• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Right height for rear derailleur?

Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
Hi

I am putting a new rear derailleur on my bike. Is this approximately the right height for it?

Or should it be lower or perhaps higher?

The chain is not yet on the bike so I wold like some opinions on the positioning.

See video and picture:

Last edited:
The housing cable looks a little long - the 'loop' could be smaller , the main corner is to avoid having the cable loop somehow getting tangled in the spokes.
I suggest you look at how the cable is attached on other similar bikes.
The main concern is having the shifter work to move the chain onto all of the sprockets.

Reactions: Bikescanner
Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
The housing cable looks a little long - the 'loop' could be smaller , the main corner is to avoid having the cable loop somehow getting tangled in the spokes.
I suggest you look at how the cable is attached on other similar bikes.
The main concern is having the shifter work to move the chain onto all of the sprockets.

I have fixed it. Now I am adjusting the wheel to spin straight.

Anyone knows if this is straight eough? Or should it be even straighter?

I had to replace some spokes since the old wheel had broken spokes.

And this part is quite difficult.

The noise with the inner cog might be caused by the amount that it (and the chain) are worn.
Look carefully at the shape of the teeth on the cogs to see if there are obvious differences.
Also, you might have to adjust where the clamp holds the wire - so the wire can be pulled enough to shift into all the cogs.

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site
Begin by visually inspecting the derailleur hanger. Your adjustments will not work if it is clearly bent. To resolve this issue, watch our hanger alignment video. If your bike has multiple front chainrings, set the front derailleur to the largest chainring and the rear derailleur to the smallest cog. Even if you're already in the smallest cog, keep clicking the rear shifter to ensure there are no more clicks in the mechanism. This ensures that the rear shifter is fully depressed.