• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Official thread: le Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Official thread: le Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré

Predicting the distribution of jerseys in the TdF and discussing who will occupy which step on the podium on Sunday, July 26th, that's even for this dutch guy a bridge too far.

Instead, I propose to start ranting, discussing, predicting and accusing anything and anyone that's related to this year's Dauphiné Libéré. The start is only 6 days away, starting with a long 12k TT Nancy-Nancy the 7th of June.

here's a link to the official website, and I noticed steephill is building a section dedicated to this event.

http://criterium.ledauphine.com/criterium09/edition-2009,liste-des-etapes,1.html

Eurosport.fr has live images from the rather late prologue, starting at 18:00 Paris time.

Bala Verde said:
Predicting the distribution of jerseys in the TdF and discussing who will occupy which step on the podium on Sunday, July 26th, that's even for this dutch guy a bridge too far.

Instead, I propose to start ranting, discussing, predicting and accusing anything and anyone that's related to this year's Dauphiné Libéré. The start is only 6 days away, starting with a long 12k TT Nancy-Nancy the 7th of June.

here's a link to the official website, and I noticed steephill is building a section dedicated to this event.

http://criterium.ledauphine.com/criterium09/edition-2009,liste-des-etapes,1.html

Eurosport.fr has live images from the rather late prologue, starting at 18:00 Paris time.
Hey Bala Verde, is your brother Valverde riding?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Hey Bala Verde, is your brother Valverde riding?

I heard Boonen is, as well as Basso.

This is what I found on the official site

http://www.ledauphine.com/index.jspz?chaine=81&article=122406&xtor=RSS-81

3 Valverde pourra-t-il défendre son titre ? Vainqueur en 2008, l'Espagnol est depuis le début de la saison empêtré par les remous de l'affaire Puerto. Convoqué devant la Procure du comité olympique italien le 11 mai prochain, une institution qui détiendrait la preuve de son implication dans ce réseau de dopage sanguin, le coureur de la Caisse d'Épargne risque une suspension de deux ans sur le territoire transalpin que l'UCI aura ensuite le loisir d'étendre ou non à tous les pays. Pour l'heure, Valverde court et laisse ses avocats gérer ce délicat dossier qui prend même une tournure diplomatique entre l'Espagne et l'Italie. Mais rien, en tout cas, ne laisse actuellement présager son absence à Nancy le 7 juin prochain où il remettra son titre en jeu.

So I guess, yes, he will participate.

Here is also a list of confirmed riders.
http://www.ledauphine.com/la-partic...-favori-@/index.jspz?chaine=81&article=122410

and here is a provisional start list

http://criterium.ledauphine.com/criterium09/pdf/Liste_Engages.pdf

I could call him though....:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
So it is an spanish affair between Contador and Valverde I guess, with Cadel Evans as an outsider.

I expect Gesink to be in the mix as well. Lots of tough climbing, including 3 mountain top finishes, a prologue that features a 3k 4.5% climb and a long (42k) TT (of which I haven't seen the profile yet), which he seems to digest better and better every time.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
So it is an spanish affair between Contador and Valverde I guess, with Cadel Evans as an outsider.

I guess you're right.

I hope Anton can finally show some form after a couple of lean years, and I wonder how much Nibali has improved in the big climbs compared to last year.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I expect Gesink to be in the mix as well. Lots of tough climbing, including 3 mountain top finishes, a prologue that features a 3k 4.5% climb and a long (42k) TT (of which I haven't seen the profile yet), which he seems to digest better and better every time.

I hope Gesink can do something. I rather think though, we need to give him another year or two to mature.

Link to TT:http://criterium.ledauphine.com/criterium09/files/1240410164.pdf

There's no course profile, but the altitude is listed, it goes a bit up and down, guess it favours Contador.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The time trial stage near Valence is very flat. It should favour Evans. Other GC contenders to the names mentioned above include Nibali and Gerdemann

Contador has said he'll race but not be pushing for the win. I suspect he'll try to push it in the TT stage to test himself and perhaps on Ventoux but not on the longer stages. Others to watch include Dan Martin for the mountain stages and to see if Devolder can deliver his promise to be a GC contender, he'll need to climb consistently this week.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
One of my very favourite races of the year - but unfortunate that a) it clashes with Tour de Suisse (sort it out UCI!) and b) modern preparation methods dictate that you can't race well here and at the Tour

Having said which, Contador will want to lay down some markers here for the undisputed Astana leadership

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Looking forward to Devolder as well, but I guess he won't be giving it all either, in light of his Tour goals. But he should try and test himself in the TT, and maybe one of the uphill finishes. As long as he doesn't burn himself up like he did in last years Austria tour.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Valverde peaked too early last year so if he has learned anything he won't win this year. Contador won't take any risks and won't be in his peak form yet so I'm going to count him out too (unless he is really on gear and can win it with 80% fitness).

So counting those two out I'll go with Evans for the win.

I'd like to see Linus Gerdeman do something. Also, whatever happened to Moreau? Where's he at this year? I couldn't find him on the provisional start list, and I think the race will be hurt by his absence.

EDIT: Add to the above a possible stage win from Cyril Dessel. That would be cool.

If Contador's smart, he'll lay low a bit like he did the year he won the Tour. I think he finished top 10 at the Dauphiné that year but was fairly anonymous.

I say Gesink and Valverde are good picks(I still don't think Alejandro will make it to the TdF start, so this would be a way to go out with a bang). Maybe Zubeldia? He was awfully strong at Catalunya and can TT well when he's on.

Agree with some other posters - It will be interesting to see how Devolder, Anton, and Nibali are going. Gadret and Gerdemann, too.

I'm going to go with Gesink as well, and agree Contador will probably be up there, but concentrate on the TTs.

The last four stages are mountainous. Steephill's page is almost there, and you can see a lot of details.

The Tour goes through Italy on Stage 16 I believe, so Valverde won't be there. If I were to guess, at this point he's basing his year on the Vuelta, as long as the Dutch let him race. Though I think the course really favors Sammy Sanchez, who is basing his entire season on winning it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
Looking forward to Devolder as well, but I guess he won't be giving it all either, in light of his Tour goals. But he should try and test himself in the TT, and maybe one of the uphill finishes. As long as he doesn't burn himself up like he did in last years Austria tour.

What is the deal with Stijn nowadays. Last thing I heard was that he himself did not see himself as a 'GC' cyclist, which I could understand with an eye on the 3 weeks stage races. The 1 week stage races however should suit him fairly well. Is he aiming at those, or does he 'just' want to do well in the TTs and/or win a stage?

I think Valverde will want to win the Dauphine again, given he won't be in the TdF. When it comes to Gesink, I don't know if he uses the DL in prep to the TdF, or that he will try to win the race. I mean, if anyone, even Contador, is in a position to win, they'll never want to let it slip, but I don't know what Gesink's real objectives are in this year's DL. A stage win and a good TT, or the overall...

RdBiker said:
Valverde peaked too early last year so if he has learned anything he won't win this year. Contador won't take any risks and won't be in his peak form yet so I'm going to count him out too (unless he is really on gear and can win it with 80% fitness).

So counting those two out I'll go with Evans for the win.

Valverde has no other option but to win it, since his TDF participation is pending..
I'd like to see Contador destroying the competition in the Ventoux Stage and then twitter to LA "is it truth that U haven't won here, have U?:D

A

Anonymous

bianchigirl said:
One of my very favourite races of the year - but unfortunate that a) it clashes with Tour de Suisse (sort it out UCI!)

i dunno.. i like the fact that that some riders choose dL and some TdeS... makes it interesting, and makes for a good two weeks television.. :D They should just combine them one year and ride the two consecutively one after the other..

i gotta funny feeling cadel is going to win.. i hope not.. and will probably turn my tv off by wednesday if it looks like he will, but he surely, surely at some point must win something..

cant find a tour de suisse provisional list yet.. maybe in a week...

As for valverde... well.. saying nowt.. lol... i know the UCI have done nothing yhet, but its been weeks since italy.. its really time something was decided for once and for all... the ASO seem to have different rules for different people.. :/

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Bala Verde said:
What is the deal with Stijn nowadays. Last thing I heard was that he himself did not see himself as a 'GC' cyclist, which I could understand with an eye on the 3 weeks stage races. The 1 week stage races however should suit him fairly well. Is he aiming at those, or does he 'just' want to do well in the TTs and/or win a stage?
As far as I understand, after last years Tour debacle Devolder is a bit more cautious to talk about his ambitions in this years Tour. But I do think he isn't any less ambitious, on the contrary even. I think he still believes he can make it into the top 10, but to the outside world and the press - critical after not living up to his ambitions in the 2007 Vuelta and 2008 Tour - he will level down his aspirations, and maybe indeed settle for a stage win and a good TT performance.

I do believe he has it in him to perform well in 1-week stage races, even winning them. And a top 5 spot in a GT, why not? He's got endurance, the timetrial, and he can climb. But in order to do that, he'd have to turn around his entire preparation and usual racing routine, probably lose a bit of weight too. And that means giving up on Flanders and Roubaix and the other cobbled classics he lost his heart to. But he made clear he could and would not ever do that. So as long as he insists on combining both the classics and GT's, he'll never really excell in the latter.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Very interesting with the likes of Contador, Valverde and Evans showing their latest form, I like Basso for some reason too if he's on the start list.

TRENDING THREADS