• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pope Benedict XVI resigns

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Pope Benedict XVI resigns. Very significant news. I know this won't be popular to say on here but I think his service to the Church and peace is very commendable and should congratulated.

Before anyone else goes in, I might as well mention these slurs: pedophile, sexual assault, homophobia, gay marriage.

Seems to me he spent most of his time musing over trivial ancillary details that had little or nothing to do with true theology or doctrine, and when he did focus on theology he pulled stuff out of his ****. And yes, his position on homosexuality, birth control and the like is backwards and hurts millions of people.

hrotha said:
Seems to me he spent most of his time musing over trivial ancillary details that had little or nothing to do with true theology or doctrine, and when he did focus on theology he pulled stuff out of his ****. And yes, his position on homosexuality, birth control and the like is backwards and hurts millions of people.

I agree a good thing he's gone

Eshnar said:
Well, that's not his position really, it's just the position the Church always had.
The Catholic Church used to hold different positions on other topics and they changed them. Some day, a pope will come along and be forced to change his position on those, too.

It's just because of a specific and deliberately backwards interpretation of the Bible that those are seen as not kosher while people can go around eating as much pork as they want.
Yeah, I knew I should not have created this thread knowing the views of this forum. Just a Catholic Church slagging mouthpiece.
Care to rebut what I said instead of playing the victim? Benedict XVI doesn't equal Catholicism, by the way. Plenty of Catholics who disagree with him over some fundamental matters.

hrotha said:
The Catholic Church used to hold different positions on other topics and they changed them. Some day, a pope will come along and be forced to change his position on those, too.
Ofc someday a Pope will come along and be forced to say "well we had almost everything wrong in our history". But no surprise he didn't want to be that one. :rolleyes:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ACF - there is a very good reason why almost all forums go out of their way to avoid discussing religion - the subject is even more divisive than politics and inevitably leads to rows and slanging matches. For some strange reason - :rolleyes: - the 'modern' Catholic church is not all that popular.

I'm glad to see Eshnar with his finger on the pulse here. If this topic stays open, he or other mods will need to keep a close eye on it.

Personally, I have no time for organized religion, and most particularly not for the Catholic church and each new, always disappointing, pope.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Lol, so when u aren't Opus Dei you are no true catholic?

Big lol.
not sure what you mean.
btw one of the catholics' dogmas is that the Pope is always right. If you disagree with him, then you're not following one of the catholics' dogmas, hence you're not catholic. Very simple really.
I did say its a technicality (actually Hrotha said that), but it's like that.

Eshnar said:
btw one of the catholics' dogmas is that the Pope is always right. If you disagree with him, then you're not following one of the catholics' dogmas, hence you're not catholic.
It's not exactly like that. The Pope is only infallible when he speaks ex cathedra on doctrinal matters. Benedict XVI for example has never spoken ex cathedra as far as I know.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
not sure what you mean.
Opus is kinda influentual in the roman catholic church nowadays.

hrotha said:
No but you do have to accept the authority of the Church on doctrine.
That reminds me of my lazyness to unsubscribe from the church, gotta fix that, this year. Manana manana :D

I'll stay out for the remainder, I am no good in religion related stuff, as an anti - theist that is. I respect people for their believes but I am too anti - religion that I will end up insulting - without realising it - people.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Yeah, I knew I should not have created this thread knowing the views of this forum. Just a Catholic Church slagging mouthpiece.

what's wrong with slagging the catholic church? or any religion?

TRENDING THREADS