• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Prof Julian Savulescu lecture in Melbourne

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
did anyone else make the lecture in Melbourne by Oxford Prof Julian Savulescu?

I got to speak to him for a sec after. I offered a devil's advocate to him, and riffing a little on Race Radio, i said Bill Stapleton was the real genius (not Ferrari) behind Lance, by creating LAnce the cancer brand, Lance the cancer investment vehicle, and throwing the resources behind USPS to neutralise a race into an ergo test.

Ofcourse, Ferrari is part of the "resources". And one cannot split off Wiesel and Stapleton. They are not a different unit for the sake of this thought experiment.

Wiesel handled the high politics and theory, and Stapleton was the operator of the apotheosis hypothesis.

Cancer was the brand. Cycling was the world stage. The American consumer was the market to sell to. cycling writers have missed this overarching narrative.

The proof is in the race in about 2002 when a Raimondas Rumsas at Lampre fuelled by edita in a solasun campervan, finished second at the Tour if one neutralises the ttt where Beloki and ONCE got about one minute on him. Take that minute away, Rumsas is second to Armstrong, not riding with the annual resources pushed in his favour like Lance. Switch the resources is my thesis, you have Rumsas on top of Lance.

Rumsas had won Lombardy in 2000, so the guy is no chump.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in the Shane Warne embroglio, JS had a freudian slip. He was saying how a diuretic is a mask/masking agent, and a masking agent for steroids. And then about 2 or 3 minutes later, he said Warne had tested positive for steroids. This is clearly a freudian slip, he was not reading a speech, he said before, because of the lack of turnout, he would change the format a little and not speak from the script. He was using some powerpoint overheads, mostly images, and images to explicate the themes we all know he riffs on, or, you know if you follow Julian Savulescu's pamphlets.

the speech was recorded for voice, not the visual, i will see if i can add it in the next fortnight when it becomes available.

For those who are not aware of Warne, the best analogy would be a pitcher, think a Clemens type. Tho currently, cricket has not had the advance in PEDs to threshold levels like the US team sports. Tho, now you can see in the shiny skin and the prominent foreheads and the shapes of the bodies, that they are getting a significant bout of testo/hgh peptides. fast bowlers in particular (Warne was a spin bowler).

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
blackcat said:
did anyone else make the lecture in Melbourne by Oxford Prof Julian Savulescu?

I got to speak to him for a sec after. I offered a devil's advocate to him, and riffing a little on Race Radio, i said Bill Stapleton was the real genius (not Ferrari) behind Lance, by creating LAnce the cancer brand, Lance the cancer investment vehicle, and throwing the resources behind USPS to neutralise a race into an ergo test.

Ofcourse, Ferrari is part of the "resources". And one cannot split off Wiesel and Stapleton. They are not a different unit for the sake of this thought experiment.

Wiesel handled the high politics and theory, and Stapleton was the operator of the apotheosis hypothesis.

Cancer was the brand. Cycling was the world stage. The American consumer was the market to sell to. cycling writers have missed this overarching narrative.

The proof is in the race in about 2002 when a Raimondas Rumsas at Lampre fuelled by edita in a solasun campervan, finished second at the Tour if one neutralises the ttt where Beloki and ONCE got about one minute on him. Take that minute away, Rumsas is second to Armstrong, not riding with the annual resources pushed in his favour like Lance. Switch the resources is my thesis, you have Rumsas on top of Lance.

Rumsas had won Lombardy in 2000, so the guy is no chump.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in the Shane Warne embroglio, JS had a freudian slip. He was saying how a diuretic is a mask/masking agent, and a masking agent for steroids. And then about 2 or 3 minutes later, he said Warne had tested positive for steroids. This is clearly a freudian slip, he was not reading a speech, he said before, because of the lack of turnout, he would change the format a little and not speak from the script. He was using some powerpoint overheads, mostly images, and images to explicate the themes we all know he riffs on, or, you know if you follow Julian Savulescu's pamphlets.

the speech was recorded for voice, not the visual, i will see if i can add it in the next fortnight when it becomes available.

For those who are not aware of Warne, the best analogy would be a pitcher, think a Clemens type. Tho currently, cricket has not had the advance in PEDs to threshold levels like the US team sports. Tho, now you can see in the shiny skin and the prominent foreheads and the shapes of the bodies, that they are getting a significant about of testo/hgh peptides. fast bowlers in particular (Warne was a spin bowler).

Would be interested in hearing that, but Warnie was always a bit of a chubby cricketer as the greatest non chucking spin bowler of all time. I couldn't see what it would benefit unless it was for ligament injuries, but his big op which meant he couldn't bowl the flipper (top spinner, ball rolls very low after bouncing) was years before that positive.

He only got slim and had the shiny look after he retired and started dating Liz Hurley the jammy convict.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Gavandope said:
Would be interested in hearing that, but Warnie was always a bit of a chubby cricketer as the greatest non chucking spin bowler of all time. I couldn't see what it would benefit unless it was for ligament injuries, but his big op which meant he couldn't bowl the flipper (top spinner, ball rolls very low after bouncing) was years before that positive.

He only got slim and had the shiny look after he retired and started dating Liz Hurley the jammy convict.
he was having shoulder injuries. and he had surgery in the months previous.

blackcat said:
cycling writers have missed this overarching narrative

Your thought experiment is spot on. And of course they missed it - they were part of it - selling it to the masses.

They made green during the scam and now they make green writing about the history of the scam.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Kretch said:
Your thought experiment is spot on. And of course they missed it - they were part of it - selling it to the masses.

They made green during the scam and now they make green writing about the history of the scam.
yep, good point. they were willing conspirators and complicit.

and apart from Kimmage, and even he has an empathy for his UK countryman (or is he Rep of Ireland not NthIreland?) but soooo disappointed that Walsh has given Wiggins the widest berth known to the Sunday Times writer.

so dissapoint, so dissapoint (lolzcatz 'ipster idiom)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
yep, good point. they were willing conspirators and complicit.

and apart from Kimmage, and even he has an empathy for his UK countryman (or is he Rep of Ireland not NthIreland?) but soooo disappointed that Walsh has given Wiggins the widest berth known to the Sunday Times writer.

so dissapoint, so dissapoint (lolzcatz 'ipster idiom)

Kimmage is rare breed, a Northside Dubliner from the Republic of Ireland.

Walsh is from County Waterford, RoI, just down the road from Sean Kelly.

You have to give Lance all the credit in the world though, he damn near died of cancer and lost a nut...spread to his brain, lungs etc..it was about a 10% chance of survival.

So to then recover, be considered healthy even today, after all the doping and his reign...amazing.

Yes, I think we all agree and this is too transparent and contrived the entire Livestrong brand. Most don't know or understand the doping and cycling aspect of the sport/what makes it run.

But the Livestrong you are correct about TS. It was definitely a vehicle and marketing tool used. But unless you are winning TDFs like he did, guess he would have been just another guy who somehow lived.

A transcript or video of the talk would be nice, not sure if there was one.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:
You have to give Lance all the credit in the world though, he damn near died of cancer and lost a nut...spread to his brain, lungs etc..it was about a 10% chance of survival.

So to then recover, be considered healthy even today, after all the doping and his reign...amazing.

Yes, I think we all agree and this is too transparent and contrived the entire Livestrong brand. Most don't know or understand the doping and cycling aspect of the sport/what makes it run.

But the Livestrong you are correct about TS. It was definitely a vehicle and marketing tool used. But unless you are winning TDFs like he did, guess he would have been just another guy who somehow lived.

A transcript or video of the talk would be nice, not sure if there was one.

The guy's a sociopathic narcissist and he probably doesn't even know it. No not going to give the guy credit for his body responding well to cancer treatment, he was lucky.

Livestrong was contrived for numerous reasons, to enrich, to be used in advent of a political career, to defend Armstrong as the cancer Jesus from wrongdoing and to do discredit those who criticised the cancer jesus. I wonder how long it would've gone on before he started laying hands to heal those with cancer for big bucks..............