• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Fair enough - having Bruyneel/CSE on board makes sense
But ultimately someone has to have the control here and I don't see Becca giving it away to easily.
So has Becca still some ownership here? As earlier you seemed to suggest he would not have any.

Perhaps my earlier post wasn't clear - and let me reiterate that I'm not privy to the exact details of the agreement. My understanding is that Becca will retain an ownership stake, but not the whole entity or a controlling interest in it.

That's what I was trying to say when I said "I believe Becca will remain an owner, but certainly not the owner. Part of the ownership stake will transfer to the other entities involved." My post previous to that, however, was muddled at best.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
elf1978 said:
More of a specifics query, but does the new merger go with Shimano or Sram setup? Also, aside from the big names guaranteed a spot for next year (Cancallera, the Schlecks, Brajkovic), who's on the short list of cycling celebrities looking for a job?

Sram .............

A

Anonymous

The fact that none of the riders were told is sickening. Brice Feillu finds out through the press.

Ridiculous way to treat riders and staff. Leopard to the top of my hate list.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
The fact that none of the riders were told is sickening. Brice Feillu finds out through the press.

and they have been instructed not to talk to the press re merger anymore

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:

DS Andersen also got the news via the media and as u said alot of the riders. Even Fuglsagn who is supposedly gonna be a part of the new team

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Another good thing that comes from this is it reduces the impact when Johan and lance get indictment. Previously they were principles. Indictments would likely mean the team would shut down and there would be even more chaos. Now Johan is an employee, paid to drive the car and sell jerseys. Far easier to make a surgical remove of Johan and have the team continue.

The reason for the "More info on September 15th" is that the UCI has 10 days to approve a merger. As of this weekend they had received nothing, but that likely changed yesterday.

Trek's deal with the U23 team was recently resigned for 3 more years so hopefully they continue.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Fact first, then fiction

OK. Lets figure out starting from scratch who is in and who is out.

First the limit. It is 28 with 0 neo-pros, 30 with 2+ neo-pros. As Jesse Sergent and Ben King from Radioshack have already been mentioned in the official communique, that sets the upper limit at 30.

Now lets start with Radioshack. Those mentioned in the official announcement are 1) Kloden 2) Horner 3) Brajkovic 4) Busche 5) Zubeldia 6) Oliveira 7) Sargeant 8) King. That is 8. Plus Ben Hermans and Gregory Rast have been signed from Radioshack separately, so lets say they stay too. That is 10.

That leaves room for up to 20 more from the Leopard squad. Lets leave the final three seats open and pick 17.

Again, facts first. Those mentioned officially in either of two communiques are 11) A Schleck 12) F Schleck 13) Cancellara 14) Wagner 15) Bennati 16) Fuglsang.

So that makes 16. Now with the fiction, in a manner of speaking.

I think 17) Monfort 18) Zaugg and 19) Posthooma will walk in. 20) Denifl is way too talented a climber at 23 years to let go (he was their best rider in Colorado already), and 21) Jens Voigt is going to be on the team come what may (no way the Schlecks and Cancellara will accept his departure). He is leading the team in the Tour of Britain, for God's sake.

That makes 21. I think these 21 riders are pretty much certain to form the nucleus of the team.

Now comes the fictitious fiction. None of the remaining face guarantees, though I will proceed to pick the most likely.

22) Gerdemann is the kind of moody rider who may just walk, but he has grown very close to Frank Schleck and become his regular training partner, so I guess he could hang on too if he accepts to ride Giro and Vuelta (he has no Tour ticket in 2012 in this team). A rider who wont be nudged out in my opinion, but will not be pulled back either if he heads to the door.

23) Fabian Wegmann 24) Martin Pedersen
Both should stay put, though one cannot be sure. The Leopard backbone will probably want to keep them, but I am not so sure on what JB would want for these two. My guess is unless they volunteer to go, they will stay.

25) Will Clarke 26) Giacomo Nizzolo 27) Dominic Klemme
Clarke is a very talented Australian and Nizzolo an upcoming 22-year-old sprinter, neither of whom will be costing too much money. I don't see many names in favour of whom you would want to discard these promising lads. Cancellara may want to hang on to Klemme. At 24, he can time trial and ride the cobbles very well. Again, unlikely to be on a heavy contract. All three should be on the minimum 47,000, or a little more at best.

That just about takes it to 27, and it would be a very strong 27. As I said at the start, I am leaving the final three seats open.

It will be a mad dash right here with Stamsnijder and Anders Lund leading the race. Of course, more spots could open up if the likes of Gerdemann or even Fuglsang decide to look elsewhere. So there, you have it! Watsay!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The most intelligent post here I've seen yet!

cfan_2000 said:

First the limit. It is 28 with 0 neo-pros, 30 with 2+ neo-pros. As Jesse Sergent and Ben King from Radioshack have already been mentioned in the official communique, that sets the upper limit at 30.

Now lets start with Radioshack. Those mentioned in the official announcement are 1) Kloden 2) Horner 3) Brajkovic 4) Busche 5) Zubeldia 6) Oliveira 7) Sargeant 8) King. That is 8. Plus Ben Hermans and Gregory Rast have been signed from Radioshack separately, so lets say they stay too. That is 10.

That leaves room for up to 20 more from the Leopard squad. Lets leave the final three seats open and pick 17.

Again, facts first. Those mentioned officially in either of two communiques are 11) A Schleck 12) F Schleck 13) Cancellara 14) Wagner 15) Bennati 16) Fuglsang.

I think 17) Monfort 18) Zaugg and 19) Posthooma will walk in. 20) Denifl is way too talented a climber at 23 years to let go (he was their best rider in Colorado already), and 21) Jens Voigt is going to be on the team come what may (no way the Schlecks and Cancellara will accept his departure). He is leading the team in the Tour of Britain, for God's sake.

That makes 21. I think these 21 riders are pretty much certain to form the nucleus of the team.

Now comes the fictitious fiction. None of the remaining face guarantees, though I will proceed to pick the most likely.

22) Gerdemann is the kind of moody rider who may just walk, but he has grown very close to Frank Schleck and become his regular training partner, so I guess he could hang on too if he accepts to ride Giro and Vuelta (he has no Tour ticket in 2012 in this team). A rider who wont be nudged out in my opinion, but will not be pulled back either if he heads to the door.

Both should stay put, though one cannot be sure. The Leopard backbone will probably want to keep them, but I am not so sure on what JB would want for these two. My guess is unless they volunteer to go, they will stay.

Clarke is a very talented Australian and Nizzolo an upcoming 22-year-old sprinter, neither of whom will be costing too much money. I don't see many names in favour of whom you would want to discard these promising lads. Cancellara may want to hang on to Klemme. At 24, he can time trial and ride the cobbles very well. Again, unlikely to be on a heavy contract. All three should be on the minimum 47,000, or a little more at best.

That just about takes it to 27, and it would be a very strong 27. As I said at the start, I am leaving the final three seats open.

It will be a mad dash right here with Stamsnijder and Anders Lund leading the race. Of course, more spots could open up if the likes of Gerdemann or even Fuglsang decide to look elsewhere. So there, you have it! Watsay!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
New Name Leo-Oh-Pardon Moi?

IF RadioShack should falter, the corporation, there were rumors that BestBuy would purchase it.... Therefore, it would be appropriate, BestBuy-Nissan-Trek...

At this point, I'm going to study the rosters of Ag2r, EuropCar, and Vaconsoleil, as I'm thinking Radio-Shrek-Nisain't-Trek will be the Leo-Oh-Pardon for next year.... 2nd & 3rd....

Johnny Hoogerland is the new face of cycling. Is anyone one in this merger as tough as him right now? Only Jens. Time for a new team. HTFU-Racing.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
cfan_2000 said:

Brilliant post.
I was just working it out on paper.

But Spartakus still won't have really strong support for the classics or many cards to play. Perhaps he will attack with 100km to go. :)

Cobblestoned said:
Brilliant post.

But Spartakus still won't have really strong support for the classics or many cards to play. Perhaps he will attack with 100km to go. :)

Correct. Looking at the names for the Tour it looks good. But as a classics team Canc is going to have to win on his own again. BMC will smash him all over the place.... then again the Hog has the ability to make mid pack riders into very good workers.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
cfan_2000 said:

Best post of the thread. Thanks

One clarification, I do not think they have to have 2 Neo-Pro's but 2 U23's. They could be 2nd year guys as well

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
JV's Comments

There is no merger. Team Radio Shack is shutting its doors. RS the co is now sponsoring LEO

legally speaking, CSE will only be a commissioned sponsorship sales contractor. JB/riders now employees of Leopard.

On contracts, riders will get paid. They will either get paid to not race or will get the difference between their contract with their new team and what they would have been paid with Leopard. Chris Horner had this deal after Saturn folded.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Gregory Rast

Cobblestoned said:
Brilliant post.

Many thanks. I agree totally about the cobbled classics situation. But the truth is that there aren't many really good cobbled riders who are not contenders themselves.

Cancellara just doesn't have the power riders to blow the group to bits 50-60 km from the finish. That is what he needs, a lead group of around 30-35 before he can attack, and remaining 12-15 opponents look at each other. Otherwise there are too many domestiques to chase it down, which is what happened this year.

Gregory Rast, who finished fourth this year, in the same group as Cancellara and 19 seconds behind Van Summeren, will be a massive boost though. He has been signed just for this. Hopefully a rapidly improving Dominic Klemme will be another plus.

There is no doubt that Cancellara is the strongest cobbles rider, which marks him out and nobody cooperates (just as will happen to Gilbert next season as his honeymoon ends).

I don't think Cancellara will be bothered about the strength of his cobbled classics team. So far it seems to me that he would rather have a weak team than risk being stuck like Boonen or Hushovd with a strong rider (Devolder / Van Summ.) up the road. Bit of an ego thing maybe

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
I don't think Cancellara will be bothered about the strength of his cobbled classics team. So far it seems to me that he would rather have a weak team than risk being stuck like Boonen or Hushovd with a strong rider (Devolder / Van Summ.) up the road. Bit of an ego thing maybe

Strong rider like Devolder - Funniest thing Ive read for awhile :D

Nielsa said:
From Beppu's twitter 19 hours ago:

Fumybeppu Fumiyuki Beppu
"They Don't Care About Us"..Music By Michael Jackson

Yeah, the RadioShack riders are getting ****ed too, aren't they? I have less sympathy with them though, they had to know they were signing a contract with the devil (figuratively, I don't think even Bruyneel is quite on that level ;))

TRENDING THREADS