• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Schlecks Rating of tour rivals

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
What do people think about the Shlecks ratings on the cyclingnews article,

I agree with them actually and think Basso will be the main threat
Would have thought given the course Gesink would have earnt a higher rating from them

I think they went out of there way to be nasty to Sastre, i know they have had a falling out but that was a bit out of order in my opinion

You agree with them and think that the problem is that they dont rate Gesink:confused::confused::confused::eek:

Dude, there is someone far superior to Gesink who is not mentioned. Someone who is definitely a more likely challenger than Cadel Evans (1 of the big boys according to Andrew) and a million times more likely than JVDB who they do mention

Im not surprised that the twins didnt mention him, and am glad they underate him, but i expected better from you ttrider

they seem to be a bit butthurted cus of sastre tour win. do they actually think frank could have won?s

anyway besides the obvious **** hurt cus sastre didn't served them like every1 has been doing it for the past 4 years. they just downplay basso giro win almost saying it was easy to win and pretty much call vino and sastre old farts and name a few other guys like if they were some random people. i like how jurgen VDB can be a surprise cu he was fifth this year yet frank's perfomances are around the same level as VDB and he is a full contender.

and ya hitch they don't mention samu nor gesink but tbh i think thats just because they don't think any1 can beat them. the only reason they mention VDB is to say that even tho he was fifth last year he still isn't a contender and may just be a surprise

p.s. i hope all this talking make the peloton realize that they don't deserve people waiting for them like in stage 2 last year. i would like to see andy's second second place if he had lost 6 minutes there. and i bold the second cus the only reason andy may win next years tour is cus contador will most likely be banned if he wasn't he would be a 3 times second haha

"Yeah he won the Tour once but the years before and after that he was far from the podium," Andy said.

"I don't see him as a threat for the GC. It was a fluke year and he had good teammates and although he won't say it he won the Tour because of us."
Wow, Andy is full of **** and apparently knows nothing about cycling.

I like this one about Cadel:
Andy Schleck said:
My personal opinion is that he does too many races at too high a level. It's great to see his spirit and he's never bad in any races but if he just concentrated on the Tour he'd be a major threat," he said.
I.e. if only Cadel were like me and race for 4 weeks in a year, that's the kind of rider we need.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
screw the schlecks.

I didn't like the schlecks... but after this article (unless these turn out to be misquotes) I really really dislike them.

Completely disgraceful comments in my opinion. Whom do they think they are...
The sastre comments were very immature and demonstrates their delusion.

The Hitch said:
Dude, there is someone far superior to Gesink who is not mentioned.

better maybe, far superior; nope.
I agree his exclusion is a joke tho. I really hope he refreshes thier memory come july.

I'm also gonna laugh when frank gets owned by most of these guys.

@youngest my thoughts exactly.

theyoungest said:
I like this one about Cadel:

I.e. if only Cadel were like me and race for 4 weeks in a year, that's the kind of rider we need.

haha i liked that one

man i just can't help to feel like contador has been saving us from some annoying statements over the last 2 years. i mean contador isn't even banned yet and they are already talking like this imagine if one of them wins the tour . . . .

please don't ban conti so we can see him whoop the shlecks all season long!! starting with P-N followed by the ardennes then the tour and finally the vuelta.

if not this guys and in general the godly leopard team(cept jens cus jens is awesome) will be a pain in out butts all season long ...

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
While I don't find it very tactful the way they goes out of their way to denigrate Sastres tour win, they are right in the fact that Sastres win very much was a team effort.
I clearly remember the Aple d'Huez stage where Sastre took off and the Schlecks completely neutralized any attempt to catch him. That was beautiful.

But to come out and say it like this just shows lack of class imo. Bad blood or not.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
better maybe, far superior; nope.
I agree his exclusion is a joke tho. I really hope he refreshes thier memory come july.

It was hyperbole. Hes not a million times better than JVDB either;). Only about 0.25 but thats all that is needed

But there is no maybe about it. In 2011 Samuel Sanchez, on that course, is more of a contender than Robert Gesink. Other than possibly Basso and maybe CUddles, he is the only possible challenger for Andy Schleck (if romours about GEOX are to be believed).

To rate JVDB above him is like saying that the TOC is bigger than the Vuelta.
MY GOD, WHAT IS CYCLING COMING TO THESE DAYS:(

Parrulo said:

if not this guys and in general the godly leopard team(cept jens cus jens is awesome) will be a pain in out butts all season long ...

Its good to have someone to hate.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I can't agree with everything you say, but that has nothing to do with andy's ignorance (and thus this thread.. so i'll let it slip ;) ), in which case I agree.

and ey, the TOC is clearly better.

Its good to have someone to hate.

my list within cycling is far to high i think :D

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I would rather read quotes from Pat McQuaid than Andy Schleck :eek: And no, this isn't an isolated interview that caught him with a hangover, he was badmouthing everyone that wasn't lucky enough to be him during the Tour de France. I really really want to see him and the others on Leper-Trek :cool: fail miserably.

Video of Schleck's position Stage 2 when Contador insisted Armstrong and other's in his group wait.

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/891

theswordsman said:
I would rather read quotes from Pat McQuaid than Andy Schleck :eek: And no, this isn't an isolated interview that caught him with a hangover, he was badmouthing everyone that wasn't lucky enough to be him during the Tour de France. I really really want to see him and the others on Leper-Trek :cool: fail miserably.

+1.

But what makes me most depressed is that Fat Pat has clearly hitched his wagon to Schlecklet, which means he's pretty much untouchable. :(

The Hitch said:
But there is no maybe about it. In 2011 Samuel Sanchez, on that course, is more of a contender than Robert Gesink. Other than possibly Basso and maybe CUddles, he is the only possible challenger for Andy Schleck (if romours about GEOX are to be believed).
That's only based on last year's Tour though. In the Vuelta 2009 both Gesink and Samu arrived in top form, and if anything Gesink was slightly stronger there. That is, until Gesink went a-tumbling.

How many GT's have the Schleck's won?

Roland Rat - as you say, the UCI and McQuaid have decided that Andy is the chosen one. It sounds like McQuaid has been giving him lessons on how to say lots of very stupid things in interviews.

theyoungest said:
That's only based on last year's Tour though. In the Vuelta 2009 both Gesink and Samu arrived in top form, and if anything Gesink was slightly stronger there. That is, until Gesink went a-tumbling.

Its based on the fact that i think Samu got access to a very good programme last Tour, which is what explains him dropping everyone bar the 2 obviously most juiced riders. Hes also been the strongest defender of Contador, absolving him of all guilt, asking people to move on, and saying that a Tour without Contador is like a Rolland Garros without Nadal.

Also Samu is a superior time trialists (or is this a point of contention with you guys too now:rolleyes::p) and there are a few descents where he can show off his (rightly or wrongly earned) "best descender in the world" tag.

auscyclefan94 said:
I would rather have my rivals under estimate me than rate me as a threat. I think people are reading a bit too much into this.

ACF, no one is taking Andrew as any sort of a cycling expert. I already said im glad Andrew underestimates Samu. But his comments are mean to Carlos, and they show off his own stupidity. Andrew is about to become the biggest name in this thing of ours. A little critisicism of the president elect is neccesary.

Pat McFix:
"Contador..........no, check!
Sastre.............no, check!
Menchov...........no, check!
.........now, Andy, all we have to is get rid of Samu and that young Dutch dude and it's sorted........
wot?........Cadel?.........No worries. He'll find a way to get rid of himself.";)

TRENDING THREADS