• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Enovos has a 3 years deal with Leopard. Wonder if when they signed the deal they knew that soon their brand would be associated with a manager who is under investigation for defrauding his previous sponsors and investors?

Is it in any sponsors "Best interests" to be associated with Brunyeel?

Curious about the bolded part - can you provide links?

Thanks.

Christian said:
Just some quick input on two things:

I am quite sure to have read somewhere than Bruyneel said his team would "continue under the same name until at least 2013" but I can't find the article, it might have been a print edition. This would imply that Radioshack will stay the main sponsor (some people have been wondering about that).

Regarding the Mercedes/Nissan question, there is a small detail that is maybe worth noting: LEOPARD TREK is not directly sponsored by Mercedes, but by Mercedes Luxembourg, even though this is not specified on the team apparel or the bikes. I don't know if this has any relevance or how it compares to Nissan's sponsorship of Radioshack, but I thought it might be worth clarifying.

well-Nissan-as US Manufacturing base-is behind the Shack without specifying it either so, the real question is how those two brands can "coexist" together or collide -unless of course-"MercedesUSA" gets involved too and have no issue at all "sharing" sponsorship duties with Nissan........

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Enovos has a 3 years deal with Leopard. Wonder if when they signed the deal they knew that soon their brand would be associated with a manager who is under investigation for defrauding his previous sponsors and investors?

Is it in any sponsors "Best interests" to be associated with Brunyeel?

Defrauded sponsors by winning winning winning and getting them publicity and mucho sales.
USPostal especially. What a bargain.
TREK is doing alright too.

We will probably see more sponsors signing on now.
"defraud me, defraud me" lol.

Oh wait - you are saying sponsors will be pulling out now that Bruyneel is taking over?
Cancellations are Imminent.
Probably by Christmas.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Defrauded sponsors by winning winning winning and getting them publicity and mucho sales.
USPostal especially. What a bargain.
TREK is doing alright too.

We will probably see more sponsors signing on now.
"defraud me, defraud me" lol.

Oh wait - you are saying sponsors will be pulling out now that Bruyneel is taking over?
Cancellations are Imminent.
Probably by Christmas.

Wrong - much sooner than Christmas. Most probable dates are 9/5/2011 - the infamous September 5th date (but that is holidays in the US, so it may be a day later). Other best date is Nigel Tufnel Day.

A

Anonymous

Polish said:
The lack of proof that they will not continue is not as inconceivable as the lack of proof that they will continue.

A first year law student could even see that.
Not so sure about second year law students though.

As a second year law student, coneivability is irrelevant. You can either prove what you can or you can't. Conceiving and a quarter equals 25 cents.

Leave the heavy lifting to those of us who understand such things, and comment on things you are better suited to understand.

P.S. Thanks for throwing up such a soft ball.

So a best possible GT lineup would be something like:

The Schlecks
Braijkovic
Fulgsang
Monfort
Cancerella
Machado
Kloden
Voigt

Levi and Chris to target smaller, shorter races. The first 5 riders listed could all be GC contenders, so the team could be strong at all 3 GT's.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
As a second year law student, coneivability is irrelevant. You can either prove what you can or you can't. Conceiving and a quarter equals 25 cents.

Leave the heavy lifting to those of us who understand such things, and comment on things you are better suited to understand.

P.S. Thanks for throwing up such a soft ball.

he threw you a ball and now I throw you a rope.

That densest mean it's not possible

Race Radio said:
What most in teh sport say in private about the Hog is not as kind as these quotes

Given that The Hog does not come to the U.S., runs from the police in Italy, and is the target of criminal investigations in multiple countries it is difficult to see why anyone would take such a risk. Sounds like the Hog did a good sales job to a gullible, desperate, customer.

I'm not pro or contra J.B. but just interested where did you learn of the "come to the U.S., runs from the police in Italy, and is the target of criminal investigations in multiple countries ?

I wonder if it did happen what the team would be like. Would riders like Fuglsang and Cancellara join when there is too much talent/ and Bruyneel does not focus on the classics.

I think also that RS are fine sponsorship wise so would not need to go through the process anyways.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
There is a serious amount of vitriol in this thread most of it unrelated to the actual topic. If I'm reading about a merger, personally, I'd like to read about that and not what people think of the personalities involved.

1. We don't know if a merger has taken place
2. We don't know the actual circumstances of said merger or what anyone involved has told anyone else.

What I have found out so far it that, 2 weeks is the difference between being a saint like Bob S and telling your crew in August and telling your team in Sept. ( which BTW, is 3 months notice at the least, has anyone else here ever gotten that much notice of a layoff).

I also found out that many people dislike JB. It's a free country, you get to to that but ascribing motives and actions to him without actually knowing what he has or has not done just seems petty. Frankly the entire thread is 99 % petty conjecture and about 1 % actual information.

A

Anonymous

Boeing said:
he threw you a ball and now I throw you a rope.

That densest mean it's not possible

I wasn't asking about possibilities in my original post. I asked for proof from a person who did not possess such, who had asked for proof from another who did not possess such regarding a subject that was pure speculation on the part of both. My original question was rhetorical.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
There is a serious amount of vitriol in this thread most of it unrelated to the actual topic. If I'm reading about a merger, personally, I'd like to read about that and not what people think of the personalities involved.

2. We don't know the actual circumstances of said merger or what anyone involved has told anyone else.

What I have found out so far it that, 2 weeks is the difference between being a saint like Bob S and telling your crew in August and telling your team in Sept. ( which BTW, is 3 months notice at the least, has anyone else here ever gotten that much notice of a layoff).

I also found out that many people dislike JB. It's a free country, you get to to that but ascribing motives and actions to him without actually knowing what he has or has not done just seems petty. Frankly the entire thread is 99 % petty conjecture and about 1 % actual information.
The vitriol is a by-product of JB's Clinic status!

While I agree with your post in the main, applying regular job market logic to professional sports contacts is misguided. 3 months notice to find a team for the forthcoming season is the bare minimum needed when you consider many riders have already been sorting their next move for a month officially and possibly longer unofficially. That means a months head-start straightaway. When you take into account the average professional's marketable career is 5 or so years max, you can see that time is not something that can be wasted. Joe Bike Fan has a far longer shelf life in the work market in general, so 3 months notice is more manageable, whilst no less of an imposition, when losing a job.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:

If you only wish to talk about the merger and not the personalities involved then why only bring up Bruyneel?

Also who said Bob Stapleton is a Saint? Is that part of the 99% conjecture?
You seem to miss that when Stapleton could not find a replacement sponsor he let his riders know - he did not have those riders on a contract for next year.

gregrowlerson said:
So a best possible GT lineup would be something like:

The Schlecks
Braijkovic
Fulgsang
Monfort
Cancerella
Machado
Kloden
Voigt

Levi and Chris to target smaller, shorter races. The first 5 riders listed could all be GC contenders, so the team could be strong at all 3 GT's.

Isn't Levi going to OP/QS or has that announcement been proven to be a false
rumour?

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
Isn't Levi going to OP/QS or has that announcement been proven to be a false rumour?

It's a strong rumour as even Brian Holm was discussing it but Levi has said that he hasn't comitted to anything so it's not 100%.

Contador on the merger:

“If the merger between RadioShack and Leopard is confirmed it would be hard for me, they would have a really strong team for the big tours. But I know that Riis is also working to reinforce our team. I think we’ll have a strong team and remember that this year a lot of the Tour team raced the Giro beforehand, so it was difficult to recover.”

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
While it is nice to pretend otherwise the reality is it is impossible to discuss this topic and ignore the fact that Bruyneel has a toxic history with many riders. sponsors and partners. This history is not limited to clinic related topics but also multiple unpaid bonuses, lies, and manipulation.

Brunyeel is facing the possibility serious legal trouble in multiple jurisdictions. He has been at war with the UCI for most of the year. Given Becca's limited knowledge of the sport he may not be aware this but certainly there are riders, staff, and sponsors who are looking at the prospect of suddenly be tossed in with Johan with concern

TRENDING THREADS