• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Reasons to / not to dope

May 27, 2012
Visit site
439327d1364904637-head-caved-stone-drugs-20are-20bad-20mkay.gif

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
To be cool. I mean Wiggans pre-sideburns was uncool, he grew some sideburns becomes cool and wins boatloads of races.

maybe they increased his aero by deflecting the wind around his ears more efficiently.

Not to dope:
Difficulty of finding right program.
Finding a doctor that will help
Trusting grey/black market drugs
Trusting non doctors to help and not kill you.

To dope:
Availability
Information of how to do it is easy to find
easy to beat the system
Culture made it acceptable
Society less judgemental

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
How about taking dope and spending all that cash yet still not talented enough to win or even to keep up? Doping does not make everyone a star only appear better than they are. So a cat 4 can race cat 2. That ought to garner a lot of notoriety. Anyone who is made famous from doping is already a better rider than 99% of the rest of us. I would go so far to say that no pro rider can stay a pro if they cannot also survive clean. Maybe another way to put it is you need to be talented enough to keep up in a pro race and handle the distance clean or doping won't help make you a star but it might get you a job you can't keep.
Then there is the cost. You need a top level pro contract to afford it.
It is only the really expensive stuff that is even remotely undetectable.
I have one question for the clinic regulars is who is paying for Jonny domestique's drugs? You think Ferrari gives a discount to domestiques? Even on USPS the real dopers were the tour team and the $400+k salaried riders who could afford the drugs. It isn't like the drugs for postal bikes thing was paying 7 years of it.

TRENDING THREADS