• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Oh dear Valverde!

From CN home page:

Spaniard believes in sporting merit of American's Tour victories

Alejandro Valverde has voiced his support of Lance Armstrong in the wake of Monday's decision by the UCI to accept USADA's ban of the American rider and disqualify his results dating back to 1998, including all seven Tour de France titles. The Movistar Spaniard believes in the sporting merit of Armstrong's Tour de France victories.

"The Tours were won with his legs, his body and let no one believe that he did not suffer for his success," Valverde told Marca.

Valverde's debut Tour de France in 2005 overlapped with what was Armstrong's final Tour victory. In fact, Valverde earned his first Tour de France stage win that year in a head-to-head duel with Armstrong at the conclusion of stage 10 in Courchevel.

Valverde himself has direct experience with drug sanctions as the Spaniard returned to racing this season following a two-year ban during the 2010-2011 seasons. While never testing positive, DNA tests on blood samples linked him to the Operación Puerto doping scandal and what began initially as a ban in Italy was extended worldwide after the World Anti-Doping Agency and the UCI appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in the wake of his own federation's reluctance to take action.

Regarding Armstrong's doping ban, Valverde echoed the sentiment of compatriot Samuel Sanchez in what he perceived as a surfeit of direct evidence of Armstrong doping and instead the reliance on testimony. Valverde was also critical of former riders who are speaking out now after having retired.

"Why not speak when you were competing? Speaking out now that your are retired. Why? To screw others?" Valverde said.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
wannab said:
Just ban these suc.kers for life, they have no place in cycling, surely not with that attitude ...

The Spanish Amarda. Valverde, S.Sanchez and Indurain all out in support of Armstrong.

Let's hope their boat gets sunk!

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
TrackCynic said:
Jesus. Is there really any reason to follow pro cycling any more? I mean, are they all just a bunch of c#nts embroiled in this whole fiasco?

To be honest. No.

Over the last few days I have just completely given up hope.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what to think. Not that Valverde can ever be pointed to as a model citizen of the peloton, but the defence of Armstrong by Valverde, Samu, and Indurain is simply too much. I'm dumbfounded.

Is the stench of cheating through pharmaceutical enhancement in cycling that commonplace that it has become the accepted norm? I think that's one way to explain away why Valverde and others have come to Pharmstrong's defence, they maybe don't see it as that big a deal.

Again, I'm dumbfounded.

After reading that article i nearly choked.

The old guys need to go. Simple. Bring on the young new guys and lets see some real racing. The racing where you see guys having a bad day every now and then.

The sooner these guys are gone, the sooner we can stop listening to them spout absolute rubbish.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
While I sure some will see this as xenophobia, the fact is that there's a pervading attitude in Spanish cycling that mimics Ferrari's point of view: it's only cheating when you test positive. From Indurain on down to these guys, that attitude is clear as day. I don't know what can be down to change that way of thinking, because numerous doping scandals in Spain certainly haven't changed the outlook of the riders, fans or those involved with the federation.

The Spanish are hardly alone. Boonen's comments on USADA and whole LA affair sounded pretty much the same, and the Belgium federation seems about as interested in clean competition as Spain. Bottom line, Euro racing is about 1 step removed from the WWF, and as long as the national feds are the ones handling drug testing and managing results, that's not going to change.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
Is the stench of cheating through pharmaceutical enhancement in cycling that commonplace that it has become the accepted norm? I think that's one way to explain away why Valverde and others have come to Pharmstrong's defence, they maybe don't see it as that big a deal.

Yup. Berto, Samu, Piti etc. Those are the rules they play by no doubt.

ferryman said:
Spaniard believes in sporting merit of American's Tour victories

Alejandro Valverde has voiced his support of Lance Armstrong in the wake of Monday's decision by the UCI to accept USADA's ban of the American rider and disqualify his results dating back to 1998, including all seven Tour de France titles. The Movistar Spaniard believes in the sporting merit of Armstrong's Tour de France victories.

"The Tours were won with his legs, his body and let no one believe that he did not suffer for his success," Valverde told Marca.

I want to see Pereiro make this argument. :)

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
trompe le monde said:
Again, I'm dumbfounded.

It always has been - it is the culture of the "sport".
The problem is that the fan base has been watching/sold something different to what is actually happening and now they're not happy.
Is it the fault of the riders, the organisers, the promoters or the fans?
Maybe it's all of them?

When you consider that there is no rider union, no employer peak body, multiple promoters (most journalists fit in here), multiple organisers and a diverse range of fans (with different attitudes, now and over time) it's really no wonder that the vision of what is a relatively pure sport is really really muddy.
Fundamentally without fans there is no sport though so I think the other stakeholders need to open their eyes and ears before all their separate KPI's take a downward plunge.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Too much

I'm sorry, but this is too much. At some point the Spanish have to be tackled on this constant madness. Do Spanish fans not care for the reputation of their country, of their people? I know that, as an Irishman, McQuaid is making me cringe.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Never liked Valverde, this just justifies my feelings.
You're a doper, you got caught, you don't seem sorry and I don't care for you.
Great rider, yes. Great person for cycling, no.
At least now that you're back you could keep your mouth shut and tow the line, and stop trying to to keep our sport down in the dirt to suit your agenda.

Current pros like you who refuse to acknowledge the evil deeds of Lance etc do nothing but perpetrate the notion that cycling is as corrupt as pro boxing.

martinvickers said:
I'm sorry, but this is too much. At some point the Spanish have to be tackled on this constant madness. Do Spanish fans not care for the reputation of their country, of their people? I know that, as an Irishman, McQuaid is making me cringe.

Oh, i am so thrilled you brought that up (for the second time this day):

Here is what two "spanish fans" said just an hour ago or so:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=18772&page=82

Good for you that you as an irishman doesnt like McQuaid. No one wouldnt nail irishmen because of McQuaid though.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Do Spanish fans not care for the reputation of their country, of their people?

I think they have other things on their minds at the moment, like keeping their jobs or looking for work while there's 20+ per cent unemployment.

I know that, as an Irishman, McQuaid is making me cringe.

I'm only a quarter Irish but he's having the same effect on me!

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
What do we really expect from these guys? Are they to now turn themselves in just because Armstrong got busted and some US riders were forced to confess? It's great for us fans to think about the riders getting clean and all the dopers facing serious consequences; but wouldn't that leave us with 10 riders next year? Not to mention all the DS's, team doctors and corrupt officials. There'd be no sport left!

Sounds like they are kissing up so they don't get torn down as more stuff hits the fan....

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
This sport is so hard to love with all the tools coming out of the wood work. I am getting sick of it, starting to wish cycling is kicked out of the Olympics. At least riding my bike never disappoints.

martinvickers said:

No, just wins.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I said in the other thread before the Valverde comment that it's hard not to generalize the Spanish peloton (and I don't want to). But this just cements it. Three strikes! Who else is coming out to support Armstrong?

Rojas? Purito? Contador? Anybody?

honestly-not surprised at all. We all know that Valpiti is a serious advocate of the "Omerta" & the Ol' School ways" to do things- it has worked for him quite well-even with after his 2-year ban, he returns successfully to keep winning "like the ol' days" and nothing is going to change his habits-because "as long as you win races with your legs, body & mind AND NEVER TEST POSITIVE:rolleyes: the world should accept that as it is without ever questioning.....

sickening....

TRENDING THREADS