• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Response to cn article 'Training: Get a post-ride plan'

Dec 17, 2010
www.yoga78.fr
This is an open letter response to Jonathan Leeder's article on cyclingnews.com entitled 'Training: Get a post-ride plan'

Dear Jonathan,

I found your article contained several strong points (warm down, 4:1 ratio recovery drinks, rehydration equation, compression and focussed rest time) that made it applicable to the general cyclist - but I also found some of the nutritional content could have used extra explanation and amendment to avoid confusing the average cyclist and sports person.

The section entitled 'Refuel' gives excellent advice and then goes on to contradict itself with two very bad examples;

Example 1: Fizzy pop.
Fizzy pop (ie. soda, soft drink) contains distilled carbonated water, refined sugara, sodium and acids amongst others.
Presenting the case of a much-admired athlete to a legion of impressionable non-elite athletes does a lot of harm because at the end of a ride or training session it is easy to overlook correct refuelling, taking the easy option and saying 'If David can do it then I can'. As well, cautioning against drinking too much in one go should be cautioning against drinking fizzy pop at all.
- A followup presenting the legion of 4:1 carbohydrate and protein drinks and smoothie recipes available today to fill post-workout refuelling needs would be more appropriate for the modern day sportsperson.

Example 2: Low fat chocolate flavoured milk.
Milk undergoes extreme processing to become 'low fat' - it is not related to cattle pasture or cattle feeding to reduce fat content (ie summer pasture versus winter feeding of silage and baled feed) as some may think. The usable carbohydrate and protein content of flavoured milk is negligible.
- A better substitute are drinks and smoothies using almond, banana, honey, raw chocolate powder (if a chocolate taste is a must) and first-press oils. These are all readily available and are strongly advocated by Dave Scott, 7-time world ironman champion.

Jonathan, I really want to highlight the strengths in your article (noted at the start of the letter) but would also like to point out that the elite level athletes you work with benefit more from their comfort foods (favourite fizzy drink, chocolate milk) at the end of a session/race than the average cyclist and sports person because of the physcolgical relief and release these comfort foods bring them.
- Repeating intense exercise and programs day after day leads the mind to seek relief and release in small things, and food is generally number 1 on the list.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Debatable on both the points raised in the letter with the only reference as to the validity being another athlete, of which the author has already stated that athletes' examples should not always be followed.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
He also said something about enough sleep, that the hours before midnight count double(or was that the other article? )
Well he's wrong about that.
It's the first 4 hours of one's sleep that are the most important and 'count double'. I've read this in one of my mom's medical magazines(De Artsenkrant - a belgian newspaper for GP's and doctors in common.) I don't really remember why it was but I do remember that :)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I dice a bunch of bananas weekly and place them on a cookie sheet in the freezer. After an hour or 90 minutes I transfer the frozen fruit into a plastic bag or container for use during the week. I make smoothies using the frozen chunks and add milk and yogurt as needed. I find it to be better than lowfat,non fat choclate milk. Also you can add nuts,chocolate and other fruits to mix things up. I throw in a half cup of oat meal sometimes and it tastes pretty good.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The best post ride plan is go home have a galss of milk and go to bed for 2 hours .
its a proven method. but go to bed by yourself.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
The best post ride plan is go home have a galss of milk and go to bed for 2 hours .
its a proven method. but go to bed by yourself.

Yes, I've seen the same, a post ride nap is an excellent aid to recovery. All to do with hormone response whilst sleeping.