• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider Rankings that are Missing/Needed

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
We all look at the CQ Rankings and to some extent the UCI ranking but both really fall flat.

Sure the overall number is important, but don't we need other categories? Much like the GT Jersey's?

Missing Categories for the Rankings:

Sprinter Rankings: Could be a factored equation with Wins/placings on flat stages, Sprinter Jersey Wins/placings in a GT/Week Tour, with a requirement of N riders to be in the sprint, so a breakaway with two riders or some number wouldn't factor in this ranking. The Sprinter Jersey classification points would account for intermediate sprints. There should also be negative points for being DQ-ed, TC-ed or if a rider withdraws from a GT or Week Tour.

Climber Rankings: Similar to the Sprinter Rankings but with of course mountain top finishes, and stages categorized as climber stages even if there is no MTF.

Classics Rider: The old World Cup rankings would take care of this.

TT Rider: Again like the Sprinter and Climber rankings but there is no Jersey in the GT's.

Breakaway Rider (aka The Jackie Number): I also feel teams would want such a rider who gains breakaway time/K's for the advertising angle alone, a DS shopping for riders would definitely want one of these to satisfy the sponsors.

Again Total Win Count and overall Points (sum of all above) is also needed and pretty much done already with the CQ and UCI Points system. Then there's the CQ and UCI points system, can't they just be merged. And what ever happened to the ProTour Jersey? :confused: Not that I liked it but I must of missed the memo on its removal.

Just not sure how to classify or rate the best domestique or best climber/sprinter(sprint train) domestique.

TRENDING THREADS