2002. That last MTF 2003 was his last real attack which resulted in him gaining significant time on everyone else. If Jan Ullrich just had his 2003-form in 2004 and 2005 it could have been a very close race, considering LA wasnt that much better in the TTs comparing to Ullrich. Unless LA had another gear he wasnt showing.

As you say, she goes from saying that EPO was in use as early as 1987/1988 yet Gewiss 1994 was still somehow shocking. When no one's willing to talk to Catlin about widespread EPO use in 1988 she thinks omertà when others might think they actually did have nothing to say on the subject. And she says that Motorola was already using EPO in 1993 but when Gewiss 1994 happens she has Armstrong and the others questioning Testa on what EPO is and whether and how they should use it.

WRT Hendershot in general. I dunno, but I just didn't buy much of what Macur said about him. Like a lot of Americans writing about cycling she has a tendency to over-egg the pudding. She doesn't question the mythologising, she joins in (even as she debunks the central myth of LA himself). It's like she has a picture of the sport - romantically rotten to the core - not an understanding of its nuances. Most of what she wrote about Hendershot is online, here's a key bit:If you believe Macur Hendershot is Choppy Warburton meets Biagio Cavanna meets Raymond le Bert at a time when swannies were really more like the half-invisible Willy Voet or Jef D’hont.

I do believe what Hendershot says about cortisone and testosterone but then I find it hard to imagine any team (even Köchli 's) in the 1980s and 1990s not having access to cortisone and testosterone. FFS, Swart says even ANC had access to that level of doping and they were riding on pocket money. I don't believe what Hendershot says about EPO.
To your point many US Continental riders were very versed in available effective and stupidly ineffective doping products. Hell, any high-school jock that went into a gym could gain the same knowledge. US Riders were not well paid until after the LA games and then only a few. EPO was financially a stretch for most until the 90's. Motorola definitely had info and access after '95 to prep for the Atlanta RR. Before that it would be a guess when it became a team thing.

Lance @50
The Dad narrative develops
It was the words of the first of his five children that made the Sheriff collapse: "Dad, my schoolmates torment me and tell me that you are a 'cheater', but I defend you and say that I don't it is true".
Reported in Gazzetta (Italiano, paywalled after paragraph one)

Since the only paragraph not paywalled mentions his son’s recent legal trouble : I’m not sure it’s an issue anymore. I don’t know how long these issues usually take, but during the TdF I wondered why there hadn’t been any news for months so I looked it up on google : no article but "something" (some kind of court appearence I guess) was scheduled mid september in a PDF with hundreds of others scheduled courtdates. I looked it up again about a week ago and there wasn’t anything scheduled anymore for a Luke Armstrong. Not a postpone date, just nothing anymore. So I don’t know, maybe it’s over...

Last edited:
Since the only paragraph not paywalled mentions his son’s recent legal trouble : I’m not sure it’s an issue anymore. I don’t know how long these issues usually take, but during the TdF I wondered why there hadn’t been any news for months so I looked it up on google : no article but "something" (some kind of court appearence I guess) was scheduled mid september in a PDF with hundreds of others scheduled courtdates. I looked it up again about a week ago and there wasn’t anything scheduled anymore for a Luke Armstrong. Not a postpone date, just nothing anymore. So I don’t know, maybe it’s over...
I'm sure Wonderboy had something to do with it "suddenly disappearing" from any dockets. Wonderboy STILL has millions and enough to make it all go away.

Look how long "The Bernie Madoff of Cycling" held off all the PED positives and lies he had, was over a decade. He knows who to contact, who to pay off and what to do, to make stuff go away.

Oct 22, 2019
With Covid, the courts are getting backed up, and a lot of cases are getting quietly dropped if they're not very strong. With this be a he said/she said, that could be what's going on here.

With Covid, the courts are getting backed up, and a lot of cases are getting quietly dropped if they're not very strong. With this be a he said/she said, that could be what's going on here.
Most likely something like that. Even without the Covid, a 3 years old accusation between 2 teenagers who (allegedly) kept having sex after the alleged assault was always going to be super hard to prove. I don’t and will never know if there was a rape but I definitly knew he was never going to go to jail. Anyway, we shall see but probably end of a chapter we would never have heard of if it wasn’t a famous people’s son

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N The Clinic 10

ASK THE COMMUNITY