• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 186 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Andy and Frank (or just Andy, can't remember exactly) is on record as saying that they will always race on the same team. How will Andy handle this news?
I'd be quite curious to hear his response to all of this if they (the team) allow him to speak about it publicly to the media. Just another obstacle in his way to get back to where he was before his injury. :(

For Frank this is a nightmare that he can't wakeup from. The only potential plus is that if Andy backs out of his contract, it of course will mean that he and Frank will be signing with the same team which limits Andy's options but increases Frank's. "What teams will be open to taking the Schlecks" is the next logical thread topic to be opened.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Roude Leiw said:
Beccas spokesperson just denied the content of this article on national radio (RTL)

Thanks! I guess we will find out soon what it is worth.

Publicus said:
Is it my imagination or wasn't Frank fired (out of a contract) when his positive was upheld?

No I don't think so... he was always listed as team rider on the website and trained in the team gear...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
What I don't get is this hate for Fränk all of a sudden... yes he has major clinic issues but so do quite a few other riders on the team. And if you want to build an entire team around the classics and ignore the grand tours (which the article suggests) Fränk would not be the worst rider to keep because he can actually get results in smaller stage races, unlike Andy

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
janraaskalt said:
All of it, or just some details?

all of it, i suppose though that it is partly tactics, without a title sponsor and don't see where Becca is going to, he sunk quite some personal money in this project. I think he tries to sell at a value which allows him to recoup his losses.

Christian said:
What I don't get is this hate for Fränk all of a sudden... yes he has major clinic issues but so do quite a few other riders on the team. And if you want to build an entire team around the classics and ignore the grand tours (which the article suggests) Fränk would not be the worst rider to keep because he can actually get results in smaller stage races, unlike Andy

Money? Don't know how big his contract is though.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
Fabian Cancellara will stay with the team. Trek has promised the swiss powerhouse to build the team's focus around the classics. The grand tours will be more of a UCI-duty than a team goal.

Jungels is wanted by several teams. His decision might likely depend on the financial aspect, where Trek could probably not match the offers of the competition.

Finally the future of LEOPARD TREK Continental Team is also in doubt.

http://www.tageblatt.lu/sport/story/Becca-verkauft-WorldTour-Lizenz-18201951

That's good news that they will be built around Cancellara. Cance deserves that, and he's there best shot at success. Now though they need sign some really good guys that can do a good job working for him in the classics but can still bring in results at other times throughout the year. Hopefully Jungels stays too. Staying and learning from Cance could be the best thing for his development.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:

I think it's more that in light of Di Luca, then Santambrogio, and now even possibly a Russian rider they want to be extra careful and avoid the riders that could be seen as especially "risky."

But I agree with you that they should keep him on despite him coming back from a ban. Targeting only the classics isn't the best plan for success since anything can happen in them (see Cance at Flanders last year). And rider like Frank that can place well in other races. Hopefully if he Andy will stay on and keep going even if he brother can't get a spot. Or maybe they'll find a new team where they will both have plenty of opportunities. Would prefer to see them stay at Trek (and I think that would be the best decision for them), but a new team wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
isnt cances contract ending this year, and treks as well?no point in giving becca anything. better set up a new team without all the baggage or join forces with iam.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
So now it is revealed that Becca took a loan over €1.5 million from Bruyneel last year to cover riders' wages, but has never paid the money back. How much skechier can this guy be??!

Not to change the subject but rather bring up a seperate point of discussion. What do people think RSLT's Tour-team will be? I know the team will be mostly invisible but it is still a somewhat interesting question for me. Here is a short wrap-up:

Out: Fränk Schleck, Chris Horner, Yaroslav Popovych

Maybe out: Fabian Cancellara

In: Andy Schleck, Haimar Zubeldia, Maxime Monfort, Andreas Klöden, Tony Gallopin.

That leaves 3 or 4 slots to fill. If we take the Dauphiné and Suisse teams, the remaining candidates are:

Matthew Busche
Laurent Didier
Ben Hermans
Markel Irizar
Ben King
Thomas Rohregger

Stijn Devolder
Grégory Rast
Hayden Roulston
Jens Voigt

My analysis:

Jens Voigt**** - besides being a machine is good for Andy's spirits, publicity, visibility and maybe even a breakaway win
Matty Bouché**** - token american on the team, but still well-deserved IMO with consistent performances over the last years
Laurent Didier*** - Andy's private bodyguard, raced with him all season except Tour de Suisse, but likely only because RSLT wants the Luxembourg champion in their home race. However if Andy shows bad form his chances go down
Markel Irizar*** - maybe requested by Zubeldia if the latter shows good form at the Dauphiné and becomes the undisputed leader, chances rising if Cancellara does not ride
Stijn Devolder** - maybe requested by Cancellara, or else called up so that the average age doesn't drop too much. Also has shown good form this year. But if Cancellara renounces, will follow the same schedule as the swiss powerhouse
Hayden Roulston** - has a chance if Cancellara renounces, recent Giro participation might work against him
Ben Hermans** - showed slight promise in last year's Giro and has performed well in smaller stage races this year

Ben King, Thomas Rohregger and Gregory Rast do not have a chance IMO.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
screaming fist said:
What about Jungels? I know he seems too young, but he was at the recon-camp with Andy, Voigt and Monfort.

That is true - my interpretation was that he will be the leader for the Tour of Luxembourg and that this part of his season was build around that. Also the fact that he is not doing Dauphiné or Suisse speaks against his participation

Afrank said:
That's good news that they will be built around Cancellara. Cance deserves that, and he's there best shot at success. Now though they need sign some really good guys that can do a good job working for him in the classics but can still bring in results at other times throughout the year. Hopefully Jungels stays too. Staying and learning from Cance could be the best thing for his development.

Cancellara saved the team's season last year and this year as well. He is good in Classics as well as a lot of stage races. Can basically perform all year as a single man army:).