• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Our Robbie and an Aussie team ???

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Robbie signed ..... is this the start of something bigger for Australian cycling or a case of "dont get your hopes up Mate ! "

What other signings may assist in a Pro Tour Tilt ??

:confused:

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Barracuda said:
Robbie signed ..... is this the start of something bigger for Australian cycling or a case of "dont get your hopes up Mate ! "

What other signings may assist in a Pro Tour Tilt ??

:confused:

Signings aside, I just don't see them getting a Pro Tour license...
there are so many teams already vying for one and many of them are already Pro Continental, where Fly V Australia isn't... I assume they'll be Pro Cont this year and maybe ProTour in a year or two.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Obviously going for ProTour all their signings need to be focussed on UCI points to fill out their roster. Robbie, plus I believe they signed Svein Tuft from Garmin recently who comes with 50 odd points. Luke Roberts - Aussie and with presumably disappearing Milram might be another good experienced rider who comes with some points. Given the signings to date, they will be focussing on sprints and break-aways. They should probably look to sign good riders from non-traditional nations with ambitions and points currently being used as domestiques/given little opportunity. They would struggle to pull decent riders from the traditional nations given they're no guarantee of ProTour status.

I hope they get there, but even if its ProConti as a stepping stone it would be great to see. Maybe they won't have the firepower to match Cav/Farrar, but Cantwell et al should be able to clock up some wins in ProConti and lower pro tour races to prove their worth for 2012

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it is unlikely Fly V will get a PT licence this year. I think their hopes faded when Haussler and Lancaster went to Garmin. However' it is extremely important to build their base this year and make more big signings next year.

I think that they have missed opportunities not signing guys like Matthews, Wurf, Haussler, Lancaster, Clarke and re signing Tanner. Also I have heard Mick Rogers has signed with another team. They had to be aggressive signing these guys if they wanted a licence.

Tuft, Lowe and McEwen are all good signings but the others that would help this year are guys like:
-Rollin
-Deignan
-Luke Roberts
-Johnnie Walker
-Rohan Dennis

I'm not sure if all of these guys are off contract but I think either that or their team is folding. To get to the Pro tour there would almost have to be riders breaking contracts or them signing a climber whose blood you couldnt suck through a straw (refering to columbian and venezuelan riders). But Rogers, Goss, Haussler, Porte, Renshaw, Vandevelde, Tejay, TP are probably the only leaders that their sponsors (assuming speculation about the second one being american is correct) would want and they are all pretty much unavailable. I am also making the assumption that Cadel is happy with where he is

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
I agree that it is unlikely Fly V will get a PT licence this year. I think their hopes faded when Haussler and Lancaster went to Garmin. However' it is extremely important to build their base this year and make more big signings next year.

I think that they have missed opportunities not signing guys like Matthews, Wurf, Haussler, Lancaster, Clarke and re signing Tanner. Also I have heard Mick Rogers has signed with another team. They had to be aggressive signing these guys if they wanted a licence.

Tuft, Lowe and McEwen are all good signings but the others that would help this year are guys like:
-Rollin
-Deignan
-Luke Roberts
-Johnnie Walker
-Rohan Dennis

I'm not sure if all of these guys are off contract but I think either that or their team is folding. To get to the Pro tour there would almost have to be riders breaking contracts or them signing a climber whose blood you couldnt suck through a straw (refering to columbian and venezuelan riders). But Rogers, Goss, Haussler, Porte, Renshaw, Vandevelde, Tejay, TP are probably the only leaders that their sponsors (assuming speculation about the second one being american is correct) would want and they are all pretty much unavailable. I am also making the assumption that Cadel is happy with where he is

Which Clarke are you talking about here?

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Dennis is an interesting name.

They missed Matthews.

Durbridge could also be another name to throw around. Though Durbridge probably needs some more time on the road for another year.

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
There are a few young guys who would be good buys when they are off contract too. Howard, the Meyers and Bobridge are the obvious ones.

I was just thinking about wheter Mosquera would want to go to Fly V as he's the only real GC rider yet to sign a contract. Velonation reported that he was worried that If he left Xacebao would relinquish their sponsorship and his team mates would find it hard to find a team at this late stage of the season. Now Xacebao have confirmed they will be sponsor so Mosquera could be free to go. Probably unlikely but food for thought anyway. Otherwise Do you think Vande Velde would be interested. He has being struggling for motivation largely because of injuries but maybe a fresh team is what he needs.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
There are a few young guys who would be good buys when they are off contract too. Howard, the Meyers and Bobridge are the obvious ones.

I was just thinking about wheter Mosquera would want to go to Fly V as he's the only real GC rider yet to sign a contract. Velonation reported that he was worried that If he left Xacebao would relinquish their sponsorship and his team mates would find it hard to find a team at this late stage of the season. Now Xacebao have confirmed they will be sponsor so Mosquera could be free to go. Probably unlikely but food for thought anyway. Otherwise Do you think Vande Velde would be interested. He has being struggling for motivation largely because of injuries but maybe a fresh team is what he needs.

Mosquera would be a good signing and if they got him they would be strong chance to get an invite to la vuelta and that means one definite invite to them. I think Vandevelde will stay with Garmin but Fly V should go after him. Chris White has said that their are some other good signings to come so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Can someone tell me how much the uci protour rankings will influence the descision of selection for a PT license and team selection for GT's in 2011? I thought the system was slightly changing?

A

Anonymous

statement on the front of their website

"support the first australian team to achieve their goal of 2012 to ride the tour de france"

They are changing the team name from Fly-V to Flying-Pig

TeamSkyFans said:

"support the first australian team to achieve their goal of 2012 to ride the tour de france"

What's so unbelievable about that goal? Considering the blinkered fashion in which you follow the Sky team, a team consisting of mid pack underachievers it's a bit rich for you to dismiss statements like that.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Can someone tell me how much the uci protour rankings will influence the descision of selection for a PT license and team selection for GT's in 2011? I thought the system was slightly changing?

The four things the UCI takes into consideration are
- sporting ability - UCI rankings being very important for this
- ethics
- compliance
- financial

Assuming all the teams going for UCI fill there forms in on time and provide their blood tests, compliance would be hard to differentiate on. The 'ethics' is pretty much doping history, so Fly V should be ok here, but the team at most risk on this would have been Sevetto (with its Liberty Suguros history), but signing Menchov and Sastre may whitewash their past and a number of the 'new' teams claim to be tough on doping so may be hard to differentiate from the competition of teams like BMC (not withstanding the Phonak history of some of their management) and financial, Fly V may not have the budget of some of the teams going for license, but obviously must have the minimum tied up, so they should be likely similar to the lower teams like Euskatel's buget.

So, UCI points are pretty important to prove your serious. Though Robbie McEwan probably has more UCI points than the whole of some of the teams like Skil-Shimano and Vacusoleil. But I maintain my view the focus for 2011 will be on signing riders with UCI points rather than future young guns from Australia. They will hope that in 2011 some of their existing talent starts to rack up some points, like Cantwell. And hopefully in 2012 look to build on their foundations with signings like Porte. Probably need to sign some US riders too given their apparently have a US major backer

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Chris White has said that their are some other good signings to come so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

I read I think it was in the paper that Robbie would be the 'headline act' which suggests that maybe they don't have any really big signings just some more good ones.

Dekker?? just putting it out there. Won't happen though.

Also I think other good signings would be Wegelius and Jez Hunt.
With OPL signing so many new riders surely they will have to let a few riders go. Does anyone know if Matty Lloyd had signed a new contract or if he just said he thought he was going to?

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
PCutter said:
Fly V may not have the budget of some of the teams going for license, but obviously must have the minimum tied up, so they should be likely similar to the lower teams like Euskatel's buget.

So, UCI points are pretty important to prove your serious. Though Robbie McEwan probably has more UCI points than the whole of some of the teams like Skil-Shimano and Vacusoleil. But I maintain my view the focus for 2011 will be on signing riders with UCI points rather than future young guns from Australia. They will hope that in 2011 some of their existing talent starts to rack up some points, like Cantwell. And hopefully in 2012 look to build on their foundations with signings like Porte. Probably need to sign some US riders too given their apparently have a US major backer

In the Herald today Chris White said he had 14million AUD wrapped up in annual sponsorship. Thats about 10 million Euros. Is that the cost to run a team or how much of that is salary funds.

I agree that they need to sign for points this year but you'd think that the UCI would take into account the fact that the base of the team has come from the North American circut.

I think that Porte and Haussler hold the key to the pro tour in 2011 though. Unless then team manage to sign Tejay or an American GC competitor.

Is Barredo off contract this year?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Sydney21 said:
Is Barredo off contract this year?

yes.

he has been linked to rabo and astana (i think). I doubt he would go to fly v though, it looks unlikely that many organizers will invite fly v next season, these guys wont wanna risk that.

auscyclefan94 said:
Mosquera would be a good signing and if they got him they would be strong chance to get an invite to la vuelta and that means one definite invite to them. I think Vandevelde will stay with Garmin but Fly V should go after him. Chris White has said that their are some other good signings to come so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

I don't see Mosquera leaving Xacobeo for another small team. If he's not going to be much better off both financially and at a sporting level, he'll stay. Fly V might offer him a better salary, but they have no guaranteed invitations. I'm sure Mosquera can find better.

A

Anonymous

bobbins said:
What's so unbelievable about that goal? Considering the blinkered fashion in which you follow the Sky team, a team consisting of mid pack underachievers it's a bit rich for you to dismiss statements like that.

erm, 6th winningest team in the pt this year.. but anyway, Sky brought a wealth of experience etc.

Fly V have not even contested races at pro continental level, i think if they get pro-cont licence for next year then maybe in 5 years they might get a tour invite. As long as the likes of vacon arent getting on i cant see how a domestic australian team will.

I just think they have an awful long way to go.

TeamSkyFans said:
erm, 6th winningest team in the pt this year.. but anyway, Sky brought a wealth of experience etc.

Fly V have not even contested races at pro continental level, i think if they get pro-cont licence for next year then maybe in 5 years they might get a tour invite. As long as the likes of vacon arent getting on i cant see how a domestic australian team will.

I just think they have an awful long way to go.

Winningist isn't a real word! ;)

Fly V have more experience than Sky had this time last year. They just have to up their game a little and get some good names. Much like Sky still need to.

I would hope that Fly V don't get their team buses impounded at the start of the year and have more than 2 DS's with race experience though.

They do have a way to go but why knock that? Not every team can come along with €30mil and try to buy their way to success.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

:rolleyes:
bobbins said:
Underacheivers is a very true statement which Dim needs to get into his head.
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
the only one they really care about ;)
I have heard fly v have more than 10 million euros and 10 mil is a big amount anyway. If it just on that then they are in.

bobbins said:
Winningist isn't a real word! ;)

Fly V have more experience than Sky had this time last year. They just have to up their game a little and get some good names. Much like Sky still need to.

I would hope that Fly V don't get their team buses impounded at the start of the year and have more than 2 DS's with race experience though.

They do have a way to go but why knock that? Not every team can come along with €30mil and try to buy their way to success.

+1 Lets hope they don't waste there money on mood lighting and get some good riders and proper coaches/ds' to teach the team how to do leadouts, etc.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:

TSF, aka, Dimspace, is actually really playing the dimwit card here.

Sky, is owned by News Corp. Wait, aren't they originally an Aussie company? Yes...they are, but switched share markets. Why you ask? Because FOX is their biggest arm and it is US based. Murdoch owns half the British tabloids to boot as well. Sure he has dual citizenship and his son Llachlan has an American accent and runs stuff in my neck of the woods. But the base for the empire started Down Under. Without us TSF, you won't have your sub par underperforming wonder team that has delivered less than even the cynical on this thread thought they could. So laugh it up dude...your British team was created via Aussie's backing their British corporate arm to help sell pay tv set top boxes. Good old Aussie entrepreneurship and some sad Poms try and take credit. Call it as it really is boys and don't forget the convenient historical facts that exist.

I'll even hand out bonus points if someone can name the lone paper Murdoch owned and used to expand his fledgling empire 40 years ago. If you're stuck it was in his home states capital. There are only 8 states/territories so you've got a good chance to guess it. It might even be a paper for a city associated with cycling.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
TSF, aka, Dimspace, is actually really playing the dimwit card here.

Sky, is owned by News Corp. Wait, aren't they originally an Aussie company? Yes...they are, but switched share markets. Why you ask? Because FOX is their biggest arm and it is US based. Murdoch owns half the British tabloids to boot as well. Sure he has dual citizenship and his son Llachlan has an American accent and runs stuff in my neck of the woods. But the base for the empire started Down Under. Without us TSF, you won't have your sub par underperforming wonder team that has delivered less than even the cynical on this thread thought they could. So laugh it up dude...your British team was created via Aussie's backing their British corporate arm to help sell pay tv set top boxes. Good old Aussie entrepreneurship and some sad Poms try and take credit. Call it as it really is boys and don't forget the convenient historical facts that exist.

I'll even hand out bonus points if someone can name the lone paper Murdoch owned and used to expand his fledgling empire 40 years ago. If you're stuck it was in his home states capital. There are only 8 states/territories so you've got a good chance to guess it. It might even be a paper for a city associated with cycling.

Murdoch's first paper was The News, the afternoon paper of Adelaide.