• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Olympic marathon champion, Sammy Wanjiru, commits suicide.

Olympic marathon champion, Sammy Wanjiru, dead, possible suicide.

Sammy Wanjiru commits suicide

I mention this because marathon is a very similar sport to our own in some ways and weve seen this story before.

Because its a similar sport some of you may have payed attention to this mans career.

Also I wonder if it is something about these endurance sports, which require a special mentality, that takes its toll on some people in such a way. I personally do not understand the idea of pushing oneself well through the pain barrier every day for the ultimate goal of a medal. When you take into account the glory, they are living with what one might call extreme feelings. A lot and lot of pain, followed by the ecstasy of victory, and then back to the pain, and then the glory. Perhaps in some cases the normal life, without the pain and without the aim and without the glory, is unusual and takes its toll too.

Anyway this guy was well on his way to becoming the greatest marathoner of all time. He was only 24 and already won the 4 big marathons + the olympics, was breaking records before he even turned 20. This in a sport where 30+ is where people start to hit their peak.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
It does sound like his personal life was kind of a mess.

A great loss to the world of sports. This guy was immensely talented.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I read the story and definitely did NOT get the impression that that was suicide.

Suicide is generally thought out, not done in the company of others, not done while being unlawfully imprisoned in your own house, and isn't done by jumping from the second floor.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
It would be kinda hard to make up a more entertaining story, unfortunately. Dude's wife comes home and finds him with another woman, and he ends up falling or jumping off the balcony in the ensuing argument. Yes, it is sad but try to take something away from the tragedy on this slow sports day.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
WoW......
:confused:

Does it matter that dude was hitting about 140 mile weeks? Prob...not.

This is bad and as Chris says ....makes it more Bad that it happens on a slow sports day. :(

the vagabond said:
I read the story and definitely did NOT get the impression that that was suicide.

Suicide is generally thought out, not done in the company of others, not done while being unlawfully imprisoned in your own house, and isn't done by jumping from the second floor.

He meant to jump of the balcony. That jump caused his death. Nobody knows whether he meant to die.

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
I would agree with the sentiment that it was not a suicide. From what I read, his wife locked him in the bedroom when she found him with another woman. I t appears that Sammy jumped from the balcony to get out of the house. Sad.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
bhilden said:
I would agree with the sentiment that it was not a suicide. From what I read, his wife locked him in the bedroom when she found him with another woman. I t appears that Sammy jumped from the balcony to get out of the house. Sad.

Sad? I guess so, but I kinda think it is funny. Of course I think the Darwin awards are funny as well, so go figure.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
bhilden said:

Sometimes all those questions from a wife will send dude scrambling for a bottle or a balcony! nuff said.
:eek:

TRENDING THREADS