• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco temporary suspension announced

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
CAN the Italians please find the courage to make this a permanent suspension !
Already they are acting to prohibit from their National Events those suspect racers so please MORE BACKBONE and firm action to safeguard your honour !

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
skippy said:
Already they are acting to prohibit from their National Events those suspect racers so please MORE BACKBONE and firm action to safeguard your honour !

Ricco must be regretting that having already reproduced, he's now ineligible to win the Darwin Award despite what looks like his determination for a future nomination.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
They have suspended him for "his own safety", hopefully this will mean they will actually help the guy and take him to therapy.

skippy said:

I think they made the right decision to be honest, I think he probably does have something wrong in his head. It looks likely that he botched his own transfusion which shows some desperation.

Still - proper due process. Everybody does have the right to a fair trial.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
This sets a bad precedent. It is not the same as the 50% haematocrit rule in which there was a clear objective criteria for instigating a ban. Ricco's ban subjective and unfair.

Matty_Tucks said:
I think they made the right decision to be honest, I think he probably does have something wrong in his head. It looks likely that he botched his own transfusion which shows some desperation.

Still - proper due process. Everybody does have the right to a fair trial.
Riccò didn't invent botched transfusions. I'm pretty sure everything he did and the way he did it is standard practice.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
euanli said:
They have suspended him for "his own safety", hopefully this will mean they will actually help the guy and take him to therapy.

I also think that he needs therapy but he shouldn't return to racing.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
riobonito92 said:
This sets a bad precedent. It is not the same as the 50% haematocrit rule in which there was a clear objective criteria for instigating a ban. Ricco's ban subjective and unfair.

Exactly. On what grounds are they suspending him and why now? The timing hints at publicatory motives on part of the Italian Cycling Federation, which is sickening.

Whatever landed Ricco in the hospital needs to be investigated. Until then, free to ride as far as I care. If proven guilty a lifetime ban does seem apropriate. The line between suspect and guilty is waaaaay to vague in modern cycling, for which the motives are various but never in the interest of the sport or the rider. :(

May 6, 2009
Visit site
You would have to think they have come across more information to suspend him. I dare say there is a lot more to the story then what gets published.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Carabo said:
Exactly. On what grounds are they suspending him and why now? The timing hints at publicatory motives on part of the Italian Cycling Federation, which is sickening.

Whatever landed Ricco in the hospital needs to be investigated. Until then, free to ride as far as I care. If proven guilty a lifetime ban does seem apropriate. The line between suspect and guilty is waaaaay to vague in modern cycling, for which the motives are various but never in the interest of the sport or the rider. :(

Read the story: Torri was set to request an immediate precautionary suspension for Riccò if evidence of a transfusion was confirmed. This is that precautionary suspension.

Further, "the doctor in Pavullo confirmed his version of events to investigators and said that Riccò was fully conscious at the time of the alleged confession".

"Riccò was requested to appear before the Modena public prosecutor Pasquale Mazzei on Monday and again yesterday, but on each occasion the rider refused to present himself."

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually MORE is here right NOW

laziali said:
Yup. More to come this Friday

(we must have beed replying at exactly the same time.... )

That's right boys and girls! Just read the article right here on CN, in particular the last three paragraphs where we are told:

1) the Dr who was at the hospital when the Cobra had his kidney problems confirmed that Ricci admitted the transfusion with old blood.
2) Dopey boy was summoned to court twice and did not come
3) The investigation into the medical and scientific facts of the case has been delayed by the death of (the guy doing it) but will continue.

Sounds like they got their ducks in a row and were forced to suspend the little snot because he thought he could bluff his way back into the pro ranks.

btw: let's no be bashing the Italians for being Italians. Italian geniuses which come to mind include Galileo, Marconi, Fermi, etc etc. Plus the food is great.

hektoren said:
Read the story: Torri was set to request an immediate precautionary suspension for Riccò if evidence of a transfusion was confirmed. This is that precautionary suspension.

Further, "the doctor in Pavullo confirmed his version of events to investigators and said that Riccò was fully conscious at the time of the alleged confession".

"Riccò was requested to appear before the Modena public prosecutor Pasquale Mazzei on Monday and again yesterday, but on each occasion the rider refused to present himself."
fully conscious and fully aware and comprehending are two very different things.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
rickshaw said:
(we must have beed replying at exactly the same time.... )

That's right boys and girls! Just read the article right here on CN, in particular the last three paragraphs where we are told:

1) the Dr who was at the hospital when the Cobra had his kidney problems confirmed that Ricci admitted the transfusion with old blood.
2) Dopey boy was summoned to court twice and did not come
3) The investigation into the medical and scientific facts of the case has been delayed by the death of (the guy doing it) but will continue.

Sounds like they got their ducks in a row and were forced to suspend the little snot because he thought he could bluff his way back into the pro ranks.

btw: let's no be bashing the Italians for being Italians. Italian geniuses which come to mind include Galileo, Marconi, Fermi, etc etc. Plus the food is great.

Sounds like game over for Riccó and i bet Amore Vita got wind of this and that is why he signed with Meridian.

A near death experience really opened Riccós eyes....:rolleyes:

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
riobonito92 said:

Actually an interesting precedent - one can think of protecting the health of a certain precious sportsman by preventing him to go to the hell of TdF where one can get CONTAminated by poisoned meat.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
thirteen said:
possibly so.

the physician likely hasn't been in a position to be the one questioned when nearly dead.

i have.

jeeez yourself.

Trained ER docs are fully capable of assessing the levels of consciousness in critically ill patients, thank you, whether they use the AVPU, GCS, Glasgow or other scales. If he says he was fully conscious, he most likely was, and if standard procedure was followed it was also logged.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thirteen said:
possibly so.

the physician likely hasn't been in a position to be the one questioned when nearly dead.

i have.

jeeez yourself.

So when you were asked by the physician what may be causing your ailment - you decide to make up a story about doing blood transfusions?

I think you will get the most honest answers when people are under that sort of duress,even if it has little to do with their medical issue.

hektoren said:
Trained ER docs are fully capable of assessing the levels of consciousness in critically ill patients, thank you, whether they use the AVPU, GCS, Glasgow or other scales. If he says he was fully conscious, he most likely was, and if standard procedure was followed it was also logged.
you like to use the word "fully" a lot, don't you?

most ER docs i've met are very capable of accessing consciousness. judging awareness and comprehension is a bit more of a "guess" as they do not know the patient's norm.

if this case rests solely on what the doctor was allegedly told, that is where i have a problem.

if further medical tests back up a botched transfusion, that is another story altogether. i do trust facts.

Dr. Maserati said:
So when you were asked by the physician what may be causing your ailment - you decide to make up a story about doing blood transfusions?

I think you will get the most honest answers when people are under that sort of duress,even if it has little to do with their medical issue.
you are more likely to answer "yes" or "no" to questions asked (in a court of law, it would be considered leading questions).

i answered some questions incorrectly (read: false) and i have no idea why. was i trying to please the nice doctor? did i just want him to shut up? was i desperate to latch on to anything that he might be able to fix?

i honestly don't know. the only thing i remember was he had a lovely smile.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
the suspension seems to be a response to his actually signing with a team and being considered to ride again. Initially they probably thought no action need be taken since it was improbable that he would ever be signed again.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thirteen said:
you are more likely to answer "yes" or "no" to questions asked (in a court of law, it would be considered leading questions).

i answered some questions incorrectly (read: false) and i have no idea why. was i trying to please the nice doctor? did i just want him to shut up? was i desperate to latch on to anything that he might be able to fix?

i honestly don't know. the only thing i remember was he had a lovely smile.
The Doc says Ricco told him he did a botched transfusion - I doubt that is something you make up to please your Doc (regardless of whether they have a nice smile) or a question a Doc would ask.

luckyboy said:
lol they waited til he got a new team before they suspended him.
To be fair - it looks as though Ricco getting a team has got CONI to act quickly on the matter.
Remember he is only 'provisionally' suspended while they are preparing to take a case against him.