• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Okay, let's give him that thread: Colbrelli, you deserve it

So far, nobody has thought Sonny Colbrelli worthy of a thread. I would say that is a bit of a strange thing as he has been a major profile of professional cycling for several years.

This year, he has taken even another step with amazing rides in Romandie and Dauphiné, a commanding win in the Italian Nats, and now he got a third place on a MTF in his hunt for green in the Tour. Insane performance where he definitely benefitted from his beloved bad weather.

His green aspirations are looking quite good, I must say. 35 points on a mountain stage is amazing and better (points wise) than anything Sagan has ever done in a mountain stage in the Tour.

He will probably join Pogacar in a rain dance tomorrow on the rest day.

So far, nobody has thought Sonny Colbrelli worthy of a thread. I would say that is a bit of a strange thing as he has been a major profile of professional cycling for several years.

This year, he has taken even another step with amazing rides in Romandie and Dauphiné, a commanding win in the Italian Nats, and now he got a third place on a MTF in his hunt for green in the Tour. Insane performance where he definitely benefitted from his beloved bad weather.

His green aspirations are looking quite good, I must say. 35 points on a mountain stage is amazing and better (points wise) than anything Sagan has ever done in a mountain stage in the Tour.

He will probably join Pogacar in a rain dance tomorrow on the rest day.
What counts as a mountain stage? Does this count:

TDF%202012%20S14%20profile.jpg

20 points for the winner.

Okay, apparently that was all that was awarded on that stage as well. But are you seriously saying that third today is not more impressive than second on that stage?
I think he was just taking issue with the "better than anything Sagan did" bit of your post. An amazing ride from Sonny today, but Sagan won each of his jerseys in the mountains, one way or another.

Reactions: Sandisfan
What's up with the Bahrain hate and bashing? They're doing awesome - enjoy it! Colbrelli's ride today was an example of that. Finishing third on a stage like this, outlasting the likes of Quintana, Higuita, Martin etc. is truly amazing for a rider of his type. Chapeau!

Yeah, what's up with all the bashing, wouldn't we all enjoy Quintana winning bunch sprints?
Sorry. There's a reason.

Reactions: Luthor
So if a heavyweight like Colbrelli (over 70 kg) can convert his cycling to the mountains in a way we saw today, it shouldn't really be that hard hard for punchier guys also.
"Its too late", "he is too old", that shouldn't mater. Just ask to copy Colbrelli`s training schedules,

Yeah, what's up with all the bashing, wouldn't we all enjoy Quintana winning bunch sprints?
Sorry. There's a reason.

I would! Just for the pure WTFness of it all.
And I guess today Colbrelli had the advantage of getting into a break that got several minutes on the main climbers. Not like he went toe-to-toe with the GC favourites.

For the record: there is honestly nothing sarcastic about this thread on my part if there was doubt about it.

At least you didn't give it a title like "We Need to Give Colbrelli a Thread Before He Wins Green".

Great performance today. Loved to see it.

I think the weather might have played a big factor in todays performance. With the cold and rain. It was some classics type weather. "Bigger" guys seems to handle that better than the lightweights. Engine needed on a day like today. He is also in great form atm. He didnt lose that after the nationals. Just hasnt worked out in the sprints so far for him.

Stuyven was in the favorites group for a large part of the stage and into the last climb. Good stage from him also today.

Great performance today. Loved to see it.

I think the weather might have played a big factor in todays performance. With the cold and rain. It was some classics type weather. "Bigger" guys seems to handle that better than the lightweights. Engine needed on a day like today. He is also in great form atm. He didnt lose that after the nationals. Just hasnt worked out in the sprints so far for him.

Stuyven was in the favorites group for a large part of the stage and into the last climb. Good stage from him also today.
Definitely agree about the weather. Also a guy like Rutsch made it with the peloton until the Tignes climb. And Mads Pedersen was quite shockingly in the best third on the results sheet.

For the record: there is honestly nothing sarcastic about this thread on my part if there was doubt about it.
same here. I didn't even watch the stage today (as I had to race), but it's quite remarkable (3rd in a mtn stage, the shape he is in at the moment,...).

Does it have something to do with the team performing above par? I honestly don't know and won't even think about it until the season's over.
I am just enjoying a rider in fine form at the moment. It can all change very quickly, and I wouldn't suggest there is 'something' suspicious, imho a few months with good results are too short and thus pretty meaningless.

I thought with his form Colbrelli would go closer in the flat sprint finishes rather than do something like this.

Instead he is doiing worse in bunch sprints (5th, 11th and 11th) and this in the mountains. Bizarre.

It will be very hard to beat Cavendish for green with 50pts available for stage wins and Colbrelli taking results like that.

I thought with his form Colbrelli would go closer in the flat sprint finishes rather than do something like this.

Instead he is doiing worse in bunch sprints (5th, 11th and 11th) and this in the mountains. Bizarre.

It will be very hard to beat Cavendish for green with 50pts available for stage wins and Colbrelli taking results like that.

Well, bunch sprints has more to do with positioning than shape (at least when it comes to minor placings).

TRENDING THREADS