• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riccos Return

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Just curious as to what everyone thinks about Riccos return especially after this:

“I also want to thank the rivals I’ll face during the season: I made a mistake, I know, but I’m human, too and people make mistakes in life. I’m sorry. I want to apologise to all the cycling fans, cyclists, officials, journalists, everyone in the world of cycling. My errors are part of my past and from now on you’ll get to know a new Riccardo. I’ve never lost my enthusiasm for cycling, indeed it’s stronger than ever.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-to-return-at-the-coppi-and-bartali-stage-race

This should change all the Ricco bashers idea out there when considering that everyone was saying that there is no way he should return and that he didn't even acknowledge the fact that he did something wrong. Well it looks like he was on this forum and responded to all the naysayers.

I say welcome back, sure he's a cocky, arrogant, loud mouthed kid but he is just that, a kid. Look at Cavendish, Gibo, Cipo, McEwen in their day, all arrogance. He's got talent (yes, it still takes lots of talent to be able to climb and put in attacks like he does even when one is on something. Don't believe me? Look at how many get busted for doping that don't have any results whatsoever, not even a daring attack that you would remember.) and I, for one, would like to see how far he can go.

The Cobra strikes again. Go Ricco!

cobra_commander.jpg

P.S. Use transfusions this time like everyone else.

A

Anonymous

franciep10 said:
I kind of like Ricco, sure he's an arrogant douche bag but he's fun to watch

Yea, total douchebag, but he does not ride with the script everyone else does. He makes things hard for everyone he is riding against, and I like that racing aspect of his personality.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
MonteCristo said:
Just curious as to what everyone thinks about Riccos return especially after this:

“I also want to thank the rivals I’ll face during the season: I made a mistake, I know, but I’m human, too and people make mistakes in life. I’m sorry. I want to apologise to all the cycling fans, cyclists, officials, journalists, everyone in the world of cycling. My errors are part of my past and from now on you’ll get to know a new Riccardo. I’ve never lost my enthusiasm for cycling, indeed it’s stronger than ever.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-to-return-at-the-coppi-and-bartali-stage-race

There must have been a mistake while translating his words; he never asked sorry to anyone! :D

Regardless how much hate Ricco inspires among the cycling community, I'm curious what he's capable of this time around. Sanctions won't stop his wild behavior, nor his filthy mouth, but if he delivers results & don't get caught, I'd think he'll gain some fans in the process.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
While I'm curious to see if he can or will still light up a tour like he used to, this

High Cotton said:
Ha. I wonder if he'd take back the mother of his child if she said the same?

is very darned relevant. Thanks for the perspective.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm quite surprised by these recent comments. I found it easy to dislike him before. I would like to have boo'd at the screen when he appeared. But I have to say, he seems to have learnt a bit of a lesson. Although of course it could have just been written for him by his agent/ds/manager/etc.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Lots of people stating the like his riding/attacking style...how do we know anything about his style...the guy has been doped since he was in his mid teens. He may actually suck? I hope he does.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
Lots of people stating the like his riding/attacking style...how do we know anything about his style...the guy has been doped since he was in his mid teens. He may actually suck? I hope he does.

My thoughts exactly. I love how people on this forum love certain riders attacking style (Valverde, Vino, Ricco). They completely overlook that when you are doped to the gills it is easier to do that very thing (attack when everyone else is gassed). I hope he falls off the back on the first grade steeper than a driveway and cries all the way back to Italy and becomes one heck of a house painter (to paraphrase Zulle).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
First of all, Ricco's a massive douchebag IMHO.

Second, he's served his suspension and now he should be allowed to race. Them's the rules.

I never said he shouldn't be allowed to race...I just hope he sucks...

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
slowoldman said:
My thoughts exactly. I love how people on this forum love certain riders attacking style (Valverde, Vino, Ricco). They completely overlook that when you are doped to the gills it is easier to do that very thing (attack when everyone else is gassed). I hope he falls off the back on the first grade steeper than a driveway and cries all the way back to Italy and becomes one heck of a house painter (to paraphrase Zulle).

Amen.
(hmm, 10 characters you ask?)

slowoldman said:

tgsgirl said:
Amen.
(hmm, 10 characters you ask?)

Are you guys really saying that the guys who have gotten caught were the only ones doping, really?

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Are you guys really saying that the guys who have gotten caught were the only ones doping, really?

I'm saying I find it hypocritical that everyone seemingly wants doping to go away yet praises riders who attacked like madmen because they were juiced up to their eyeballs.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
I'm saying I find it hypocritical that everyone seemingly wants doping to go away yet praises riders who attacked like madmen because they were juiced up to their eyeballs.

I said it too...Totally agree tgsgirl!!! What is so hard to understand? Hypocritical to say the least. Hell, I don't even like the bike throwing tantrums.

TRENDING THREADS