• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Random Questions thread

I've always felt that something was missing on this forum. ;)
And that was a thread were users could ask questions about riders/races/teams etc. who don't have their own thread (yet).

As an example, I found this yesterday in the lesser known race results thread:
Geraint Too Fast said:
Slightly off-topic - does anybody know where Andrea Fedi is? He said he'd be racing soon after Laigueglia, but since then I've heard nothing.
My goal is that now we have a thread were we can ask and find answers to our questions about guys like (as seen here) Fedi.
But please don't turn it in yet another Froome vs. Contador discussion thread.

I have a few questions:

Are disc brakes a good thing?
Looking at their careers to date, is Nibali or Valverde the better rider?
If all the major contenders had avoided mishap, who would have won the Tour in 2014?
Was Simon Gerrans the deserved winner of MSR?

Re:

barmaher said:
I have a few questions:

Are disc brakes a good thing?
Looking at their careers to date, is Nibali or Valverde the better rider?
If all the major contenders had avoided mishap, who would have won the Tour in 2014?
Was Simon Gerrans the deserved winner of MSR?
If riders genuinely are hurt by them, no. Everybody will ride with them in 3 years Im sure tho.

Its a non-question for me. Nibali has the slighty better top-end palmarés, but there isn't any doubt who the better rider is for me.

33%, 33%, 33%. I know, lame answer.

I don't think so, no. But good on him for winning.

So, got a couple of very random questions regarding related riders:

Aime De Gendt: is he the younger brother of Thomas, or is 'De Gendt' simply a rather common surname in Belgium?

The "Druyts-clan": Okay, I get that Demmy, Jessy, Kelly, and Jenny are sisters (and teammates) while their brother Gerry is (obviously) on another team. Miquel Druyts, is he related in any way to the rest?

The Kreders: How many are there? Michel and Raymond are brothers, and Wesley is their cousin. However, how does Steffan, Dennis and Sander fit in?

Re:

Brullnux said:
Great question, where is Fedi? He's been absent since a fantastic early season last year. I know he got injured but then he came back and I think he must have gotten injured again.

He did get injured again but I'm unsure on the injury which is why we haven't seen him, he was meant to start racing again at the end of February but that got delayed as he wasn't ready. Hopefully we see him reappear in April.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Does anybody know with absolute certainty that Rigoberto Urán's second surname is in fact also Urán?

It has always baffled me greatly since it is a pretty rare name and thus very unlikely that both his parents should have it..

Without any wish to cast aspersions on his mother's good character...

I worked for a couple of years in Ecuador, where single mothers' first surname would be given as a double surname to the child when the father's name is unknown or kept off the records: quite possible that the same would be done in Colombia, but I don't know so either way.

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
tobydawq said:
Does anybody know with absolute certainty that Rigoberto Urán's second surname is in fact also Urán?

It has always baffled me greatly since it is a pretty rare name and thus very unlikely that both his parents should have it..

I worked for a couple of years in Ecuador, where single mothers' first surname would be given as a double surname to the child when the father's name is unknown or kept off the records: quite possible that the same would be done in Colombia, but I don't know so either way.

Its a little different, with the single mothers the kid gets the two surnames of the mother. But is not the case for Rigoberto, his father was Rigoberto Urán and his mother is Aracelly Urán, his father was absent beyond the 14 years of Rigo because he was killed.
In Antioquia, its pretty common by a cultural stuff, that (especially in little towns) from years the same surnames get repeated and crossed, and the people could be related by blood in a distant way without even knowing, because in the past most of the people never leave the town. So I speculate that is the case with Rigoberto Urán Urán.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
What's wrong with Cannondale ....a serious question .....they have some good riders..

Has Michael Landa abandoned his GC ambitions for this year

If you were a DS at Movistar, Trek, OBE or BMC whatr pkan would you have to try and win the Tour

1. Jonathan Vaughters
2. Just for fun I hope Landa goes banana's at the Giro and leaves Thomas for dead
3. I think the best way to break Sky is do what Orica tried to do a few times at last years Vuelta ad send a whole heap of riders up the road and make Sky really work. Outside of that I have no idea :D

diego721 said:
Armchair cyclist said:
tobydawq said:

Its a little different, with the single mothers the kid gets the two surnames of the mother. But is not the case for Rigoberto, his father was Rigoberto Urán and his mother is Aracelly Urán, his father was absent beyond the 14 years of Rigo because he was killed.
In Antioquia, its pretty common by a cultural stuff, that (especially in little towns) from years the same surnames get repeated and crossed, and the people could be related by blood in a distant way without even knowing, because in the past most of the people never leave the town. So I speculate that is the case with Rigoberto Urán Urán.

Thank you for that very nice piece of information. I can finally rest my scepticism.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
What's the deal with Benedetti?
He's Italian, but from Tirol, which - I guess - also makes him some sort of Austrian, and he's got some kind of connection to Poland.
His wife is Polish, he speaks Polish very well and he has a lot of friends in Poland (pro cyclists, sport journalists, cycling fans).

*** the quick said:
RedheadDane said:
What's the deal with Benedetti?
He's Italian, but from Tirol, which - I guess - also makes him some sort of Austrian, and he's got some kind of connection to Poland.
His wife is Polish, he speaks Polish very well and he has a lot of friends in Poland (pro cyclists, sport journalists, cycling fans).

I had a suspicion it was something like that.

Okay, why is the most popular head-to-head search result from today on PCS the not quite so fabled duel between Hubert Dupont and Laurens Ten Dam???

They both turned 40 last friday, but other than that, I can't see why people would match them against each other.

Everyone knows, Fedtmule was the better rider.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Okay, why is the most popular head-to-head search result from today on PCS the not quite so fabled duel between Hubert Dupont and Laurens Ten Dam???

A maths class at university, the lecturer being a relative of Laurens Ten Dam and choosing him as an example in his "statistics introduction for historians". "Everyone compare Laurens Ten Dam to Hubert Dupont". Or: a very thorough research by the new NTT sponsors, overlooking the signing of the riders... or, even more probable: an avalanche effect: very early in the morning Ten Dam thought: Hey, wonder how I compare to Hubert Dupont." Then he told some of his friends about the results. The friends looked it up. Then it got on the PCS page, that this duel was a thing. And then people saw it and were like "hey, what's up with this, I need to take a look". And that's the result. And of course, now that you mentioned it here, more people like me will look it up and the numbers will continue to rise...

• Haha
Reactions: Ilmaestro99

TRENDING THREADS