• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2014 Tour De France!

Rate the 2014 Tour De France!

• 1 (Crap)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I am tending towards an 8 but I have to agree with Eshnar, great first half but horrible second part so for the moment a 7 for me.

But in comparison to the 2013 or 2012 Tours this one definitely looks much better.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Very pleased to see the cobbles back

And as a Yorkshireman - thrilled !!

Would have loved to have seen the TT in Paris.:)

That would have made it a 10 and not 8

The route reminds me of 2005 and 2010.

Positives:
Good hilly 2nd stage
Cobbles
Vosges
Long ITT on stage 20
It's not that back-loaded

Negatives:
1st stage
Only one ITT
Not a single proper mountain stage

On par with 2005.
Worse than 2006.
Worse than 2007.
Worse than 2008.
Better than 2009.
Slightly worse than 2010.
On par with 2011.
Better than 2012.
Slightly better than 2013.

So it gets a 5 from me.

Ferminal said:
Same as the Giro I guess, five sprints in the first week is a bit much despite the fact the first ten days are probably the most interesting. One of 1, 3, 4, 6, 7 should have been a TT.

Stage 7 has a 1 km hill @ 8% or something like that at 5km from the finish, so not just a regular sprint. At least, according to the Eurosport guy.

Stage 1 is not so bad, people. Will be a bunch sprint, but much more interesting than this year.
Stage 2 is lovely
Stage 3 boring
Stage 4 boring
Stage 5 is lovely
Is there any difficulty on Stages 6 and 7?
Stage 8 and 10 are magnificent.
Stage 9....what is this going to be like? Any chance of interest?
Stage 11 might be okay
Stage 12 I don't know what this is like. Can anyone draw it?
Stage 13..I like the look of the penultimate climb, but the 15km of valley will ruin it.
Stage 14...similar story to the previous stage. Another lovely penultimate climb, but too much valley between the descent and the final ascent.
Stage 15 Will certainly be for sprinters
Stage 16 I like this as an intro to the final mountains. Could be a nice stage.
Stage 17 This is a nice stage, but way too short (unless St18 were to be an epic). I think the racing here will be very interesting
Stage 18 Horrific as a final mountain stage. Needed at least one more mountain and at least 50km more
Stage 19 I don't mind a sprint here. Means they can all go balls out on Hautacam at least
Stage 20 Good time trial, nice length. There should be at least 20km more ITT kilometers
Stage 21 Usual

I give the race 7 out of 10. If the questions above get unfavourable answers, then down to 6. If two of the stage 9,11 and 12 get nice routes, then I am a happy bunny.

TRENDING THREADS