• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Pozzato riding Lightweight wheels!!!

I see that Pozzato is riding Lightweight wheels [with Campagnolo Bora stickers on them] - just like Cippo in the 2002 world champs. Does this mean that Pozzato is pretty serious about his chances for next Sunday?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Katusha are on Focus bikes in 2011. Maybe they're going to use the German wheels as well, although I don't know the relationship between the two companies.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Pozzato used to have as personal sponsor LW during Liquigas years (but I cant remember if it was 1 or 2).

Then I guess he couldn't have it anymore with Katusha and that's why he's using the stickers.
Please notice he seems using Dugast as well; serious business.:cool:

May 8, 2009
Visit site
bladerunner said:
I see that Pozzato is riding Lightweight wheels [with Campagnolo Bora stickers on them] - just like Cippo in the 2002 world champs. Does this mean that Pozzato is pretty serious about his chances for next Sunday?

How do you think a election of wheels means he is MORE serious? He would perform similarly with any other high quality wheelset, the differences are minimal, and most often just psycologic.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
When racing for the national team riders are allowed to use whatever equipment they like. Lightweights have been a popular choice for years as they were always so much ahead of other manufactures. These days the gap has closed and it is less common but 5-10 years back when they offered a 1/5 kilo savings many riders would buy their own

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
khardung la said:
How do you think a election of wheels means he is MORE serious? He would perform similarly with any other high quality wheelset, the differences are minimal, and most often just psycologic.

Because Lightweight isn't a team sponsor, so instead of making his choice of free wheels, he apparently went out and got himself a special set from a different company. If Contador had to pay for a Lightweight TT wheel to ride on at the 2009 Tour, I'd imagine this was paid out of pocket as well. That would be a sign that he's taking the race seriously.

If the abstinence story is true, I imagine he spent time looking at equipment choices to help ensure that his other sacrifices were worth it.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Because Lightweight isn't a team sponsor, so instead of making his choice of free wheels, he apparently went out and got himself a special set from a different company. If Contador had to pay for a Lightweight TT wheel to ride on at the 2009 Tour, I'd imagine this was paid out of pocket as well. That would be a sign that he's taking the race seriously.

If the abstinence story is true, I imagine he spent time looking at equipment choices to help ensure that his other sacrifices were worth it.

1-Contador did not pay for a Lightweight
2-In the Worlds they can use whatever material they please. If he has a Lightweight at home or someone has lent it to him he can use it. It does not mean that he is more serious or anything. It is just that he likes more that wheelset than the one he normally uses in his team for that particular race in the Worlds. What is the big deal?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
khardung la said:
1-Contador did not pay for a Lightweight
2-In the Worlds they can use whatever material they please. If he has a Lightweight at home or someone has lent it to him he can use it. It does not mean that he is more serious or anything. It is just that he likes more that wheelset than the one he normally uses in his team for that particular race in the Worlds. What is the big deal?

Yes, he did. Lightweight confirmed it.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Race Radio said:
When racing for the national team riders are allowed to use whatever equipment they like. Lightweights have been a popular choice for years as they were always so much ahead of other manufactures. These days the gap has closed and it is less common but 5-10 years back when they offered a 1/5 kilo savings many riders would buy their own

No sponsor obbligation?
If true, why bothering with Bora stickers?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Top riders frequently get side deals and special permissions to use equipment they are particular to. This has included wheels and entire bikes. It was very common to see Cervelo P-3 repainted as what ever the team rode.
So if he puts Bora Stickers on his lightweight wheels it is probably to respect the team sponsor and that he does race those wheels in events where he is obliged to use team sponsor or at least badged as the team sponsor equipment.
To say a rider is serious because he is paying for the equipment I think has some credibility especially when you consider the cost of some of these things. You could also say it is related to an insecurity in that riders believe LW are superior wheels that impart an advantage over the equipment they are supplied. Sports men are superstitious too

It is NOT true that the top pro's can ride whatever they like at the World's. That is why Pozzato has gone through the trouble of making sure that the Lightwieghts have Campagnolo Bora stickers on them.

My point is that Pozzato has had many opportunities before and he has NEVER used Lightweights at the Worlds before but he is doing so this time. That's the difference. In the past, many pro's have put Lightweights on instead of their normal sponsored wheels at the World's because they know it will make a difference.

The problem is : What if Pozzato wins on Lightweights? Great news again for Lightweight. Not so good news for Campagnolo?

What makes sense is that they ride their current bike, because is the one they've used the entire season, already with the proper fitting, plus they're so accustomed to it, I bet they would dare to try something else. nevertheless they have contractual obligations with the team's sponsors, but everybody knows that a clever pain job & stickers can dissipate any doubts:)
As far a wheels go... LW are the best in the market-so if you have the money-why not...
now- equipment does not win races-it gives an edge/advantage--but at the end is up to the rider to perform...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
bladerunner said:
It is NOT true that the top pro's can ride whatever they like at the World's. That is why Pozzato has gone through the trouble of making sure that the Lightwieghts have Campagnolo Bora stickers on them.

My point is that Pozzato has had many opportunities before and he has NEVER used Lightweights at the Worlds before but he is doing so this time. That's the difference. In the past, many pro's have put Lightweights on instead of their normal sponsored wheels at the World's because they know it will make a difference.

The problem is : What if Pozzato wins on Lightweights? Great news again for Lightweight. Not so good news for Campagnolo?

As Master 50 wrote it is quite common for Pro's to ride non sponsor provided equipment in the worlds, with Lightweights being the most common. I have always heard it was because they are allowed to ride what they want during national team events. I seem to remember an article about this when Zabel and Chipo both started using them. Maybe this was just marketing hype but 5 years ago it seemed like everyone had them at the worlds.

This thread is useless without photos-

vrd2tc.jpg

2hf6ntz.jpg

TRENDING THREADS