• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wow!! The timing of this roll out..silly, the public talk about Cav cutting w the team..again..silly..and now the consolidation of 2 teams..I am happy that the sponsorship went years deep, good for the sport and some of my favorite racers, but the timing is bad form.
.if anyone has a good photo of the German Gorilla wearing a kit that looks like this..love to see the side by side..
also wondering where Ridley falls when all this is over..and I wonder if Bianchi will re enter and w what team..Would have loved to see a bike maker shake it up w a switch at Quick Step
Not a consolidation of 2 teams at all: just a sponsor getting a different team to carry its logos.

The team we currently know as Lotto Soudal are to continue, possibly relegated, probably still on Ridley bikes, and hoping to have something to put after Lotto in the team name.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Not a consolidation of 2 teams at all: just a sponsor getting a different team to carry its logos.

The team we currently know as Lotto Soudal are to continue, possibly relegated, probably still on Ridley bikes, and hoping to have something to put after Lotto in the team name.
Lotto is not hoping (anymore) to put something after Lotto. It will be Lotto-Destiny next year :)

Omega Pharma company was also alternating between two Belgian teams as a secondary sponsor wasn't it?

Quick Step-Davitamon, then Davitamon-Lotto plus couple of other products from the company followed by Omega Pharma-Lotto and then Omega Pharma-Quick Step.

Concerning Sinkewitz, who left them for T-Mobile:

Friday, August 16, 2024, will be last day of his ban. Anyone knows if there are plans for a comeback?… There have always been rumours that Sinkewitz wanted to finish his career at Quick-Step, being kind of a mentor for their younger Ardennes classics squad.

Fingers crossed (just my opinion) that Lefevere remembers his promise, and signs Sinkewitz from August 2024 on…

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Concerning Sinkewitz, who left them for T-Mobile:

Friday, August 16, 2024, will be last day of his ban. Anyone knows if there are plans for a comeback?… There have always been rumours that Sinkewitz wanted to finish his career at Quick-Step, being kind of a mentor for their younger Ardennes classics squad.

Fingers crossed (just my opinion) that Lefevere remembers his promise, and signs Sinkewitz from August 2024 on…
Have you been drinking this morning?

What promise? And why would they sign a 42-year-old guy?

Well, when Sinkewitz left Quick-Step at the end of 2005, Lefevere obviously promised him there would always be an open door for Sinkewitz at Quick-Step. Plans were that he could return to QS after his time at T-Mobile, and get some kind of mentor role at QS.

I remember that Sinkewitz had this Mapei-U23/Quick-Step DNA in him, and left Lefevere with a sad feeling. Being German, many expected from him to ride at German team T-Mobile, and T-Mobile certainly paid him more than QS was able to.

So there was some kind of agreement between Lefevere and Sinkewitz, „You leave us now, but are invited to join us again, one day.“…

• Wow
Well, when Sinkewitz left Quick-Step at the end of 2005, Lefevere obviously promised him there would always be an open door for Sinkewitz at Quick-Step. Plans were that he could return to QS after his time at T-Mobile, and get some kind of mentor role at QS.

I remember that Sinkewitz had this Mapei-U23/Quick-Step DNA in him, and left Lefevere with a sad feeling. Being German, many expected from him to ride at German team T-Mobile, and T-Mobile certainly paid him more than QS was able to.

So there was some kind of agreement between Lefevere and Sinkewitz, „You leave us now, but are invited to join us again, one day.“…

I'm pretty sure that door has been shut and locked for 15 years. Lefevere probably doesn't even remember his name.

I'm pretty sure that door has been shut and locked for 15 years. Lefevere probably doesn't even remember his name.

I fear so, too…

What gives me hope for a comeback, maybe at least at PCT or CT level, is that Patrick - to my knowledge - still seems to train the number of kms a year that he trained when he was with Meridiana, few years ago - at this time, he still beat lots of WT riders in the hard Italian autumn classics.

But I agree, a WT comeback doesn‘t seem to realistic…

Sometimes I wonder wether or not I'm too invested in cycling. But then I go on here and see that people can identify riders by their leg and I feel much better.
Lol. What helped is that Bairrada has one of the most prolific shorts in the game, something between purple and pink, and Morgado himself is the epitome of a bronzed Adonis. Gonçalo Tavares is currently attending the training camp of Movistar, fwiw.

• Wow
Jakobsen is in big trouble if he continues on like this. He had valid reasons to shy away from Morkov, but if he doesn't get some wins quickly he'll be looking silly, because he hasn't been much better himself lately. Merlier has been great, but at this rate just good will suffice for him to go to the Tour.

Merlier has legitimate question marks where his endurance is involved in stage races, but Jakobsen isn't much better in that regard either.

Jakobsen is in big trouble if he continues on like this. He had valid reasons to shy away from Morkov, but if he doesn't get some wins quickly he'll be looking silly, because he hasn't been much better himself lately. Merlier has been great, but at this rate just good will suffice for him to go to the Tour.

Merlier has legitimate question marks where his endurance is involved in stage races, but Jakobsen isn't much better in that regard either.

At this rate I can see Merlier going to the Tour and Jakobsen leaving the team at the end of the year. To me it looks like Jakobsen might have trained his endurance, but has paid the price for it in terms of the sprint watts he is capable of delivering. Very hard to turn that around during the season I think.

Another thing I am wondering about, is Schmid going to do any of the cobble races? I think he has a very good profile for it and could actually excel in most of the one-day races. I was hoping for him to be riding the opening weekend, but he was on duty to help Evenepoel.

Another thing I am wondering about, is Schmid going to do any of the cobble races? I think he has a very good profile for it and could actually excel in most of the one-day races. I was hoping for him to be riding the opening weekend, but he was on duty to help Evenepoel.
Could be, since Schmid wasn't actually scheduled to do UAE. They only opted to insert him into the team instead of Martin Svrcek when the TTT was announced.

TRENDING THREADS