• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Recipes

A

Anonymous

I love to cook. I guess it comes from the decade of my 20's where I worked in restaurants and traveled. I cooked a lot of food and ate in places all over the country and world. What are some of your favorite recipes. Now, I know it will be hard for a group of mostly guys to post something so seemingly un-manly, but the fact is that good food is one of the great pleasures in life. I will start:

Cheddar-Dill Scones
4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
4 extra-large eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup cold heavy cream
1/2 pound extra-sharp yellow Cheddar, small-diced
1 cup minced fresh dill
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water or milk, for egg wash

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine 4 cups of flour, the baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Mix the eggs and heavy cream and quickly add them to the flour-and-butter mixture. Combine until just blended. Toss together the Cheddar, dill, and 1 tablespoon of flour and add them to the dough. Mix until they are almost incorporated.

Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it for 1 minute, until the Cheddar and dill are well distributed. Roll the dough 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 4-inch squares and then in half diagonally to make triangles. Brush the tops with egg wash. Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outside is crusty and the inside is fully baked.

Reactions: sevenall
Roast Guinea Fowl with Herbs and Prosciutto with Pear Sauce.

1 guinea fowl
olive oil
fresh rosemary, sage and thyme
nutmeg
several slices of Parma Prosciutto
salt and pepper

For the Pear Sauce:
2 tbs butter
2 Abbott Pears
1 Leek
2 Shallots
tsp of dijon mustard
brandy
1 bay leaf
nutmeg
salt and pepper
chicken broth (preferably homemade)

Place the guinea fowl in a roasting pan and drizzle some olive oil over it. Season with salt and pepper, nutmeg and the chopped herbs. Place in a preheated 200° c or 500° f oven for 40 minutes, then turn oven down to 150° c - 300° f and roast another 45 minutes (till the skin is golden brown). Cover with prosciutto slices and cook at high heat for several minutes until crispy.

While the guinea fowl is roasting, prepare the pear sauce. Rough chop the white of the leek and then the shallots. Over low heat in a good saute pan melt the butter, then add the leeks and cook for a minute, followed by the shallots and cook till wilted. In the meantime rough chop the cleaned pears, add to the leek and shallots and season with salt, pepper, a little nutmeg and the bay leaf. Continue to saute until the pears soften. Turn the flame up and add some brandy (don't let the flames burn your face).
When the brandy has evaporated, add enough chicken stock to cover and the tsp of dijon mustard. Cook slowly for 20 minutes. When done take out the bay leaf (this is important) and puree with a hand held blender.

To serve: Place a piece of guinea fowl (thigh-leg or breast-wing) on plate, cover with a piece of crispy prosciutto and spoon some sauce around.

* Excellent with pan seared potatoes in olive oil or mashed potatoes.

A

Anonymous

rhubroma said:
Roast Guinea Fowl with Herbs and Prosciutto with Pear Sauce.

1 guinea fowl
olive oil
fresh rosemary, sage and thyme
nutmeg
several slices of Parma Prosciutto
salt and pepper

For the Pear Sauce:
2 tbs butter
2 Abbott Pears
1 Leek
2 Shallots
tsp of dijon mustard
brandy
1 bay leaf
nutmeg
salt and pepper
chicken broth (preferably homemade)

Place the guinea fowl in a roasting pan and drizzle some olive oil over it. Season with salt and pepper, nutmeg and the chopped herbs. Place in a preheated 200° c or 500° f oven for 40 minutes, then turn oven down to 150° c - 300° f and roast another 45 minutes (till the skin is golden brown). Cover with prosciutto slices and cook at high heat for several minutes until crispy.

While the guinea fowl is roasting, prepare the pear sauce. Rough chop the white of the leek and then the shallots. Over low heat in a good saute pan melt the butter, then add the leeks and cook for a minute, followed by the shallots and cook till wilted. In the meantime rough chop the cleaned pears, add to the leek and shallots and season with salt, pepper, a little nutmeg and the bay leaf. Continue to saute until the pears soften. Turn the flame up and add some brandy (don't let the flames burn your face).
When the brandy has evaporated, add enough chicken stock to cover and the tsp of dijon mustard. Cook slowly for 20 minutes. When done take out the bay leaf (this is important) and puree with a hand held blender.

To serve: Place a piece of guinea fowl (thigh-leg or breast-wing) on plate, cover with a piece of crispy prosciutto and spoon some sauce around.

* Excellent with pan seared potatoes in olive oil or mashed potatoes.

Wow, that is what I am talking about! And I have rosemary, sage, and thyme in my garden, and I make my own chicken broth. I will have to search for the Parma, but I have an idea of where I might get some if there is any to be gotten here.

Thoughtforfood said:
I love to cook. I guess it comes from the decade of my 20's where I worked in restaurants and traveled. I cooked a lot of food and ate in places all over the country and world. What are some of your favorite recipes. Now, I know it will be hard for a group of mostly guys to post something so seemingly un-manly, but the fact is that good food is one of the great pleasures in life. I will start:

Cheddar-Dill Scones
4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
4 extra-large eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup cold heavy cream
1/2 pound extra-sharp yellow Cheddar, small-diced
1 cup minced fresh dill
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water or milk, for egg wash

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine 4 cups of flour, the baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Mix the eggs and heavy cream and quickly add them to the flour-and-butter mixture. Combine until just blended. Toss together the Cheddar, dill, and 1 tablespoon of flour and add them to the dough. Mix until they are almost incorporated.

Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it for 1 minute, until the Cheddar and dill are well distributed. Roll the dough 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 4-inch squares and then in half diagonally to make triangles. Brush the tops with egg wash. Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outside is crusty and the inside is fully baked.

Hey TFF, I think there are a lot of manly and cool guys posting excellent food photos and menus in cuisine corner! You can't beat Krebs' photos....mouthwatering.
I guess this thread is the place where the secret recipes of the killer pix & etc can show up.

Thanx, now I can figure out what to have for dinner when I'm in a quandary!
:)

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Crab Cakes

CRAB CAKES...
1/2 c Red/Yellow Peppers
1/2 c. Panko Breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 tsp. Worcheshire Sauce
1 tsp. Hot Sauce
1 Egg
1/4 c. Mayo
2 tbsp. Diced Jalepenos
6 Scallions
1 lb. Lump Crab Meat
Combine all ingredients except crabmeat until thoroughly blended...fold in crabmeat. Form into large palm size balls and refrigerate for 20 min then bake @ 375 for 17ish min.
You could also make small patties and brown both sides in a frying pan. Then you would bake afterwards for 10 min.
Reduce or increase jalepenos for "hot" factor to your liking.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
North Carolina BBQ pulled pork

Very unique pulled pork....

NC BAR-B-QUE...
1 Pork Roast
1 gal. Apple Juice
1 c. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp. Salt
1/2 tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1 tbsp. Brown Sugar
Cook pork in crock pot with apple juice on low for 8 hrs.
Combine remaining ingredients in bowl and let stand while pork is cooking...shred pork and pour sauce mixture over meat!!

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Cream Puffs!

My grandmother's recipe....
CREAM PUFFS
For Puffs...
1 c. Water
1/2 c. Butter
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 c. Sifted Cake Flour
5 Eggs
For the Creamy Cream...
2 Boxes Vanilla Pudding
2 c. Milk
1 8oz Cool Whip
Bring water and butter to boil. Once water mixture boils, mix in salt and flour. Stir until the flour can be formed into a ball then cool 5 min. Beat in eggs one at a time. Spoon dough into cupcake pan...about 1/4 - 1/3 full. Bake @ 450' for 20 min, turn down to 300' for 20 min then cut oven off. Cut a small hole in top then place back in the lingering warmth of the oven for approx 45 min.
While puffs are drying out in the oven...combine pudding, milk, and cool whip until smooth.
Spoon cream into puffs.

GET FAT!!!!

A

Anonymous

JeffreyPerry said:
Very unique pulled pork....

NC BAR-B-QUE...
1 Pork Roast
1 gal. Apple Juice
1 c. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp. Salt
1/2 tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1 tbsp. Brown Sugar
Cook pork in crock pot with apple juice on low for 8 hrs.
Combine remaining ingredients in bowl and let stand while pork is cooking...shred pork and pour sauce mixture over meat!!

Being from NC, the only way I will cook pork shoulder (or roast) is rubbed with mustard (it forms a bark with no left over mustard taste) at 200-210 degrees F indirectly with hickory blocks for the smoke for 4-8 hours depending on the weight of the meat. I might put some vinegar and hot pepper on it if I feel like it, but most of the time just eat the meat as cooked. I am a NC purist.

Not trying to diss your recipes, because I will definitely try the crab cake one this week. Its just that, with pork, I rarely divert from the old standard.

Keep 'em coming though!

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
NC

My wife is from Eastern NC and I was stationed there for quite along time. I fell in love with bbq that way...put it on a bun with some slaw....its definitely good. The Crab cake one takes some practice and care to keep them together. But even when they don't look pretty they taste dang good. Unless you like em spicy, be careful with the jalepenos.:D

Thoughtforfood said:
Wow, that is what I am talking about! And I have rosemary, sage, and thyme in my garden, and I make my own chicken broth. I will have to search for the Parma, but I have an idea of where I might get some if there is any to be gotten here.

I don't know where you live, however, if near a big city in the US you shouldn't have much of a problem finding Parma Prosciutto. It was banned by the FDA till like the 90's I think, because somehow they though it wasn't hygienic (when of course the process of salt curing, which has been done since the ancient Roman period, was a way for the ancients to preserve meat without the fridge: in point of fact, the layer of pork fat used in the process prevents O2 from penetrating, while the salt "cooks" the meat and kills all bacteria).

In any case, if you come across it try a brand called San Daniele (from the Veneto region) or some Spanish Pata Negra, which is pretty kick a$$. There are, in reality, an infinite type of regional prosciuttos.

PS: If the guinea fowl is impossible to get, substitute with a good free-range chicken. It won't be as good, but close enough. And, as far as the oven temps go, what's important is to cook at high heat first to seal in the juices, then low heat to achieve a uniform golden brown color. Play with it a bit so that it works best for you.

Bumping this thread because I need a new appetizer idea for this Sunday.
We are going old school for the bbq - burgers and hotdogs on the grill, potato salad, baked beans and green leafy salad.
I need to bring 2 things - one of which will the fruit skewers (using pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, mango and purple grapes served on a platter with seedless watermelon wedges).
I need one more dish - preferably fun and different but easy for everyone to pick at.
There will probably be around 50 people.

Any ideas!

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Ceviche in a white port:

- cure some freah, raw chopped shrimp and/or thinly sliced large (must be fresh and large to get the texture and oiliness) scallops by marinating in lime juice overnight in the fridge

- before serving, drain the lime juice and add lots of diced tomatoes and minced onion

- add a splash or three of white port (optional) and season with salt, pepper, and fresh cilantro.

- serve with crostini, crackers, tortillas, etc

TRENDING THREADS