• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Robbie McEwen: A worse climber?

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
McEwen is injured, Graeme Brown is a far worse climber.

Look at his glory years in the TdF, he was never the worst.

Yes he has hurt a hamstring and he is just getting too old. No surprise at all he did not make it.

Too bad. Ferminal is right---go back and watch some of his victories! In his prime he was truly a warrior.
It seems after that last bad crash into the photog and subsequent, he was never the same.

He's still all class and it's sad to see him going.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
veganrob said:
Is there a sprinter that is a worse climber than Robbie McEwen? He's always been the most fun to watch and more guts than anyone, but he is so bad in the mountains. He is not that big of a guy either. Would think he should be better.

Looking back, as the others say, this was an unusual result for Robbie. He has historically been a driver of the Bus. He is a master of calculating the minimum speed required to get in within the cutoff and it is generally never him who is struggling to maitain it.

To think of a worse climbing sprinter... Definitely Brown but also I immediately think of Kenny Van Hummell? and going further back, Mario?

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
He's still all class and it's sad to see him going.

Well... Looks like He is losing that class cuz He has been very bitter and sometimes bullying some followers in twitter... the same for Robbie Hunter... maybe Da Shack is changing him... but a shame that He had to leave Il Giro in this way...

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Martin318is said:
To think of a worse climbing sprinter... Definitely Brown but also I immediately think of Kenny Van Hummell? and going further back, Mario?

mmmm Didn't Caveman Van Hummel drop Guardini not long ago? Guardini is young but He can't climb at all... that's why Farnese Vini didn't take him for Il Giro... also He is too young...

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
veganrob said:
Is there a sprinter that is a worse climber than Robbie McEwen? He's always been the most fun to watch and more guts than anyone, but he is so bad in the mountains. He is not that big of a guy either. Would think he should be better.
McEwen was actually a very decent mountain climber for a sprinter.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Danilo Napolitano and Francesco Chicchi both get dropped on speed bumps. Mind you Koldo Fernández isn't much better.

As for Mario, I think it was a case of CBF.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
not really. Not the first time he has missed a time cut.
Never a good climber, but not the worst either.

True, but how often has he missed the cut while on his own relative to the number of times he was in a medium sized group that didnt make it? Usually one of two things has happened - he was injured or the stage wiped out a bunch of people.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
veganrob said:

yeah there are far worse climbers. mcewen had injury to his achilles. :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Danilo Napolitano and Francesco Chicchi both get dropped on speed bumps. Mind you Koldo Fernández isn't much better.

As for Mario, I think it was a case of CBF.

napolitano used to be pretty ok in hills, he didn't finish 5th in milano sanremo for nothing, but chicchi is indeed the worst climber in peloton I've heard

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Well... Looks like He is losing that class cuz He has been very bitter and sometimes bullying some followers in twitter...

What? I have been following him on twitter for a while and he has never bullied anyone that I have seen.

Worst climbers in cycling history (or at least for the last 20 years):

1. Ivan Quaranta
2. Jaan Kirsipuu
3. Robert Förster

Discussion over.

Mentioning McEwen here is just nonsense. Remembering him doing a wheelie at some Pyrenean MTF (was it Piau-Engaly '99?)? You just CAN'T do that when you're the worst climber.

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
marco1_79 said:
I agree on Quaranta.
He was a decent sprinter but i have never seen a worse climber.

He was more than a "decent" sprinter, he was one of the very best in his prime, not many sprinters win 3 green jerseys in the tdf. If u read back u would see he is currently injured, quite old and a number of others who were deemed worse riders.

TRENDING THREADS