• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cycling Gear Riding a MTB bike with road wheels?

Jun 17, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am new to cycling and I seeking to buy a bike.

I went and did loads of research on the internet and through bike shops. i was sorting out different alternatives I am now blocked to one issue: can i use a mtb with road wheel? the thing is i am 185cm tall and i want to buy a 29er. i will use my bike mainly on the road but i will have some offroad times with my friend, my optimal goal is to be able to do at least 50km by the end of this summer. I am really lost and need some help.

PS: I am not the style of person that wants to jump with my bike just to have some fun on gravel while mainly being on bumpy roads (i live in a country with very very bad road). Plus I am mainly interested in buying a Specialized bike (mainly because of the after-sales support) either a pitch or a rockhopper or a sirrus (hybrid)