• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Paul Sherwen exposed as doper

Aug 2, 2012
..........how long has sherwen been on the telly?....of course he's keeping up appearances...

Mark L

May 26, 2010
Surely it is doping that keeps those 2 idiots in a job, but thankfully in the good ol us of a.

Re: Paul Sherwen (say it aint so)

sniper said:

Sherwen never saw doping in the 80's because he was always riding in the grupetto. Hard to see much when you are in the back of the pack. Though perhaps HE was riding clean, or else he just was a terrible responder. I do remember him always saying how bad of a climber he was anytime the road went uphill a bit.

Oct 16, 2010
Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
sniper said:
@bullsfan, check diggers tweet. He just got his sorry *** exposed.

LOL. I was just able to open it. I hope that gets relayed to him.
Apparently George Shaw (Raleigh team manager) kept a team diary.
His son recently spilled it on Facebook.
It was then removed but as you see some people were able to get a screenshot.

sniper said:
BullsFan22 said:
sniper said:
@bullsfan, check diggers tweet. He just got his sorry *** exposed.

LOL. I was just able to open it. I hope that gets relayed to him.
Apparently George Shaw (Raleigh team manager) kept a team diary.
His son recently spilled it on Facebook.
It was then removed but as you see some people were able to get a screenshot.
yup is in one of my FB groups :)

Aug 2, 2012
...........story appears to have failed to make mainstream..........have details been verified factually true?

Mark L

Oct 16, 2010
Somebody on Twitter poked Phill Liggett with it and he responded "paul was completely exonerated at the time. Nothing further to say".
That can be taken as a confirmation.

Somebody should go ask John herety if hes going to claim that gold medal from the british national road championships in 1987.
And exonerated by whom?
Is there a paralell to Sean Yates and his exoneration in 1989?
Just saying, Lots of interesting perspectives to this story.
But ftom the british press I'm not expecting anything and Paul is probably too small a fish to fry, compared to the risks of going after him. Murdoch. British Libel laws, etc.

Re:

WildspokeJoe said:
What exactly does it say? I can't read it.
"Solicitors fees (Re: '86) £1808 - 50."
[That equals about 5,000 British pounds in today's currency]

"This was originally paid from the team [account] on 4th June, 1987. And relates to costs incurred by Mr. Sherwen in his actions against a positive dope test, after the 1986 National Championships. After another dope control ..."
[end of diary page]

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/bio/paul-sherwen/
"As a professional cyclist, Sherwen was a two-time British National Cycling champion in 1986 and 1987, participated in the Tour de France seven times, and raced in all major European tours and one-day classics"

This diary, if authentic, is the proof that Sherwen was on a team-sponsored doping programme for his national championship victories and other races.

It certainly appears to be real, because it seems would be impossible to forge so many other details, and because of its provenance. Probably whomever has the diary right now could do some damage, if they decide to release more than that one page

Oct 16, 2010
Thanks for that classico.
However it's not the end of the page yet. George speaks of a second "doping control issue" in 1984, which apparently was solved with he help of the team budget, too, and so george says he feels the team budget should not be drawn on this time.
I'm not entirely sure if this 'dope control issue' was also Paul's. I guess so, but it's ambiguous.

Re:

sniper said:
Thanks for that classico.
However it's not the end of the page yet. George speaks of a second "doping control issue" ...
I'm not entirely sure if this 'dope control issue' was also Paul's. I guess so, but it's ambiguous.
Ah, quite so ! The rest of the page was outside the margins of the Twitter image. So, continued from above,

".. After another dope control situation at Northampton, 19th June 1987, I do not feel that the Team budget should be responsible for these actions."

George speaks of a second "doping control issue" in 1984
It says 1987, not 1984. So, the implication is: that Sherwen got busted again for doping in the summer of '87, therefore the team was pissed, and didn't want to keep paying his legal bills.

- Luigi

Aug 2, 2012
....this ain't much of an exposure.........................just sayin'......................

Mark L

May 26, 2010
Re:

ebandit said:
....this ain't much of an exposure.........................just sayin'......................

Mark L
What would you prefer?

It is pretty damning from the 1980s!!!!

And considering Sherwen ripped in Riccardo Ricco makes Sherwen a hypocrite as well as a doper!

What would you prefer? ... It is pretty damning from the 1980s!!!!
And considering Sherwen ripped in Riccardo Ricco makes Sherwen a hypocrite as well as a doper!
The diary, if I am not mistaken, appears to be an end-of-year accounting statement written in December 1987, or perhaps January 1988. That's my interpretation.

What event on the British cycling calendar was in Northamptonshire in June 1987?
Couldn't figure out that one.

"Westminster", in the prize-money accounting for Sherwen's season probably means: the final stage of the 1987 Tour of Britain. But did Sherwen ride that race? If so, that line in the list would be some very minor prize money for placement in the Stage 5, or for overall standing,

This, I thought was amusing - the final lap, of the final stage at Westminster, botched because the riders don't realize there was still one more lap remaining :
[at 06:05 in the video. Finazzi ends up with 3nd place, loses second-place to Steven Rooks - who was doping, according to his own confessions]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DbCHuXxLWE&t=6m5s

And the race was announced by, guess who... the ever-faithful Phil Liggett.

What are these three events on Sherwen's 1987 race schedule?

- "Westminster"
- "Porth"
- "Gala RR"

Luigi

May 13, 2011
Gala RR - could this be a gala cycling club race? Couldn't find any details on the Web.

And Porth is in Wales.

We need some 50 year old limeys to tell us what these races were

Re:

Random Direction said:
Gala RR - could this be a gala cycling club race? Couldn't find any details on the Web.
And Porth is in Wales.
We need some 50 year old limeys to tell us what these races were
Yeah, I have no personal knowledge about these now-defunct British races...
Sherwen was riding for Raleigh-Banana in 1987, then he retired same year, and he became manager of the team.
One can hardly blame him for wanting to go out on top, with the two national victories, combined with his seeming narrow escapes from two doping cases ..

Anyway, the [Somewhere] Gala Road Race must have been an event that an elite team such as Raleigh would attend. And all three races must have included prize money.

A possible explanation for the small amount of the prizes could be :splitting the money between Raleigh teammates at the event(s).

There are enough clues to go on just from this one diary page, so I am confident that Clinicians will soon nail down the details. Whether or not more diary pages are leaked to the public

Good night,

from Luigi

May 13, 2011
Cool, so Paul went from doping in 1987 to managing the same team he doped on in 1988. Nice way to pass along the knowledge. And grew up in Kenya.

And, here is a Wiki jem on Cookson and Mark Bell, part of the same Raleigh team as Paul:

Brian Cookson, later president of the Union Cycliste Internationale, said: "I remember, as a commissaire, following Mark throughout his successful breakaway to win the national pro road race title in 1986, when he simply rode away from some of the greatest names in the sport."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Bell_(cyclist)

The potential narratives are starting to string together for me. Sherwin meets Cookson the commissionaire in the late 80s, forms a connection, perhaps over failed drug tests resolved over pint in a pub, then 25 years later along comes a Kenyan born cyclist who gets a chance with sky. Rather than tossing him away with other failed domestiques, is it possible Paul and Brian saw a story they could sell and tell, then had experiments done with different juices and voila, alien was born. Of course this is complete conjecture, but given this is cycling, lord knows.

Jul 7, 2012
ClassicomanoLuigi said:
What event on the British cycling calendar was in Northamptonshire in June 1987?

What are these three events on Sherwen's 1987 race schedule?

- "Westminster"
- "Porth"
- "Gala RR"
The Northamptonshire race was almost certainly a town-centre criterium in Northampton itself. Back then British pros rode little else. (The Northampton round was sponsored by Michelin in 1985, there is even a clip on YouTube!)

I think the 'Gala RR' was another criterium, held in Southport. The Southport Gala races were a long standing fixture on the calendar, held at the end of the season.

Porth is actually Porthcawl, Bridgend in south Wales, near Cardiff. The same event was won by Phil Thomas in 1986, then riding for ANC Halfords.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS