Recreational Drugs

I don't mean recreational drugs that also improve performance... like coke or caffeine....I mean marijuana I suppose.
Personally, I would rather that WADA take stuff like that off the banned list.

It might encourage Jamaica to be a bit more rigorous with their anti-doping procedures.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
armchairclimber said:
I don't mean recreational drugs that also improve performance... like coke or caffeine....I mean marijuana I suppose.
Personally, I would rather that WADA take stuff like that off the banned list.

It might encourage Jamaica to be a bit more rigorous with their anti-doping procedures.
Mrijuana is only banned 'in competition', and even then:
WADA recently amended its rules on cannabis, raising the threshold for a positive test from 15 nanograms per milliliter to 150 ng/ml.
It basically means your not off your head during competition.
 
Jul 15, 2013
60
0
0
how many instances are there of cyclists being positive for recreational drugs? and further, why do they make up the majority of positives in football, compared to other sports?
 
May 2, 2010
1,692
0
0
mudbone said:
how many instances are there of cyclists being positive for recreational drugs? and further, why do they make up the majority of positives in football, compared to other sports?
Because instead of testing for PEDs, a lot of sports test for recreational drugs. That way they don't have a doping problem, but may encounter a recreational drug problem. Having said that, you'd need to pretty unlucky/stupid to get busted for recreational drugs.
 
Apr 3, 2011
2,301
0
0
thrawn said:
Because instead of testing for PEDs, a lot of sports test for recreational drugs. That way they don't have a doping problem, but may encounter a recreational drug problem. Having said that, you'd need to pretty unlucky/stupid to get busted for recreational drugs.
like "ecstatic" Kaiser
 
Aug 7, 2010
1,247
0
0
mudbone said:
how many instances are there of cyclists being positive for recreational drugs? and further, why do they make up the majority of positives in football, compared to other sports?
Besides Boonen and Ullrich?
 
they test for recreational drugs in Aussie Rules Football, but have a three strikes system. Not even the club or club doctor are informed. its a major bone of contention, especially after the fairest and best player and premiership captain Ben Cousins admitted to being a speed and coke addict, and Essendon Football Club now embroiled in a supplements scandal.

anyway my two cents is if the recreational drug is on the prohibited list you are done, otherwise it should never be tested for and certainly not made public. the questio is why are certain drugs on the probited list.
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
mudbone said:
how many instances are there of cyclists being positive for recreational drugs? and further, why do they make up the majority of positives in football, compared to other sports?
Tommeke. Boonen loved to do lines of coke off of 16 year old Belgian school girls. Well that's what I heard anyhow.

Football...FIFA controls when teams are tested. Easier to test for pot and cocaine than actually PEDs. Hence that is what they mostly test for. Lots of partying in pro sports, hence lots of positives for recreational drugs.

A very well known Aussie footballer (League and Union player) Wendell Sailor was popped for cocaine or was it ecstasy years back...he copped a 2 year ban and had lots of people bag him out. If only they knew what really goes on, that would have been the least of their concerns.

So recreational drugs are cheaper to test for and give you a shorter ban if your sport is run tightly, aka a union protects players. Not in the interests of officials to test for the hard PEDs that determine who is and who isn't competitive, especially as far as FIFA is concerned.
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
sittingbison said:
they test for recreational drugs in Aussie Rules Football, but have a three strikes system. Not even the club or club doctor are informed. its a major bone of contention, especially after the fairest and best player and premiership captain Ben Cousins admitted to being a speed and coke addict, and Essendon Football Club now embroiled in a supplements scandal.

anyway my two cents is if the recreational drug is on the prohibited list you are done, otherwise it should never be tested for and certainly not made public. the questio is why are certain drugs on the probited list.
I want to know what the hell players are doing in Vegas. So many young people heading over to Vegas to 'party.' Especially AFL players. Every year, one gets revived in a hospital because they 'partied' too hard. This year one jumped off a building or fell...which was just a matter of time.

If they'd have dealt with the Ben Cousins drama this crap would and could have been stamped out. Now it's embedded in the AFL. Very deeply rooted. Lots of people with major drug addictions, PED and recreational. Not good at all. IMO Demetriou should be taken out and shot in the head publicly. That would send a message this crap isn't tolerated.

AFL won't do a darn thing. ASADA needs to b1tch slap the whole lot of them. All the football teams. Tear them to shreds and humiliate the entire football code if needs be. Don't think the NRL isn't the same. It's just as bad.
 
Jun 25, 2013
1,442
0
0
sittingbison said:
they test for recreational drugs in Aussie Rules Football, but have a three strikes system. Not even the club or club doctor are informed. its a major bone of contention, especially after the fairest and best player and premiership captain Ben Cousins admitted to being a speed and coke addict, and Essendon Football Club now embroiled in a supplements scandal.

anyway my two cents is if the recreational drug is on the prohibited list you are done, otherwise it should never be tested for and certainly not made public. the questio is why are certain drugs on the probited list.
3 strikes system in the AFL yet for league and union you get pinged straight away. I've often thought the AFL were softer on drugs.
 
May 2, 2010
1,692
0
0
Galic Ho said:
Tommeke. Boonen loved to do lines of coke off of 16 year old Belgian school girls. Well that's what I heard anyhow.

Football...FIFA controls when teams are tested. Easier to test for pot and cocaine than actually PEDs. Hence that is what they mostly test for. Lots of partying in pro sports, hence lots of positives for recreational drugs.

A very well known Aussie footballer (League and Union player) Wendell Sailor was popped for cocaine or was it ecstasy years back...he copped a 2 year ban and had lots of people bag him out. If only they knew what really goes on, that would have been the least of their concerns.

So recreational drugs are cheaper to test for and give you a shorter ban if your sport is run tightly, aka a union protects players. Not in the interests of officials to test for the hard PEDs that determine who is and who isn't competitive, especially as far as FIFA is concerned.
Don't forget Andrew Johns. Went through his whole career taking party drugs (ecstasy & speed mainly). All of Newcastle under the age of 25 knew he was on it a lot of the time. Never tested positive. Also in league, one (or was it two) of his former Newcastle team mates got done for dealing recreational drugs and ended up in prison.
 
Aug 18, 2012
1,171
0
0
armchairclimber said:
I don't think Bolt is doping....he doesn't need to. I don't think that all Brit T&F athletes are clean either (although I think the vast majority are).
I thought you said Tyson Gay was as clean as it gets?
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
thrawn said:
Don't forget Andrew Johns. Went through his whole career taking party drugs (ecstasy & speed mainly). All of Newcastle under the age of 25 knew he was on it a lot of the time. Never tested positive. Also in league, one (or was it two) of his former Newcastle team mates got done for dealing recreational drugs and ended up in prison.
Oh I know. People only needed to head out in Newie to see what the Johns brothers were really like. He's still the same. His fluff piece on Channel 9 with Phil Gould was pathetically staged.

I was going to mention Johns, but the whole family is yuck!

Adam McDougall, former Newie winger, use to slap his quads before games, had massive legs...I heard testers came to the field for him. Did a runner on them. Literally.

As for teams doping in the NRL. Two big names I heard. Sharks and Titans. Were good...suddenly went horribly. I wonder why?

The NRL is full of lots of women beating, drug taking, neanderthals so jacked up on roids, testo and HGH it isn't funny. Worst team by far? Depends who you ask. Personally, I'd say Manly. But that is just my two cents.

The talk about what Todd Carney got up to in Canberra is supposedly very rich. The fans knew what was being kept out of the papers. Made the bad stuff he did that was reported seem tame. They're a protected species.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY