• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lefevre backtracks, Sam Bennett needs knee surgery and out for the season (translated)

Lefevere wrote, among other things, that the sprinter's return to BORA-hansgrohe was akin to being a victim of domestic violence. "My opinion of him remains unchanged, but what I wrote about partner violence in the context of his return to Bora was not appropriate," it now sounds. "Mea culpa. In the whole discussion around Bennett, I choose my words more carefully from now on and prefer to keep quiet about it."

Bennett will not play for his team again this season. "A recent scan showed that he needs an operation on his knee, with a rehabilitation of three to four months. So he will not race for our team anymore," he wrote

I thought he said that he didn't think the injury was real? Now he's saying that he needs surgery for a knee problem and will be out for 3-4 months? Makes you wonder if he knew Remco was still not ready to race but got him on the bike anyway before he was ready, He's still a knob, even with the apology.

Bennett was injured before the tour. He didn't want to ride and destroy his knee completely. Lefevere said he is just mental weak and couldn't ride the tour because of that and now he needs a surgery.
That could tell a lot about the mentality in that team. That could also explain why so many riders underperform after the Quick-Step time.
To me it looks like Bennett was really strong in the head to fight against this spirit.

You'd really have to question whether guys like lefevere have a place in Pro sport these days... He seems to exist in an alternate time where you can just bully and abuse athletes without consequence.... So a rider injured himself to such an extent that he needed surgery yet his initial reaction was to force them to ride and when they refused, to publicly accuse them of being liars and mentally weak.

"Hodeg is a huge talent. He has a lot of quality and is not only a talented bike racer but also a great person and the type of athlete we want in our team," said Matxin.

sigh... don't win me over...

What will Lafavere comment about Hodeg who is leaving to UAE. i'm sure he's itching to.

I don't think Lefevere cares, I think he didn't want him anymore.

It’s difficult for Lefevere to make himself look worse in this incident than he already has, but somehow he managed it. is the story now that a rider got inconveniently injured at an important time, was pushed to ride anyway and was then repeatedly and viciously attacked in the press when he refused?
Probably was peeved Bennett was leaving, Bennett gets injured and whatever backstage drama happens, and than it looked like they couldn’t get as much out of Bennett as they could for the money they put in and that peeved lefevere even more is my take.

"Hodeg is a huge talent. He has a lot of quality and is not only a talented bike racer but also a great person and the type of athlete we want in our team," said Matxin.

sigh... don't win me over...

I don't think Lefevere cares, I think he didn't want him anymore.
Might not even remember he is on the team.

I actually think he is right to let Bennett race as much as possible after the EC debacle. What he said about Bennett's mental state before the TdF was far over the line, but Bennett's behaviour is also pretty childish.

I think it's ridiculous. What does he achieve with that? Showing who's the boss, so that others don't dare to do the same to him? It's just as much childish behaviour, and it hurts the team because if Bennett is not ready to race or goes to races that don't suit him the team only loses a spot that another rider could better take - and would probably like to. I can understand that as an emotional reaction, but as a team boss you just have to get over some things for the bigger goals. Reminds me of football, like Watzke/ BVB and PSG not getting over some behaviour by Tuchel and getting rid of one of the best coaches for the sake of their egos...
I mean obviously Bennett has issues, how much of that is injury and how much mental I don't know, but he surely would have ridden the Tour if he had felt fit to do so. Now he wants to be paid in full, despite not being really race-fit. I doubt a part of the rest of the year salary is something that hurts DQS deeply, the money was planned to be spent anyway, DQS is not really lacking a sprinter right now, and Lefevere's words strongly hint at this only being a case of hurt ego, too. Bennett didn't respect him - that's all this is about.

I actually think he is right to let Bennett race as much as possible after the EC debacle. What he said about Bennett's mental state before the TdF was far over the line, but Bennett's behaviour is also pretty childish.

We don’t have any reliable information about Bennett’s behaviour. He has had the sense not to take part in a media slanging match, so all we‘ve heard is Lefevere’s bluster.

Nah, the pre-Tour comments went way over the line, and PL has been playing catch up ever since, and doing it badly. Bennett has kept his head down and not risen to some pretty ridiculous bait.

Reading those comments...
"From now on he will ride every race in which we can line him up in," Lefevere told Het Nieuwsblad and other Belgian media.

“He rode seven kilometres (at the European Championships). Good for him because we couldn't stop that selection for Ireland and so he avoids the UCI rule (on salary reduction) being activated.

“On Sunday he will also participate in Gooikse Pijl, on Tuesday he will start in Vichte plus everything that comes afterwards. He wanted it that way. Now I’m suddenly sorry that the Tour of Guangxi in China has been cancelled.”
Could interpret that in different ways, but not sure what the organisers of the Tour of Guangxi would make of it, perhaps a rather frosty reception for PL next time he's in the region :)

I think it's ridiculous. What does he achieve with that? Showing who's the boss, so that others don't dare to do the same to him? It's just as much childish behaviour, and it hurts the team because if Bennett is not ready to race or goes to races that don't suit him the team only loses a spot that another rider could better take - and would probably like to. I can understand that as an emotional reaction, but as a team boss you just have to get over some things for the bigger goals. Reminds me of football, like Watzke/ BVB and PSG not getting over some behaviour by Tuchel and getting rid of one of the best coaches for the sake of their egos...
I mean obviously Bennett has issues, how much of that is injury and how much mental I don't know, but he surely would have ridden the Tour if he had felt fit to do so. Now he wants to be paid in full, despite not being really race-fit. I doubt a part of the rest of the year salary is something that hurts DQS deeply, the money was planned to be spent anyway, DQS is not really lacking a sprinter right now, and Lefevere's words strongly hint at this only being a case of hurt ego, too. Bennett didn't respect him - that's all this is about.
... because if Bennett is not ready to race... ?....only loses a spot that another rider could better take... ? Well, that's exactly what Bennett and the Irish cyclingfederation did at the Europeans (Bennett given up after 7 kilometers !!!!!) and will do at the Worlds ! A filthy combine to have Bennett paid out by DCQ until the end of the year. In both races the Irish federation kept another rider who is in shape or a promising youngster at home, in a shameful way to help Bennett in his financial issue with DCQ. Bennett (and the Irish cycling federation) are a disgrace for international cycling. That way, potential sponsors will increasingly drop out

... because if Bennett is not ready to race... ?....only loses a spot that another rider could better take... ? Well, that's exactly what Bennett and the Irish cyclingfederation did at the Europeans (Bennett given up after 7 kilometers !!!!!) and will do at the Worlds ! A filthy combine to have Bennett paid out by DCQ until the end of the year. In both races the Irish federation kept another rider who is in shape or a promising youngster at home, in a shameful way to help Bennett in his financial issue with DCQ. Bennett (and the Irish cycling federation) are a disgrace for international cycling. That way, potential sponsors will increasingly drop out

The way I understood it the Irish are not even filling all their allowed spots for the races?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob

TRENDING THREADS