• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
just some guy said:
Leopard have released a statement saying it in not true for what ever it is worth.

Well, in the language of the clinic...

They've denied it? Well it must be true, only guilty people deny anything! It's obviously happening and you're an imbecile if you don't wake up and realise it. Even if it doesn't happen it actually really is happening, you either aren't smart enough to see it or are a fanboy blocking it out.

In the real world, I guess it probably means it isn't true. Can't see the reasons why myself.

Edit:
I mean can't see the reasons why they would merge

The Hitch said:
No one is going to be Americas next darling by riding a bike, especially no foreigner and I don't quite see why he has to hook up with brunyeel to have a private jet.

Maybe he just received a good offer and didnt refuse?

I would disagree with that. I hate to say this, but look at Lance who won, what, 5 or 6 straight Sports Illustrated 'sportsman of the year' awards. That put him ahead of all other athletes in the US covering all sports. OK, he did not have to go head-to-head in a vote against Michael Jordan. But those awards say something about how the ppl in the US viewed him. He certainly was no saint in some ways. I do agree, however, that a foreigner would not be likely to be the next big thing in the US, because there are just too many other great athletes to consider. But I do think it would be awesome if a foreigner could get to that point in the US.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
solution

patterson_hood said:
Well, in the language of the clinic...

They've denied it? Well it must be true, only guilty people deny anything! It's obviously happening and you're an imbecile if you don't wake up and realise it. Even if it doesn't happen it actually really is happening, you either aren't smart enough to see it or are a fanboy blocking it out.
In the real world, I guess it probably means it isn't true. Can't see the reasons why myself.
Edit:
I mean can't see the reasons why they would merge

"Is happening... might happen... has happened... will happen..." all your difficulties can be resolved with quantum cycling theory. At the sub atomic level riders can be in TWO places at once, or in fact NO places at once; stupidity and genius must co-exist because time cease to be relative, or exist at all. Teams, riders and sponsors will all pop in an out of existance, seemingly at random... and the act of forumits observing them will influence that which they observe, and uncertsinty will be the only constant.

In stark contrast, threads such as this at the "big picture level", appear to be collapsing on themselves, becoming infinitely dense so that no content is able to escape, and time itself ceases to exist

or that's the way it feels.

According to Wielerflits Leopard has 28 contracted riders for next year, Radioshack at least 17. That would make a merger impossible, unless they are going to cancel the contracts (I don't even know if that's possible.)

De meest prangende vraag die zich stelt, is of een fusie überhaupt wel mogelijk is. Volgens de regelgeving van de Internationale Wielerunie mag een ploeg namelijk 30 renners tellen. Bij Leopard-Trek liggen voor volgend jaar als 28 renners onder contract; RadioShack heeft al zeker 17 namen vastgelegd

Google Translate:
The most pressing question which arises is whether a merger is at all possible. According to the regulations of the International Cycling Union, a team of 30 riders which is counting. With Leopard Trek are for next year as 28 riders under contract, RadioShack has been recorded at least 17 names

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what the contracts of some riders on LEOPARD TREK look like but I could imagine some of them might be let go at the end of the season. A guy like Martin Pedersen for example might just have been there to fill a spot until rider x is available for next season.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Boy, I hope that denial's true. :eek:
I like some of the Shack riders, and I like the Schlecks, Voigt, Cancellara, etc, but I don't like the idea of them with Bruyneel.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Yeah, well, the Shack is run by a bunch of survivalists. I don't see the Shack staying on as a sponsor for the long run. But I see the Shack team structure sticking. So there's prolly some truth to what you say.

The Shack sponsorship will always be one of the great mysteries of modern cycling. Obviously is was born to be team-Lance and then every rider who wanted to be associated with the great man would want to ride. But the Contador saga put end to that theory. No younger or entry level pro riders want to ride for them. I’m still surprised Radioshack the company signed on for two more years.

Now if they do merge with Leopard then that is a awesome move. Kloden and Horner become worker bees for Andy then that’s a farily formidable squad.

A Tour team with Jens, Canc, Horner, Kloden, Jani , Frank all working for Andy along with some UCI “assistance” would make a Tour winning squad.

Kloden/Horner will never win the Tour off their own bats. Never.

If I was Andy I would sign on the dotted line. This is his chance. If it does happen expect his time trialing to improve by at least 2 minutes from Bruyneel's sprecial wind tunnel testing.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
rickshaw said:
"Is happening... might happen... has happened... will happen..." all your difficulties can be resolved with quantum cycling theory. At the sub atomic level riders can be in TWO places at once, or in fact NO places at once; stupidity and genius must co-exist because time cease to be relative, or exist at all. Teams, riders and sponsors will all pop in an out of existance, seemingly at random... and the act of forumits observing them will influence that which they observe, and uncertsinty will be the only constant.

In stark contrast, threads such as this at the "big picture level", appear to be collapsing on themselves, becoming infinitely dense so that no content is able to escape, and time itself ceases to exist

Quantum cycling theory!:D

I love it. Nicely done, rickshaw.

thehog said:
The Shack sponsorship will always be one of the great mysteries of modern cycling. Obviously is was born to be team-Lance and then every rider who wanted to be associated with the great man would want to ride. But the Contador saga put end to that theory. No younger or entry level pro riders want to ride for them. I’m still surprised Radioshack the company signed on for two more years.

Now if they do merge with Leopard then that is a awesome move. Kloden and Horner become worker bees for Andy then that’s a farily formidable squad.

A Tour team with Jens, Canc, Horner, Kloden, Jani , Frank all working for Andy along with some UCI “assistance” would make a Tour winning squad.

Kloden/Horner will never win the Tour off their own bats. Never.

If I was Andy I would sign on the dotted line. This is his chance. If it does happen expect his time trialing to improve by at least 2 minutes from Bruyneel special wind tunnel testing.

"Bruyneel special wind tunnel testing"......is that what they are calling it these days?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I can understand why Becca would want to merge. Johan certainly has a long history of running top level teams. He would get along great with Kim "Lifetime ban" Anderson.

There is just that little problem of not being able to go to Italy or the US without the police showing up

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Those are the days when certain posters feel the need to leave the clinic, to go on trashing and hating in the racing-forum and bring in their usual clinic-sh**. :D
This is not the clinic, btw.

Lance won't find a sponsor.... :rolleyes:
RS will be gone before the season 2010 ends....
RS won't ride le Tour....
There will be no Team RS in 2011....
Team RS won't ride the Tour.....
Team RS won't find a new sponsor....
RS will be gone before season 2011 ends.....
No one wants to ride for Team RS....

I wonder why some people still have the nerves to still open their mouths. :cool:
Oh, it must be the internet where people give a sh** about their reputation.

on3m@n@rmy said:
I would disagree with that. I hate to say this, but look at Lance who won, what, 5 or 6 straight Sports Illustrated 'sportsman of the year' awards. That put him ahead of all other athletes in the US covering all sports. OK, he did not have to go head-to-head in a vote against Michael Jordan. But those awards say something about how the ppl in the US viewed him. He certainly was no saint in some ways. I do agree, however, that a foreigner would not be likely to be the next big thing in the US, because there are just too many other great athletes to consider. But I do think it would be awesome if a foreigner could get to that point in the US.

"Awesome" is definitely not the word that I would use to describe that prospect. Nauseating and unfortunate would be more of how I'd describe it if it involves AS.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Funny how Johan does not deny the possibility while Leopard is very clear it is not happening.

This is increasingly looking like an attempt by Johan to pretend he is still relevant in the sport.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
rickshaw said:

Post of the year. Maybe of all time.

Race Radio said:
Funny how Johan does not deny the possibility while Leopard is very clear it is not happening.

This is increasingly looking like an attempt by Johan to pretend he is still relevant in the sport.

Not sure what to make of it. It could be that, like it or not and rather than merging, Bruyneel/Armstrong are simply throwing their weight (along with Pat's) behind the Schlecks. Don't forget, after all, that the Schlecks are the designated darlings of the cycling establishment. They are supposed to be WINNING. And perhaps they will yet be winning, no matter what it takes.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

When the merger happens and Bruyneel is in charge, will that indicate to you that Johan is "still relevant in the sport"?

TRENDING THREADS