• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Replacement for Selle Italia Turbomatic3

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
All,

I have worn through my second Selle Italia Turbomatic 3 (leather detaching around the nose, both sides.) The 2nd one was hard enough to find, and given both lasted ~8-10K miles, I'm looking for something which has a similar profile, feel, etc., which will last longer.

If you are a former user of this saddle, what have you found to be a comfortable replacement?

Thanks,
Tim

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey I have two used ones for sale! Cheap! Well Turbomatic 4's, one's beatup the other is nicer but both are definitely used if you're still in need of a Turbomatic. PM for more info if you want them.

I currently use the Specialized Toupe but its not perfect or ideal, I'm still looking for THEE replacement for the Turbomatic as well, no dice yet. Sticking with the Toupe for now but definitely on the market.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Given that I have worn through a pair already, I'm interested in a more durable saddle that makes a similar, uh, impression ;)

I previously used Vetta Tri-Shocks, which I have one on my MTB and another on my CX bike, but they moved off my road bike because they got worn and torn in the first place. These two bikes get far less usage.

Anyone?

Tim

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
No doubt. I went from a few years of different Turbomatics to a San Marco Rolls, which was way nicer saddle, but a bit thicker than the Turbos. Decided I didn't need all that much padding, and now I'm on my sixth and seventh Regals on two different bikes. Perfect saddle for bigger guys. 6'2" 175.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
No doubt. I went from a few years of different Turbomatics to a San Marco Rolls, which was way nicer saddle, but a bit thicker than the Turbos. Decided I didn't need all that much padding, and now I'm on my sixth and seventh Regals on two different bikes. Perfect saddle for bigger guys. 6'2" 175.

I use a Regal too. I am not as big as you but the saddle works for me. Maybe I have wide sit bones.

These old school saddles have been around so long because they work well. I thought I read somewhere that the Regal is still San Marco's best selling saddle. I think a lot of people probably dismiss them because they are heavier than the newer stuff, which often seems to be made for how they look rather than well they work. I have not been able to find one of the new tiny, lightweight saddles that are anywhere near as comfortable over five to seven hours as a Regal.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:

How many miles do you get out of a Regal? That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for durability. At 6'3", 200 pounds, and especially now that I'm not racing, I'm going take a strong preference for durability and comfort over weight. As I grow older and wear out more things I become more and more disenchanted with the cheap-initial-cost to sell stuff which invariably is coupled with cheap-materials-and-workmanship which means stuff does not last. A one-time PremIere clothing manufacturer used to make stuff that lasted. Now it's all crap :(

Tim

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
bikehikeskifish said:
How many miles do you get out of a Regal? That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for durability. At 6'3", 200 pounds, and especially now that I'm not racing, I'm going take a strong preference for durability and comfort over weight. As I grow older and wear out more things I become more and more disenchanted with the cheap-initial-cost to sell stuff which invariably is coupled with cheap-materials-and-workmanship which means stuff does not last. A one-time PremIere clothing manufacturer used to make stuff that lasted. Now it's all crap :(

Tim

My ringing endorsement for durability is the fact that the very Regal I'm using everyday is 8 years old this season. At an average of 3,000 miles per year, that's 24,000 miles on that saddle and still going. I've had so many over the years because of bikes built up and sold. The three that are in my possession now are two black ones with Ti rails from 2001, one on my everyday bike and one on the race bike, and a Ltd. edition perforated Yellow with steel rails that's sitting in a box waiting for a worthy bike.

Since the Regals and Rolls come in a few different coverings, you're going to want to stick with the plain smooth black or white leather for max durability. They make a couple different textured leather ones that will literally eat your shorts and look like crap after a season. The one I mentioned that I'm riding everyday now, the black has worn off down to the natural leather color from the legs moving, but is still smooth and utterly rideable. I'm leaving for a 4 hour gravel ride on it in about an hour from now. It's not all crap, you've just got to try many different saddles over many years to get it right.

Good luck.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
bikehikeskifish said:

Tim

My ringing endorsement for durability is the fact that the very Regal I'm using everyday is 8 years old this season. At an average of 3,000 miles per year, that's 24,000 miles on that saddle and still going. I've had so many over the years because of bikes built up and sold. The three that are in my possession now are two black ones with Ti rails from 2001, one on my everyday bike and one on the race bike, and a Ltd. edition perforated Yellow with steel rails that's sitting in a box waiting for a worthy bike.

Since the Regals and Rolls come in a few different coverings, you're going to want to stick with the plain smooth black or white leather for max durability. They make a couple different textured leather ones that will literally eat your shorts and look like crap after a season. The one I mentioned that I'm riding everyday now, the black has worn off down to the natural leather color up by the nose from the legs moving, but is still smooth and utterly rideable. I'm leaving for a 4 hour gravel ride on it in about an hour from now. It's not all crap, you've just got to try many different saddles over many years to get it right.

Good luck.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
bikehikeskifish said:
And when I find a new one I like, they'll stop making that one too :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback...

Tim

Dude, find a saddle you like and buy 2 or more. If for some reason in the future you don't need it, you'll sell it for more than you paid because you'll find another desperate person looking for the very discontinued saddle you're selling.

I wish I had bought some spare Campy SR parts in the 80's :) They're selling for ridiculous amount now.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
After two weeks or so of riding on the Regal, I'm rather happy with it. Thanks for the tips, and I'll be getting a backup one at some point.

Anyone have anything they put on the leather to extend its life?

Tim

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
bikehikeskifish said:
After two weeks or so of riding on the Regal, I'm rather happy with it. Thanks for the tips, and I'll be getting a backup one at some point.

Anyone have anything they put on the leather to extend its life?

Tim

I wouldn't use anything that would rub off on your shorts or transfer to your skin, especially that area! :eek:

I think just cleaning it regularly and drying it is the best you can do and don't leave your bike out in the sun for extended periods. Clean it with a damp cloth not soaking, some soap, possibly a leather soap (I think its called saddle soap?).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Here it is, two+ years and maybe 5000 miles later and... the saddle has worn a hole in the leather alongside the nose. Obviously I am tough on saddles and wear them out well before average.

Anyone have any other suggestions on something that will last longer? Possibly with a plastic nose?

Tim

May 23, 2011
Visit site
My current Regal lasted about 30K miles before starting to wear through at the sides of nose. I have tape wrapped around the nose. Makes the bike look mean. :)

Riding in rain greatly increases wear. Grit sticks to inside of your thighs and abrades the leather like sandpaper.

People used to use lycra saddle covers to protect their saddles. I do not think they are made anymore. At least I have not seen them forever. I guess the extra five grams was too much for modern riders.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't ride in the rain much, but I do sweat a lot which has the same net effect. I understand that things wear out, but I am not happy with 5K miles out of a saddle :( At the first tiny hole, I immediately covered it with duct tape, but that won't last forever.

I can't imagine being comfortable on a carbon fiber saddle, but I guess I can consider it.

I do seem to recall some saddles with plastic lips around the nose, which would take the brunt of the abrasion and increase the saddle's life time.

Tim

I re-cover my favourite old Turbos myself, usually with vinyl, coz I reckon it lasts longer and handles the wet better. I'm still using saddles that I've had for nearly 20 years. Covering a saddle is probably easier than you'd think. You could obviously pay someone to do it, but the one quote I got was almost as much as a new saddle (50 bucks).

TRENDING THREADS