• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Random Discussion

The threads aim is to ask random questions about sport. This can also be moved into the clinic if mods want.
Watching some highlights from the 2003 Tour I saw that Armstrong was very weak compared to some of his other years ( I mean, Tyler Hamilton with a broken collarbone was almost keeping up with him for half the race ). What was the strongest Lance you would say? I would say 2001 but Hautacam 2000 was a demonstration and 2002 was dominant too.

Another question. What was your favourite season from a rider? I'm not talking about pure statistics here, I'm also talking about the way they rode as well. Vino 2003 for example, or 2005.

Reactions: Red Rick
Maybe 2004? He definitely was the most cannibalistic/greedy that year.
Well, his Alpe time was strong but it was on a MTT instead of a multi mountain stage like 2001. Also he seemed content riding with Basso in Pyrenees which may have made him go slower in Plateau de Beille ( though looking at the climb times I see he was still faster in 2004 than 2002, which maybe tells us that he was not very strong in 2002 on absolute terms, plus he also got beaten by Botero in one of the TTs )
I'd say 2001, because he demolished everyone on Alpe, and was extremely strong for the rest of the race as well with no bad days.
But 2004 could have been even stronger had he gone full.
What is the weakest year of the seven for Armstrong? Probably 2003 I'd say.

1995 Jalabert was amazing. But whatever anyone else did, he just trusted his doctors and never questioned if it was EPO. He was UCI ranked number 1 for the next four years and even when walking out in 1998 couldn't summon the curiosiy to ask his doctor what those injections were.

If you were to ask me who the biggest doper in cycling was, my answer is not Armstrong (he's high on the list)

Last edited:
Middle of the Lance years is when I started watching. Of the years I watched 2004 would be his strongest. 2001 was just before I started watching.

Never thought of a favorite season for a rider. Favorite races sure, but not an overall season.

I can see this thread surviving for a long time here :laughing:

From memory, Lance was stronger in 2002 than 2004. Maybe in 2004 his team was stronger. Azevedo was a beast in the pyrenees. But then again, Heras was an amazing domestique in 2002.

In 2001 Lance was something else entirely. Ullrich was in great shape that year and he took major time on him on every MTF and ITT.

2003 was an abnormal edition for that era. I don't believe that Ullrich was in the same shape as 2001, and as he wasn't riding for T-Mobile I don't think he had as much support, but he gained in confidence with Lance being quite a bit off his A game. AX3-Domaines was very exciting for many of us; for just a moment it looked like a dethroning was about to happen....

But I don't believe in miracles.

I like Sagan 2012 especially his Tour de Suisse and Tour de France. Much preferred watching him duke it out with the climbers than being wasted in entertainment terms riding heavier to compete in the bunch sprints.

Not his most accomplished year overall but a lot of fun.

Watching more from the 2003 Tour highlights, I've come to the conclusion that Vino is amazing.
Armstrong was pretty lucky in Luz Ardiden IMO, the crash gave him a huge adrenaline boost and broke Ullrich's rhythm.

I can see this thread surviving for a long time here :laughing:

From memory, Lance was stronger in 2002 than 2004. Maybe in 2004 his team was stronger. Azevedo was a beast in the pyrenees. But then again, Heras was an amazing domestique in 2002.

In 2001 Lance was something else entirely. Ullrich was in great shape that year and he took major time on him on every MTF and ITT.

2003 was an abnormal edition for that era. I don't believe that Ullrich was in the same shape as 2001, and as he wasn't riding for T-Mobile I don't think he had as much support, but he gained in confidence with Lance being quite a bit off his A game. AX3-Domaines was very exciting for many of us; for just a moment it looked like a dethroning was about to happen....

But I don't believe in miracles.
I agree 2001 Ullrich was stronger than 2003. But IMO he was never as strong as 1997.