• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radioshack-Leopard Trek

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
The only thing slightly interesting about all this is that we see a car company sponsoring a cycling team. That's a first I think (not counting Peugeot as they made bicycles as well).

Of course we have Skoda with a fairly strong commitment in providing material and some sponsorship, but this is interesting.

...and Citroen were a co-sponsor of La Vie Claire in 1984 or 1985?

In MTB, there was Volkswagen-Trek and Volvo-Cannondale. Subaru was involved in the early '90s with a team Armstrong was in and later was a personal sponsor and maybe a USPS/Disco co-sponsor.

FIAT sponsored Eddy Merckx's team in 1977.

incredible what a fail by rat mcquaid again,he was litteraly the boss of this team,going in the winter at their training camp,promoting this team as the future of cycling,the best team in the world and now this.

it will be a force next year no doubt but i don't like this merger.i'd have prefered the two teams

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Bruyneel's team is not disappearing. The management and ownership from RS will be in charge of this team.

Really? I missed that part of the press release, could you point it out for me?

The press release does say that the team would be based in Lux and use Leopard's license. I see no mention of Brunyeel.

Are you saying that Johan will run a different team because right now it appears that his team is dead.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
Didn't they also make bikes? Lots of car makers started as bike manufacturers after all.

I checked and Renault didn't make bikes but bought a bike company that was sponsoring that team and so changed the name of the team to Renault.

I did not know that. I know that Hinault joined the Gitane team in 1975 which also included Van Impe. In 1977 or 1978 Renault-Elf became a sponsor but the team continued to ride Gitane bikes (a company owned presumably by Renault).

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
pastronef said:
i just hope Voigt signs with them. to make you angry.
why wishing an "epic fail" to someone?

isn't it better to wish a big win to someone you like?

it is incredible how the haters have come out in numbers in the cycling forums

Oh, it is better. I'm just a sad little person.
I don't hate "them". Schlecklette I strongly dislike, Frank so and so, the Hog - well it's pretty close to hate. He embodies everything wrong with cycling.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So Jani is going to be forced to ride the Giro/Vuelta I guess. I'm pretty sure Johan is going to be the manager of the team, because Jani will follow Johan where ever he goes.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Is Bruyneel that toxic that a new team that he is allegedly going to be associated or part owner with does not mention him the 'illustrious' 8 time TdF winning DS in its press release?

An oversight maybe or are they still looking for more sponsors to jump aboard and dont want to scare anyone away?

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Is Bruyneel that toxic that a new team that he is allegedly going to be associated or part owner with does not mention him the 'illustrious' 8 time TdF winning DS in its press release?

An oversight maybe or are they still looking for more sponsors to jump aboard and dont want to scare anyone away?

Er.. didn't he win 9 (7 with LA and 2 with AC)?

So the Shack guys signed or most likely to sign are

Horner
Kloeden
Brajkovic
Busche
Oliveira

RadioShack had signed Tony Gallopin and Gianni Meersman, can they just be dumped again?? Dont think so.

Ben Hermans and Gregory Rast had already signed for Leopard so they are in regardless.

Ben King and Bjorn Selander were neo-pros this year so again do they have to be included?

That is 11 guys right there to replace the rumoured 11 Leopard departees. Who else might Bruyneel take with him? IvanRovny, Jesse Sergeant, anyone else?

That leaves a lot of Shack riders without a job for next year.

Rumours of others, Portugese guys Paulinho, Machado, Cardoso to Saxo Bank??
Beppu to GE!! Leipheimer to Quick Step.

No rumours or links so far:

Zubeldia
Irizar
Deignan
Bewley
McCartney
Lequatre

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
And what about their guaranteed winner?

So how does Cav fit into the new team (assuming that he went for the big money offer, not the nationally motivated move to Sky)?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
They merged. So what? If I've learned anything lately it is that teams change around and die like crazy. All I care is that the sport continues.

You may have learned "that teams change around and die like crazy", what needs to be learned is "why"?

We have 2 big teams ending (HTC, Radioshack) and only one new team (Greenedge) coming in. That is a lot of riders and staff looking for jobs and it does not show the sport in a favorable position.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
So the Shack guys signed or most likely to sign are

Horner
Kloeden
Brajkovic
Busche
Oliveira

RadioShack had signed Tony Gallopin and Gianni Meersman, can they just be dumped again?? Dont think so.

Ben Hermans and Gregory Rast had already signed for Leopard so they are in regardless.

Ben King and Bjorn Selander were neo-pros this year so again do they have to be included?

That is 11 guys right there to replace the rumoured 11 Leopard departees. Who else might Bruyneel take with him? IvanRovny, Jesse Sergeant, anyone else?

That leaves a lot of Shack riders without a job for next year.

Rumours of others, Portugese guys Paulinho, Machado, Cardoso to Saxo Bank??
Beppu to GE!! Leipheimer to Quick Step.

No rumours or links so far:

Zubeldia
Irizar
Deignan
Bewley
McCartney
Lequatre

I'd assume Irizar will stay with Johan.

Dr. Maserati said:
You may have learned "that teams change around and die like crazy", what needs to be learned is "why"?

We have 2 big teams ending (HTC, Radioshack) and only one new team (Greenedge) coming in. That is a lot of riders and staff looking for jobs and it does not show the sport in a favorable position.

It's still hardly gonna be the end for the sport... :rolleyes:

Besides; I wasn't aware that there had to be a balance between dying teams and new teams. Maybe next year we'll see a ****load of new teams and no old teams dying...

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:
The only thing slightly interesting about all this is that we see a car company sponsoring a cycling team. That's a first I think (not counting Peugeot as they made bicycles as well).

Of course we have Skoda with a fairly strong commitment in providing material and some sponsorship, but this is interesting.
Ford (France) financed Anquetil's swan song.

OT: Maybe if the Schlecks raced some more, Becca wouldn't need another teams sponsors.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
is there not a UCI rule where riders have to get a minimum contract for 2 years? Does that mean a lot riders are due a years wages even if they lose their rides?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
It's still hardly gonna be the end for the sport... :rolleyes:
As long as there are bikes there will always be cycling and racing.

RedheadDane said:
I
Besides; I wasn't aware that there had to be a balance between dying teams and new teams. Maybe next year we'll see a ****load of new teams and no old teams dying...
Well that balance doesn't just apply to professional cycling - if you have more dying than being created it will become extinct.

As I said earlier - the real question is why teams are folding, as there is no reason for teams to "die" or fold.

A

Anonymous

can we just get some clarification on wether its

Radioshack-Nissan-Trek

Radioshack Nissan Trek

or

Radioshack Nissan TREK

and how are we pronouncing Nissan?

TRENDING THREADS