• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 188 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Christian said:
snipped some..

Nizzolo is doing Tour of Luxembourg. If he could carry his form from the Giro he should have some nice opportunities there. For the Tour I think he is too cooked from the Giro though, let's not forget this was only his 2nd GT. I would say the same counts for the whole Giro team, but I might be wrong. That would mean no Popovych and no NZL guys. Although Roulston left early and is now doing Suisse, he is the only one that I could imagine doing it. And Hondo maybe too.

My best bets with the new info would be Rast, Didier, Irizar, Hermans. I am pretty confident the remaining riders will come from that group.

As for the goals I think it can only be stage wins and top-10 for Zubeldia. Team GC could be possible but will be more difficult this year I think. Stages will also be tough, pretty much only possible from breakaways. My prediction is they will be invisible throughout the race and Zubeldia will finish somewhere between 8th and 12th

Thanks.
Can't say I'm a fan of the 8-12 GC concept, but Shack aren't alone with the idea.

Could Andy try and go for Polka dots if he falls down the GC rather early?

The Voeckler vs Kessiakoff battle last year was pretty entertaining.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Thanks.
Can't say I'm a fan of the 8-12 GC concept, but Shack aren't alone with the idea.

Could Andy try and go for Polka dots if he falls down the GC rather early?

The Voeckler vs Kessiakoff battle last year was pretty entertaining.

I could see Andy going for Polka dots if he ends up in the position too, but I don't expect him to specifically target it. He likely won't be making any early impact to the GC I don't think (I'm not expecting really anything GC-wise from him). I think he'll try in the first week to see if he will be able to get a decent GC, and if not than start going more for stage wins.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I think their chances to really win something is the Team Classification (not that prestigues, but better than nothing) and its quit possible to win it with the likes of Schleck, Klöden, Zubeldia and Monfort. + Voigt to gain time in breakaways.

Andy could challenge for podium, but I cant see any chance to threat Froome and Contador. Klödi and Zubeldia should be in or close to top 10. Monfort close behind.

Its a strong team, considering how many GC-riders they have, but all 4 of their GC-men is pretty useless for stagehunting. Klödi and Zubeldia is Mr Consistent but lacks sprinting talent. Monfort is not really good enough. And Schleck aint aloud to be in a breakway unless is far back, which would suggest he aint good enough to win the stage.

So I hope they tries to protect their GC-men especially Andy, sends Voigt in breakaways as often they can. And wait and see. If Andy can challenge for a podium then put all their efforts to succed (Maybe put an eye to the team contest). If not, only go for Team Classification. If they even fail that, its all about attack!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Looks like Fränk is already training for the Vuelta, he posted a picture from Granada on twitter, saying he was training there. Best of luck - this week is supposed to be a very hot one. I assume he is reconnoitring some passages of stages 9 and 10? RSLT Vuelta line-up has the potential to be very good - both Schlecks, Horner and Cancellara all seem very likely. But then again their teams are often good on paper but suck on the road.

Devolder meanwhile has told Het Nieuwsblad that he was surprised of his non-selection for the Tour. The team had more or less told him it was a done deal apparently. His wife had already booked a hotel room in Nice, so now they will still go, just as tourists. He lost his spot to Laurent Didier. I assume he really lost it because of Cancellara, he must want him by his side later in the season.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
pastronef said:
RSLT are leading the team classement after today's stage

1 RadioShack Leopard 195:00:32
2 Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:03:11
3 Ag2R La Mondiale 0:04:04
4 Movistar Team 0:14:00
5 Belkin Pro Cycling 0:19:08

Wtf, how did they pull that off?? Should be difficult to defend it agains Saxo though

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Contador and Kreuziger are going to end very close to the winner every stage to Paris. And the 3rd rider could be Roche, Rogers or even Hernandez.

Face to face they can't win the team classification. Unless they go by breaks...

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Becca limiting the teams budget for the remainder of the season, so they won't be able to compete in some races.
As a result the team will compete in the remaining WorldTour events; the in-progress Vuelta a España, plus the GP Ouest France in Plouay (September 1st), the GP Cycliste de Québec, the GP Cycliste de Montréal (September 13th and 15th respectively), Il Lombardia (October 6th) and the Tour of Beijing (Oct 11th – 15th).

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...s-budget-for-remainder-of-current-season.aspx

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
They do seem to finally have found their stride this season though, which is very good to see. Hopefully they will be able to carry it over to the new Trek team. And they'll definitely be better off and in a better position once their done with Becca.

It's good that they are investing in some talented young guys for the new team as well.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
It's good that they are investing in some talented young guys for the new team as well.

I'm surprised at how many neo pro's they are taking on. They are all very interesting riders but we must be realistic - they will most likely not get many results.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
I'm surprised at how many neo pro's they are taking on. They are all very interesting riders but we must be realistic - they will most likely not get many results.

I don't think the young guys will be under too much pressure for results. The experienced guys should get enough. If Horner stays, and the Schlecks refind something of their former selves this is looking like a well balanced team in terms of classics, stage races, youth and experience(lol voight, horner(if he signs)). Maybe just looking for a stronger sprinter.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
Maybe just looking for a stronger sprinter.

Nizzolo has the potential to win big races - not against Cavendish, Kittel and Greipel on a normal day, but still - and I hope that they will give him more support next year. This year he had Hondo who is a beast but he will not get a new contract. Next year they have a lot of fast men with Felline, Alafaci, Silvestre, Stuyven, possibly the Van Poppels... it could be a real force in smaller races

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Nizzolo has the potential to win big races - not against Cavendish, Kittel and Greipel on a normal day, but still - and I hope that they will give him more support next year. This year he had Hondo who is a beast but he will not get a new contract. Next year they have a lot of fast men with Felline, Alafaci, Silvestre, Stuyven, possibly the Van Poppels... it could be a real force in smaller races

I agree with this, that's why I said they are looking for a "stronger" sprinter. Off the top of my head, Viviani, Demare, Bouhanni, Degenkolb, Kristoff...actually probably not Demare.

TRENDING THREADS