• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
How many classics victories did USP/Disco have with Bruyneel in the team car?

I remember an interview with Boonen were he said he regretted leaving USP at the end of 2002 because they had a strong team in 2003. And that interview was done somewhere in 2007 or so.

A

Anonymous

Moose McKnuckles said:
How many classics victories did USP/Disco have with Bruyneel in the team car?

None.

It was Demol in the car for the Classics and semi-classics. G-W was the only big one day race they won.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
It will indeed be interesting to see where Horner lands. The way he was speaking in the article it sounded like he did not have much going in the way of options..:confused:

I would think the old politics and bridge-burning rules are coming into play about now.

I think Horner is playing clueless in this interview. By saying that "it's all news to him" ends any line of questioning about the future team. Horner can talk it up and probably shut himself down before he said something that he would regret later. Certainly there are aspects of this deal that are still in play. So why not play it safe? When he says he plans to keep on racing gives me the impression, he's got a deal for the next few years with Shack/Leopard or not.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Radioshack-Nissan-Trek will have to lose one of its name sponsors: according to UCI rules, a team name can only be composed of 2 sponsors.

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-2012-radioshack-nissan-trek-devra-changer-de-nom-19381.html

It would be interesting to know exactly how much money (or what percentage of the total budget) a company has to invest in order to be a co-name sponsor. I would guess it is a considerable amount, so if RaNT has 3 of them plus Becca that would mean they are loaded

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
I think Horner is playing clueless in this interview. By saying that "it's all news to him" ends any line of questioning about the future team. Horner can talk it up and probably shut himself down before he said something that he would regret later. Certainly there are aspects of this deal that are still in play. So why not play it safe? When he says he plans to keep on racing gives me the impression, he's got a deal for the next few years with Shack/Leopard or not.

Possibly.....but more likely he is thinking of Johan's long history of screwing over riders and he is starting to regret getting caught up in this chaos.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
Radioshack-Nissan-Trek will have to lose one of its name sponsors: according to UCI rules, a team name can only be composed of 2 sponsors.

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-2012-radioshack-nissan-trek-devra-changer-de-nom-19381.html

It would be interesting to know exactly how much money (or what percentage of the total budget) a company has to invest in order to be a co-name sponsor. I would guess it is a considerable amount, so if RaNT has 3 of them plus Becca that would mean they are loaded

I doubt that the players involved here are clueless to the UCI rule. The hub-bub around the team name gives added publicity while they can get away with it. My guess is that TREK will still provide the bikes but will be lose top billing on the team name. Radio Shack/Nissan? Kind of awkward. I say TREK will go because bike companies in this era seldom headline for long. Cervelo could be considered the exception, but now Garmin/Cervelo.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Possibly.....but more likely he is thinking of Johan's long history of screwing over riders and he is starting to regret getting caught up in this chaos.

That would be true if Radio Shack drops out. Otherwise RS sponsorship will demand American riders.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:

That makes me think of
Androni Giocattoli-Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni :)

But ok, looks like just 2 sponsors.
No Extrawürste for team Radioshack-Nissan, Radioshack-Trek, Nissan-Trek or whatever the team will be called.

Christian said:

Maybe we could ask Mercedes what the budgetary threshold is? Maybe Nissan will drop from the name and just provide vechiles? :rolleyes:

This detail makes mute all the arugments of this thread that Nissan were stumping up more cash than Mercedes and that name jersey sponsors provide more cash.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:

way to promote sponsors UCI

just some guy said:
way to promote sponsors UCI

It's the right way to do it. Much better for stability. It's to stop teams from having say 5 jersey sponsors making the finances for the 4 year program. If one falls then they all fall. It's better to have 2 strong financial sponsors with long term commitment. Not everything the UCI does it bad.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
It's the right way to do it. Much better for stability. It's to stop teams from having say 5 jersey sponsors making the finances for the 4 year program. If one falls then they all fall. It's better to have 2 strong financial sponsors with long term commitment. Not everything the UCI does it bad.

and having 2 sponsors if one fall they all fall not a great argument.

A team should be able to call itself what it wants in this day and age promote sponsors to the sport.

If one wants to man up and be title sponsor they get the naming writes. simple

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:

You always take tha UCI from behind as soon as they bend over in the way you like it.

just some guy said:
and having 2 sponsors if one fall they all fall not a great argument.

A team should be able to call itself what it wants in this day and age promote sponsors to the sport.

If one wants to man up and be title sponsor they get the naming writes. simple

Well no. If one/two sponsors are providing funding for four years then it's a major commitment. They're hardly going to pull out after one year. If you have 5 sponsors putting in a little bit each then there's not a great incentive for each sponsor to stay on through the duration. ie one sponsor could induce risk for the remaining sponsors or if one falls the team might not be able to meet its commitments in other areas like salaries.

The risk is lessened with two than spreading risk by 5 - surely you studied risk analysis at University?

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Well no. If one/two sponsors are providing funding for four years then it's a major commitment. They're hardly going to pull out after one year. If you have 5 sponsors putting in a little bit each then there's not a great incentive for each sponsor to stay on through the duration. ie one sponsor could induce risk for the remaining sponsors or if one falls the team might not be able to meet its commitments in other areas like salaries.

The risk is lessened with two than spreading risk by 5 - surely you studied risk analysis at University?

Nope - medical field me

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bruyneel traded Levi for Andy, Frank, Fabian, Jens, and a few others.
Seems like a fair trade.
Levi had a great year in 2011.

But if Levi is healthy at the Tours in California, Utah, Colorado, and France next year - the decision to trade him away may come back to haunt Johan.

Calculated risks.
Diversification analysis.
Tough decisions.

Thats why Team Bosses get paid the Big Bucks.

TRENDING THREADS