• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali 2014 (2.1)

This little Italian gem will start tomorrow (27 Marts) and ends Sunday.

From the race last year:
PIC186767554-775.jpg

Last year was brutally dominated by Lampre and perhaps Ulissi can do it again.

5 stages spread out over 4 days.
27.03. Stage 1a: Gatteo - Gatteo (99,5 km)
27.03. Stage 1b (TTT): Gatteo a Mare - Gatteo (13,3 km)
28.03. Stage 2: Sant'Angelo di Gatteo - Sogliano al Rubicone (160,2 km)
29.03. Stage 3: Crevalcore - Crevalcore (158,4 km / 12 Runden à 13,2 km)
30.03. Stage 4: (TT): Pavullo - Montecuccolo (10,0 km)

Teams and key riders:
1. Lampre - Merida (Ulissi, Mori)
2. Cannondale (Viviani, Caruso)
3. Team Sky (Swift, Cataldo)
4. UnitedHealthcare (de Maar, Euser)
5. Bardiani - CSF (Bongiorno, Zardini)
6. Team Colombia (Rubiano, Pantano)
7. Androni Giocattoli (Pellizotti, Zilioli)
8. Neri Sottoli (Ponzi, Finetto)
9. RusVelo (Pozdnyakov, Lagutin)
10. MTN - Qhubeka (Kudus, Meintjes)
11. Team Novo Nordisk (Peron, Verschoor)
12. Topsport Vlaanderen – Baloise (van Staeyen, Jacobs)
13. Christina Watches-Kuma (Schumacher, Gavazzi)
14. Itera - Katusha (Foliforov, Akimov)
15. Vini-Fantini-Nippo (Malaguti, De Negri)
16. Team Dukla Praha (Kankovsky, Hochmann)
17. Marchiol Emisfero (Cecchin, Nibali)
18. Amore & Vita - Selle SMP (Pinizzotto, Martins)
19. Team Idea (Delle Stelle, Collodel)
20. Area Zero Pro Team (Chinello, Ciavatta)
21. Meridiana Kamen Team (Mucelli, Santoro)
22. Vega - Hotsand (Gaffurini, Ciavatta)
23. Adria Mobil (Rogina, Mugerli)
24. MG Kvis - Trevigiani (Nechita, Busato)
25. Utensilnord (Kusztor, Der)

Full startlist will emerge here: http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Settimana_Internazionale_Coppi_e_Bartali_2014-Startlist

Official race site: http://www.gsemilia.it/

The riders will be delighted with the idea of starting the first stage around 9am:
14032418385-hoehenprofil-settimana-internazionale-coppi-e-bartali-2014---etappe-1a.jpg

Not sure about broadcasting, but I'm sure we had highlights last year.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Nice race as such, but the timing is really off, so field is very second rate, competes against

- cobbles saison (which is ok-ish as those riders are no direct targets)
- Catalan (WT, all major stars are there)
- Criterium International (frenchies out and all those needing a nod from ASO)

Roude Leiw said:
Nice race as such, but the timing is really off, so field is very second rate, competes against

- cobbles saison (which is ok-ish as those riders are no direct targets)
- Catalan (WT, all major stars are there)
- Criterium International (frenchies out and all those needing a nod from ASO)

I consider the CI and this one very similar, i.e at a lower level. These lower level races are needed to keep the machine running imo.

For me, the issue are the races at the top. These really shouldn't overlap if the plan is to drive TV audience, at least not until we have a more serious base to build on.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
I consider the CI and this one very similar, i.e at a lower level. These lower level races are needed to keep the machine running imo.

I totally agree, that's why they should not overlap if there is on top a WT race. Both spaced, you merge the startlist and have a decent field and still giving 2nd tier teams a chance to shine

A few years ago this race seemed to be 1,5 flat stages, a TTT, two quite hilly stages with a circuit finish and a medium-mountain stage with no MTF. The Pavullo stage in 2010 when Niemiec and Santaromita disappeared into the distance following the Serpa neutralisations, and the Gaggio Montano stage in 2011 when Sella announced his comeback to the world, were really what I think this race is all about. I'd rather the TTT become an ITT of similar length and replace the ITT with another hilly stage as long as there is no uphill finish. If we're really lucky, it will finish with the Sassuolo circuit, which was always good for some interesting racing because it was long enough to tempt attacks but only steep in a couple of places near the top, so the gaps would be fairly small but the sprinty types would really have to go into the red to stay there.

Libertine Seguros said:
A few years ago this race seemed to be 1,5 flat stages, a TTT, two quite hilly stages with a circuit finish and a medium-mountain stage with no MTF. The Pavullo stage in 2010 when Niemiec and Santaromita disappeared into the distance following the Serpa neutralisations, and the Gaggio Montano stage in 2011 when Sella announced his comeback to the world, were really what I think this race is all about. I'd rather the TTT become an ITT of similar length and replace the ITT with another hilly stage as long as there is no uphill finish. If we're really lucky, it will finish with the Sassuolo circuit, which was always good for some interesting racing because it was long enough to tempt attacks but only steep in a couple of places near the top, so the gaps would be fairly small but the sprinty types would really have to go into the red to stay there.

I think the race has faced lots of cost cutting. We see the result on today. Maybe it can get back on track.

Anyway, perhaps Yellow Fluo will scheme a winning move:

550-PIC444938323.jpg

May 31, 2013
Visit site
oliveira said:
Preety strong Sky lineup here. Is this the first leadership test for Pete Kennaugh?

Hard to tell. The fact that there is a tt might mean it favours cataldo or kiri more but he did say in an interview a while ago that he'd like to give it a go

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:

For me, the issue are the races at the top. These really shouldn't overlap if the plan is to drive TV audience, at least not until we have a more serious base to build on.

these races have always been overlapping and it has never been a problem.