• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pikes Peak ascent ride on Aug. 29...

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
The website for the inaugural "Assault on the Peak" ride up Pikes Peak on Aug. 29 is up and running. This is your chance to ride up the most famous mountain in America on a completely closed course.

In the spirit of notable climbs like Mt. Evans and Mt. Washington, the Assault on the Peak promises to be an epic challenge - 6,200 feet in 18 miles. The road will be closed to motor vehicle traffic for the entire day, giving cyclists their first chance ever to ascend the entire highway from toll gate to summit.

Registration opens on April 1.

Visit http://www.ridepikespeak.com for more info

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I can't find what Moniger's time is for Pike's. He won the Mt.Evans hill climb 6 times at about 2 hours each time. He is the most winning rider in US history and can climb like a scared deer. Tom Danielson has won 3 times and to my surprise so has Jonathan Vaughters. Also I thought PP was taller than Mt.Evans. Does anybody have a best time up these things?

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
fatandfast said:
I can't find what Moniger's time is for Pike's. He won the Mt.Evans hill climb 6 times at about 2 hours each time. He is the most winning rider in US history and can climb like a scared deer. Tom Danielson has won 3 times and to my surprise so has Jonathan Vaughters. Also I thought PP was taller than Mt.Evans. Does anybody have a best time up these things?

I think Danielson has the Mt. Evans Record at 1:41 and the Mt. Washington Record at 49:24.

For comparison's sake:

-Pikes Peak: 6,200 feet over 18.4 miles - Summit 14,110 feet

-Mt. Evans: 6,575 feet over 27.4 miles - Summit 6,150 feet

-Mt. Washington: 4,400 feet over 7.6 miles - Summit 14,264 feet

Mt. Washington is short and steep, Mt. Evans is long and gradual, and Pikes Peak is somewhere in between - pretty much the same elevation gain of the Mt. Evans Hill Climb, but 10 miles shorter.

The unique thing about the Pikes Peak ride is that the road is closed to bicyclists 364 days a year, whereas you can ride up Mt. Evans and Mt. Washington any time you want (weather permitting), I believe. There used to be an event up Pikes Peak, back in the 80's I think, but it started at Glen Cove, which is just 6 miles from the Summit. The ride in August starts all the way at the bottom of the highway at the toll gate.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
FRRider said:
I think Danielson has the Mt. Evans Record at 1:41 and the Mt. Washington Record at 49:24.

For comparison's sake:

Mt. Washington is short and steep, Mt. Evans is long and gradual, and Pikes Peak is somewhere in between - pretty much the same elevation gain of the Mt. Evans Hill Climb, but 10 miles shorter.

The unique thing about the Pikes Peak ride is that the road is closed to bicyclists 364 days a year, whereas you can ride up Mt. Evans and Mt. Washington any time you want (weather permitting), I believe. There used to be an event up Pikes Peak, back in the 80's I think, but it started at Glen Cove, which is just 6 miles from the Summit. The ride in August starts all the way at the bottom of the highway at the toll gate.
Mt Washington is also closed.

Is the Pikes Peak road paved the entire way? I hear it can get pretty steep

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Mt Washington is also closed.

Is the Pikes Peak road paved the entire way? I hear it can get pretty steep

I stand corrected...thanks!

The Pikes Peak Highway is mostly paved. There is about 2.5 miles of gravel at the moment over the 18+ mile stretch. (Each year, a small section is paved and more of it is scheduled to be paved in August before the ride). Average grade is 6.7%, with max grad at 10.5%

Thanks for the thread. I had heard about the pavement increasing, last I knew there were still 5+ miles to go, so great they're getting there!

When paved, this will probably be the toughest ride in the US, depending on how paved one considers Manua Kea road (long sections are just oiled dirt).

Scott Moninger was indeed a great rider. Fast climber, and he had a bit of a sprint when he needed it too.

FRRider said:

For comparison's sake:

You're off on the Evans summit - Evans is a 14'er as well. 14,240 feet.

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
He has Evans and Washington flipped.

D'oh, you're right... Mt. Evans is 14,264. Mt. Washington is 6,150, and Pikes Peak is 14,110.

Just checked out the Mt. Washington site... that ride gets to 22% in some places. Good God! Pikes Peak averages a moderate to manageable 6.7% with a max of 10.5%...

TRENDING THREADS