• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders salaries

Froome and Contador are on about 3.5m euros a year, Nibali 3m euros, I'd imagine everyone else (apart from maybe Valverde) is on less. Cav used to earn 3.5m euros at Etixx but took a pay cut to go to DD

Gilbert might have been on a similar wage when he signed his BMC contract, but he'll be taking a cut to go to Etixx

(That said, the source for these figures also suggested Sagan was on 3.5m, which is definitely incorrect)

Froome's new contract (signed in January) made him the best paid rider in the peloton. It was announced at the time as a 5.2 million euro/year contract. Think it is 4 million pound/year so because of exchange rates the value in euro's is a bit lower atm.

My guess is that the very top riders for top teams earn several million; near-elite riders earn low 7 figures, the top domestiques earn well into six figures and the lower end domestiques on the WorldTeams (mind you, these are still among the top 500 cyclists in the world) will earn low six figures.

I'm also guessing that even the lower end domestiques who were good enough to participate in the World Tour for 5-10 years will have decent career opportunities once their careers are over.

So while they don't make as much as top footballers, if you're good enough to be among the top few hundred for a few years you'll probably do OK financially.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
i saw somewhere G Thomas was on 2 million ?
Froome is on 4 million
And Landa & Kwait are on about 1-2 million each
Poles must be on a million and the rest of SKY super Doms probably 500K ot 800k

Is that euro's or pounds?

Not that it matters that much, as Froome's salary is the only one that seems about right for what he's worth. Maybe Poels too, but I wouldn't know if it's the old or the new contract, and on the old one he'd done like 4 great Tour stages and a few minor wins. Other dom's 500 to 800k?!! No wonder why everyone's going to Sky.

For the rest of the numbers I've seen, I think Quintana is worth a bunch more, and Contador will probably take a significant paycut. I have a hard time imagining Gilbert being on 3.5 mill for this long as well.

That said, I'm kinda interested into which kind of salaries the lesser riders of the Pro Tour have and Pro Conti riders have.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
My guess is that the very top riders for top teams earn several million; near-elite riders earn low 7 figures, the top domestiques earn well into six figures and the lower end domestiques on the WorldTeams (mind you, these are still among the top 500 cyclists in the world) will earn low six figures.

I'm also guessing that even the lower end domestiques who were good enough to participate in the World Tour for 5-10 years will have decent career opportunities once their careers are over.

So while they don't make as much as top footballers, if you're good enough to be among the top few hundred for a few years you'll probably do OK financially.
Nope, just because the top salaries are massive doesn't mean everyone else is on solid salaries. One example is multiple reports of a multi TDF top 10 still on minimum wage and solid domestiques still refunding salaries.

The salary structure is extremely top heavy compared to other sports.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
So cyclists don't make additional income from sponsorships and bonuses?
It depends. High profile riders do, while some riders get a ride by bringing on a personal sponsor who pays that riders salary. The latter mostly happens on Pro Conti and Conti teams though. When a big(ger) name rider suddenly goes to a surprisingly small team, this is usually what has happened.

Occasionally, a WT rider may even pay their own way onto a team, and only get prize money as payment from the team, refunding their salaries as soon as they get them. This is getting into murky territory though and the UCI doesn't like it (quite rightfully IMO), as it can disadvantage more talented riders who aren't from privileged backgrounds.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

DanielSong39 said:
So cyclists don't make additional income from sponsorships and bonuses?
Not endorsements, but an additional source of income for a lot of riders are the post tour crits. http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/our-man-in-the-bunch-6-money-6020 I don't know too much about cycling endorsements given that it is not very popular where I am from, but I wouldn't think that endorsements add too much for most riders. Think about it this way: if your typical NBA or NFL player does not earn much in endorsements, and these sports are much more popular than cycling, how much could cyclists get?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
60.000 is not the minimum in wt, that is 35.000. probably fdjeux minimum is 60.000. fdjeux are known to pay riders REALLY well

anyway nibali was paid 4 million at astana I believe but I do wonder how people come up with all these figures, they are almost never released. I heard sagan is going to get paid 7 million at bora. don't know if true

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

DanielSong39 said:

your guess is wrong then. many low-tier wt riders earn just 35.000 bruto

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Froome and Contador are on about 3.5m euros a year, Nibali 3m euros, I'd imagine everyone else (apart from maybe Valverde) is on less. Cav used to earn 3.5m euros at Etixx but took a pay cut to go to DD

Gilbert might have been on a similar wage when he signed his BMC contract, but he'll be taking a cut to go to Etixx

(That said, the source for these figures also suggested Sagan was on 3.5m, which is definitely incorrect)
any sources for this?

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Moviestar said:
Quintana and Valverde touched the 2m euros with their previous contracts.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quintana-to-stay-at-movistar-in-2014/

Here's another list
http://sportsmaza.com/cycling/pro-cyclists-salary/
That list is absolutely laughable.

From the bottom of the sportsmaza list... "This is my first time to work as a sports writer but I'm confident and hopeful to develop useful content for you."

Unfortunately for Ashika Abedin (but fortunately for people who want accurate reporting), I think his career as a sports writer is going to be a short one.

No surprise here. Ineos tops all charts except the top salary that belongs to Sagan.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-tops-pro-cycling-highest-earners-list/

Now I understand why some riders leave Movistar upset. Lol.

The highest earning riders of 2020

1. Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) €5.5m
2. Chris Froome (Team Ineos) €4.5m
3. Geraint Thomas (Team Ineos) €3.5m
4. Vincenzo Nibali (Trek-Segafredo) €3m
5. Egan Bernal (Team Ineos) €2.7m
6. Fabio Aru (UAE Team Emirates) €2.6m
7. Michał Kwiatkowski (Team Ineos) €2.5m
8. Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-QuickStep) €2.3m
9. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) €2.2m
10. Richard Carapaz (Team Ineos) €2.1m
11. Thibaut Pinot (Groupama-FDJ) €2m
12. Primož Roglič (Team Jumbo-Visma) €2m
13. Tadej Pogačar (UAE Team Emirates) €2m
14. Nairo Quintana (Arkéa-Samsic) €1.9m
15. Tom Dumoulin (Team Jumbo-Visma) €1.8m
16. Fernando Gaviria (UAE Team Emirates) €1.8m
17. Romain Bardet (Groupama-FDJ) €1.7m
18. Greg Van Avermaet (CCC Team) €1.6m
19. Elia Viviani (Cofidis) €1.5m
20. Miguel Ángel López (Astana Pro Team) €1.5m

No surprise here. Ineos tops all charts except the top salary that belongs to Sagan.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-tops-pro-cycling-highest-earners-list/

Now I understand why some riders leave Movistar upset. Lol.

The highest earning riders of 2020

1. Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) €5.5m
2. Chris Froome (Team Ineos) €4.5m
3. Geraint Thomas (Team Ineos) €3.5m
4. Vincenzo Nibali (Trek-Segafredo) €3m
5. Egan Bernal (Team Ineos) €2.7m
6. Fabio Aru (UAE Team Emirates) €2.6m
7. Michał Kwiatkowski (Team Ineos) €2.5m
8. Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-QuickStep) €2.3m
9. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) €2.2m
10. Richard Carapaz (Team Ineos) €2.1m
11. Thibaut Pinot (Groupama-FDJ) €2m
12. Primož Roglič (Team Jumbo-Visma) €2m
13. Tadej Pogačar (UAE Team Emirates) €2m
14. Nairo Quintana (Arkéa-Samsic) €1.9m
15. Tom Dumoulin (Team Jumbo-Visma) €1.8m
16. Fernando Gaviria (UAE Team Emirates) €1.8m
17. Romain Bardet (Groupama-FDJ) €1.7m
18. Greg Van Avermaet (CCC Team) €1.6m
19. Elia Viviani (Cofidis) €1.5m
20. Miguel Ángel López (Astana Pro Team) €1.5m

I'm not sure how accurate this is as I've seen Valverde's salary listed higher than that. I've also seen both Froome and Sagan's salaries listed higher than this report.

Reactions: yaco

TRENDING THREADS