• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Saturday, june 16th - Tour de Suisse, stage 8: Bischofszell - Arosa 148km

Stage profile:

profile-8.jpg

GC after stage 7:
1 Rui Alberto Faria Da Costa (Por) Movistar Team 26:10:55
2 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Pro Team Astana 0:00:50
3 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank Cycling Team 0:00:55
4 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:04
5 Frank Schleck (Lux) RadioShack-Nissan
6 Thomas Danielson (USA) Garmin-Barracuda 0:01:12
7 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Omega Pharma - QuickStep 0:01:15
8 Vladimir Gusev (Rus) Katusha Team 0:01:17
9 Thomas Löfkvist (Swe) Sky Procycling 0:01:22
10 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Rabobank Cycling Team 0:01:27

First of 2 opportunities to try and drop Costa on the "big" mountains. will any1 succeed or will the young Portuguese on super form manage to keep his lead?

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Arosa... Wasn´t it the last time they arrived here when Horner got his first big win back in Europe?
Should´ve been 2005, him riding for Saunier Duval.
A very young Nibali for Fassa Bortolo did well this day, as far as I remember... Good memories.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Modemfearer said:
Looks like a monster of a mountain, but not sure what the gradients are for the last km?

Don´t know exactly, but I think Arosa is not extremely hard, only "very hard", maybe Cat. 1-2 in the Tour de France. Can´t remember it being really very, very steep, not even in the end, but maybe I´m wrong.

Modemfearer said:
Looks like a monster of a mountain, but not sure what the gradients are for the last km?
the climb starts a little below the 600 meter level and finishes under 1800 meters, so we are not speaking huge altitudes . with a small dowhill before the final part of the climb. That makes it quite short of a true "HC" rating , IMO compare that to the climbing they will be doing at "La route de sud " if you want Monster

mmm, valverde not for him im afraid, rui costa has shown himself the stronger of the two this week, rui costa in top 3 anyway and pushing for stage win, gesink will probably hang on with the group and see how he feels remember he suffered alot last sunday.

think those that did the giro might be feeling bit more so expect more solid performances from those building to the tour. Velits needs a good showing to justify going for gc in france.

Gesink was not happy after the time trial. He said he might have won it if not for some things that pulled him out of concentration.

1) His chain skipped at the start of the Pfannenstiel, it took a while before it corrected itself
2) He lost his wattage meter, which is like something holy for him. He now has no idea how many watts he pushed which annoys him :p
3) Near the end he needed sugars, he said he forgot to take an energy gel after the warm-up and now feels stupid. He feels he should've won the ITT on a good day.

:eek:

ok how many of this :eek: do you use d_t when you talk about gesink?it must be an insane number

yep,this is for gesink i think he will drop rui costa but not by much
tomorrow it will really be the day of truth for the portuguese if frank and gesink choose to go ballistic from far out.today it should be no problem

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Think Fränk will be dangerous today. Last 3k climb is quiet steep which should suit skinny Fränk. And lets not forget, he was strong on Verbier even if Costa finally caught him.

I see no worries for Costa today.

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Sagan will try it today. Last climb is 3.2k at 9.8%. Probably too long but maybe not impossible for Sagan. In Tirreno-Adriatico we saw some pretty strong climbing by Sagan.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink was not happy after the time trial. He said he might have won it if not for some things that pulled him out of concentration.

1) His chain skipped at the start of the Pfannenstiel, it took a while before it corrected itself
2) He lost his wattage meter, which is like something holy for him. He now has no idea how many watts he pushed which annoys him :p
3) Near the end he needed sugars, he said he forgot to take an energy gel after the warm-up and now feels stupid. He feels he should've won the ITT on a good day.

:eek:

That is so Gesink, so Rabo

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
It's called excuses.

He should say: somebody was stronger than me today.

So naive.

There's a huge difference between saying you might have won and saying you would have won. It's his right to be unhappy about it, isn't it? I do agree though that Rabobank usually is the #1 in looking for excuses.

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Lance Armstrong said:
Forget it. It's proper climb, too long for punchers.

Noticed that the cat 2. is fairly steep and long, Sagan will most certainly be dropped here alreday. If it was just the final 3.2k climb I wouldn't totally rule out Sagan.

SafeBet said:
It's called excuses.

He should say: somebody was stronger than me today.

So naive.

He did not say he would have won, but he could have, given the obstructions en route. It's not a far-fetched notion unless he finished outside the top 10. Do not let your gripes with Rabobank confuse you with Gesink, he's the last person to complain or look for excuses. More excuses are created for him on this forum than actually come from himself. I was surprised to even read that interview, so it shows you how much he really believed in the win and was disappointed with the hurdles along the way. Finally, I don't think naive is the word you're looking for here. ;)