• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radioshack-Leopard Trek

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Kim is staying as a directeur sportif.
the schleck brothers never had a big influence on the team. It ' s all about money. Nygaard couldn't present an investor to Becca and Trek made the liaison.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
What I don't understand, is how a team can be awarded a pro licence, then seemingly fail to exist after a year.

It reads as though the team will ride on Leopards licence. Surely therefore it's the Shack riders that are in the 5hite?

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
http://velocast.tumblr.com/post/9829215238/lequipe-is-dead-wrong-about-leopard-trek

why would Frank and Andy’s father, Johny - a former pro cyclist himself - acquiesce so readily to the collapse of the Leopard-Trek squad when he has vehemently resisted any advances by Bruyneel towards his two sons in the past? The last thing Johny Schleck wants to see is his sons fall into the clutches of Johan Bruyneel.

That's an interesting quote regarding the dynamics of this situation, as I had never previously heard of friction between anyone in the Schleck camp and Bruyneel, especially since Andy has had strong praise for Armstrong in the past. Does anyone else know of animosity between Jonny and JB?

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I feel sorry for the guys who posed with the scarf and like we are the coolest and now to be clear are in the street:mad:

the scarf farce had a BIG price

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Radioshack-Nissan-Trek

Rnt-boys? Bit unfortunate.:eek:

Radioshack-Nissan-Trek....

wonder what the kit will look like?

Maybe this:

radioshack.jpg

LaFlorecita said:

Rolling on floor laughing about the title of the news. Euphemism for the win I guess.

Anyway, shows why I always opposed this kind of set-up with an entity setting up a team instead of a team manager. Cervelo showed the same, still not sure about BMC in the long run.

You need a DS that will look for all ways to secure the team and who has the ultimate power in the team.

Who would you rather be with if you have a mortgage and all that: Gianetti or Becca? One will always fight for his team as his team is not dependent on one source of money and will always strive to continue in spite of (frankly, huge) difficulties. When Gianetti stops looking for a solution, you know he has done his utmost to secure a future.

Its not the same on Leopard.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Bruyneel's team is not disappearing. The management and ownership from RS will be in charge of this team.

How do you know this? I haven't seen it reported yet which management will be part of this set-up except they appear to be operating on Leopards licence.

This sucks big time, the aforementioned 11 guys leaving Leopard will be the guys replaced by the Shack riders. The biggest majority of the team will still be Leopard riders. The majority of the Shack riders will be those that are left out in the cold. It seems that the Shack sacrificed their own team to get into bed with the Schlecks.

The only thing slightly interesting about all this is that we see a car company sponsoring a cycling team. That's a first I think (not counting Peugeot as they made bicycles as well).

Of course we have Skoda with a fairly strong commitment in providing material and some sponsorship, but this is interesting.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I thought I couldn't like the Schlecks any less.
And now, they are with Bruyneel.
I don't know who I will be supporting at the 2012 Tour, but I am sure who I'll be wishing to have an epic fail.
I just hope Voigt doesn't sign with them for next year.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Ok then - who is going where?

That I don't know - I learned the information before any of the rider-level details had been worked out. The brothers + Canc + Horner, Klodie, Jani and a couple other RS is all I've heard and I think most were aware of that anyway.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
The only thing slightly interesting about all this is that we see a car company sponsoring a cycling team. That's a first I think (not counting Peugeot as they made bicycles as well).

Of course we have Skoda with a fairly strong commitment in providing material and some sponsorship, but this is interesting.

Renault used to sponsor a team in the '70s and '80s.

AngusW said:
Renault used to sponsor a team in the '70s and '80s.

Didn't they also make bikes? Lots of car makers started as bike manufacturers after all.

I checked and Renault didn't make bikes but bought a bike company that was sponsoring that team and so changed the name of the team to Renault.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
That I don't know - I learned the information before any of the rider-level details had been worked out. The brothers + Canc + Horner, Klodie, Jani and a couple other RS is all I've heard and I think most were aware of that anyway.
Thats the riders - and that was in the press release.

But you said:
eleven said:
Bruyneel's team is not disappearing. The management and ownership from RS will be in charge of this team.
So who will be running the team?

Zoncolan said:
I thought I couldn't like the Schlecks any less.
And now, they are with Bruyneel.
I don't know who I will be supporting at the 2012 Tour, but I am sure who I'll be wishing to have an epic fail.
I just hope Voigt doesn't sign with them for next year.

i just hope Voigt signs with them. to make you angry.
why wishing an "epic fail" to someone?

isn't it better to wish a big win to someone you like?

it is incredible how the haters have come out in numbers in the cycling forums

TRENDING THREADS