• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the Giro so far

How much do you rate the Giro so far?

• 10 - couldn't be better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How much do you rate the Giro so far out of ten and why?

We are discussing before Saturdays mountain stage.

I give it a 5. It's been quite a unsatisfying race so far, today's tt finally bringing some action into it.

I know that when we hit the real mountains hopefully everything will change. I can't wait for Quintana to smash the mountains in a bid to catch up.

Orbit501 said:
Crashes have spoilt things but I'm still enjoying it and looking forward to the third week.

Losing Purito and Dan Martin especially so early was a major blow.

Yeah, the quality of riders for a grand tour is not great. Besides nairito, uran and evans no one who has gotten a podium on a previous gt can win.

About a 5 so far.

Pretty bland early and everyone is waiting on the big stuff in the last week. At least it's still very winnable for several riders though.

Too many crashes.

ITT was great.

Looking forward to the rest being rather more exciting.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Montecassino stage,montecopiolo,few sprints and last stage were pretty good,but other days pretty boring.Todays TT was a real class tho.
I give it a 6.5 (4 before TT).
I expect something like 7 by the 2.rest day and 9 after Trieste stage if everything will go like we want (attacks,attacks,good weather and attacks:D)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Kittel's finish on stage 2 was pretty impressive. I can't think of any other highlights though. Sadly I had to give it a 2 as I am still watching but would happily give it a 0 if I could. There was more excitement in today's stage in Norway than the entire Giro so far. By far and away the dullest sporting action I have ever witnessed.

Never have i been so disinterested with a Giro before.

I only watched the stage where Evans won time on most people during the first week and after the disappointment that was the Saturday stage i only watched the last few k's of the Sunday stage.

Today was the first day i felt like i was a bit into the race at all :eek:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Eclipse said:
About a 5 so far.

Pretty bland early and everyone is waiting on the big stuff in the last week. At least it's still very winnable for several riders though.

Too many crashes.

ITT was great.

Looking forward to the rest being rather more exciting.

Good first post.Welcome.:)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
Kittel's finish on stage 2 was pretty impressive. I can't think of any other highlights though. Sadly I had to give it a 2 as I am still watching but would happily give it a 0 if I could. There was more excitement in today's stage in Norway than the entire Giro so far. By far and away the dullest sporting action I have ever witnessed.

Parrulo said:
Never have i been so disinterested with a Giro before.

I only watched the stage where Evans won time on most people during the first week and after the disappointment that was the Saturday stage i only watched the last few k's of the Sunday stage.

Today was the first day i felt like i was a bit into the race at all :eek:

Whinning and overreacting,great personal characteristics.;)

May 28, 2012
Visit site
It's better than last year around this time into the race, but that's about it. 4-5 max.

Pozzovivo's attack on Sunday was promising though, and the TT was awesome.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Whinning and overreacting,great personal characteristics.;)

I'm not normally one to whine at all but there hasn't been a single decent stage so far unless you are entertained by crashes. The Montecoppolio stage was the only one I could even rate as okish. GC action away from the time trials and crashes has amounted to one incident (Pozzo's attack) in 12 days of racing.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
I'm not normally one to whine at all but there hasn't been a single decent stage so far unless you are entertained by crashes. The Montecoppolio stage was the only one I could even rate as okish. GC action away from the time trials and crashes has amounted to one incident (Pozzo's attack) in 12 days of racing.

I think that both tt's were entertaining,Kittel wins from distance and Weening win was something special too,the stage Mick won was decent too imo,some kind of madness:)
Of course I hate stages with crashes,and tomorrow won't be an exception:(

With the proviso that this is the first Giro I've ever watched closely, I voted 7. I thought the stages in Northern Ireland and Ireland were beautiful, and I've really enjoyed seeing Bouhanni's sprinting prowess (mad though he may possibly be, that one picture of him within a few centimeters of the barriers was crazy!).

Today's time trial was very exciting, I thought, especially with a few revelations for me among younger riders. In short, I've been greatly enjoying the race and look forward to the bigger mountain stages.

Proviso the second: I'm also enjoying the Tour of Norway! Maybe I'm just easily entertained!

Pentacycle said:
It's better than last year around this time into the race, but that's about it. 4-5 max.

Pozzovivo's attack on Sunday was promising though, and the TT was awesome.

Whaaaaaaaat? :eek:

Just compare the stages for crying out loud!

The TT's even themselves out, but last year we had a better MTF and more hilly stages with action.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I have really enjoyed it so far and given it an 8. Loved the start in Ireland and todays Time Trial was brill.

This race is wide open IMO which is absolutely not what I expected.:)

Gave it a 4...I've seen better starts to GT's. As has been said the crashes have been a big bummer. Purito crashing out was annoying to say the least. For me there were a couple of highlights: Orica winning the tt, yesterday was pretty nice as well. Not to many good things I can think of though. It's been pretty underwhelming. Definitely can't wait for the final week, and I hope to see lots of aggressive climbing.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Last year's race in the circumstances with weather was a pretty decent edition.

This year is a snoozefest and I'm waking up everyday this week not even looking forward to the racing. Utter dross.

Looking at the route beforehand I braced myself for this possibility up to this point in the race.

Nevertheless, still disappointing to watch.

I gave it a 2 but toyed heavily with giving it a 1.

Commentators are earning their coin this year.

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah its been pretty darn crap so far. Though i dont think Purito would have done much yet, hes hardly known for daring long range attacks, and Italy the last 2 years seems to be having poor weather whenever cycling is on there. Whats up with that huh.

Fight.The.Power said:
It looks like an uphill finish in the official programme? Is this true?
Not really, only a bit (which won't have any effect):
ukm_13.jpg

TRENDING THREADS