• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Proof Liquigas are the best Grand Tour team

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Good on them... but on the other hand, in 2009 they did exactly the same, and I don't think you'd have called them the best GT team then.

Did they win the Giro? no
Did they top 10 the tour? yes
Did they win the Vuelta? no

exactly the same? not quite

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Have you read the article, which the OP links to? This is not about them winning GTs.

Well as the thread title was about the best GT team I think it is important to look to results too. If it's just about finishing with the whole team than indeed they did exactly the same.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Liquigas is a good example of what you get when the sponsor owns the team. Instead of the owner pocketing most of the cash and hiring a bunch of Neo-Pro's and guys about the retire (Brunyeel, Gianetti) you have a company that is looking for maxium return on investment.....via wins.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Team High Road > Liquigas Doimo

I'm not sure that's really a fair comparison to make. Both teams are VERY good at what they do.

Liquigas targets the GTs, and (last year) they were very succesful in those, with 4 top 10s, 3 podiums, and 2 victories.

HTC targets anything that they can turn into a boring sprinter's race, and let's face it, they're the best in the business when they're on. There win totals from the last several years show this, and they the absolute best at spotting sprint talent.

Both teams do go beyond these simplifications, with riders like Peter Sagan and Daneil Oss on Leekygas and Velits and (formerly) Rogers on HTC. But I still don't think it's fair to say that one team is better than the other. Sure HTC is better in just about any sprint, but I'd put my money on the Italians in any GT, anyday.