• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SHACK ATTACK: Radioshack fail dismally!

auscyclefan94 said:
What a failure radioshack are! They failed badly today.

They didn't fail too badly. Their "strongest team in the tour" are still 14th in the all important Team Classification, a mere 4:50 behind Saxo and only 2:27 behind the very weak Astana!

A

Anonymous

I wonder if Lance has ever met my friend - Karma.

She's a real b$tch.

Where's Carboncrank?

All is good, we just need to wait until the mountains before the SHACK ATTACK can be unleashed. Saxo one down already - advantage to the Shack. I'm looking forward to the USPS train whether it is in support of LA/LL/AK/CH or YP.

Lance looked really, really uncomfortable on the cobbles. Not sure the light gear he always uses worked that well on that surface, but I've never ridden on cobbles so I wouldn't know.

As for RadioShack, Popovych was great, and Armstrong, Klöden, Brajkovic and Leipheimer did OK.

Despite all the psychological warfare, they weren't a cobbles team so the expectations shouldn't have been that high.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Team was a bit weak but if anyone seriously thinks it was anything but bad luck for Lance you all live in a different world, just like it was bad luck for F Schleck and Chavenel.......it happens. He was riding fine before a front flat, what else would you have expected him to do?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
as usual myopia man, Sample survey not in proportion to the population in the world according to Assfan; as there is a long way to go.

I will say they failed in there wheel choice. I was surprised to see those deep section rims for the cobbles on LA's bike. Although I have not been able to confirm I assume LA pinch flatted and had a wheel change of some sort as he finished with a low profile rim etc.....unacceptable

Imagine if Wiggo and flatted. the whining dog would be heard all the way back to Manchester. And (although I do feel he has ridden admirable this season) Evans would find someone to blame.......

May 26, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Lance looked really, really uncomfortable on the cobbles. Not sure the light gear he always uses worked that well on that surface, but I've never ridden on cobbles so I wouldn't know.

As for RadioShack, Popovych was great, and Armstrong, Klöden, Brajkovic and Leipheimer did OK.

Despite all the psychological warfare, they weren't a cobbles team so the expectations shouldn't have been that high.

Yet they were still going to hammer Contador today. I'm sure Lance was expecting a repeat of 2004.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Saxo did great work today. Agree RS was mediocre at best, particularly in support of Lance late in the stage - didn't see much from Klodi or Levi. That said, RS is built for the mountains. Don't expect 5 Saxo riders to be on the front then, particularly with F Schleck's unfortunate crash. The mountains will also be the moment of truth for Astana. Wouldn't be suprised if it was only Vino and AC that make the select group of ~20.

theyoungest said:
Before the start, Armstrong and Bruyneel seemed to think it was a unique opportunity for them to gain time on the climbers... and lookee what happened. It's just hilarious.

Indeed, a disaster of biblical proportions for the fanboy minions.

I think they thought they could put Lance in a time position to take the object of all his desire; the maillot jeune, come the Morzine Avoriaz stage.

Now, his chance of yellow, seems to have eluded him, just like last year.

His much vaunted pave team turned out, not surprisingly, to consist of just Popovych. While Contador only had the Vino monster!

May 26, 2009
Visit site
warmfuzzies said:
Saxo did great work today. Agree RS was mediocre at best, particularly in support of Lance late in the stage - didn't see much from Klodi or Levi. That said, RS is built for the mountains. Don't expect 5 Saxo riders to be on the front then, particularly with F Schleck's unfortunate crash. The mountains will also be the moment of truth for Astana. Wouldn't be suprised if it was only Vino and AC that make the select group of ~20.

Ok we have to assume a few things first so here goes.....Just say the Shack have 5 or 6 guys on the mountains and Astana only have 2, the Shack have to find a way to drop Contador without putting Lance in trouble, using last years climbs as a guide I don't think that's likely.

Melatonin

BANNED
Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

I think they thought they could put Lance in a time position to take the object of all his desire; the maillot jeune, come the Morzine Avoriaz stage.

His much vaunted pave team turned out, not surprisingly, to consist of just Popovych. While Contador only had the Vino monster!

The difference to last year is Armstrong wasn't good enough to win it. That's why it is very important this year that something out of his control stops him.

This is great.

The only bad thing about it is the neutral fans will really get behind Armstrong now.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Evans looks Good

Great ride for Evans. If he can manage to wheel-suck throughout the mountain stages, he will be looking good going into the ITT. I think it may be difficult for AC to get 1 minute Evans.

altark123 said:
Team was a bit weak but if anyone seriously thinks it was anything but bad luck for Lance you all live in a different world, just like it was bad luck for F Schleck and Chavenel.......it happens. He was riding fine before a front flat, what else would you have expected him to do?

He actually looked a bit uncomfortable for stretches, but he did a great job of fighting through the flat.

I think the larger issue, however, is psychological. They (RS) pinned their hopes on putting significant time into AC on the cobbles. They didn't do that. Psychologically, that can't sit well with them.

That being said, JB can't call a defensive race any more if he wants to salvage this TdF. As a side note, while I think it was a great day for Andy, I think the loss of his brother is going to hurt him. Everyone else seems to think it is going to help him, but Frank, was his best climbing domestique and the stronger of the two coming into today. There is only one person to watch on Saxo Bank from here on out.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
astana

just out of curiosity what was up with vino first across line ahead of AC. did he have a flat? so hard to listen to Pee and Pee oh i mean phil and paul, nowadays. damn everyone on this planet is sucking up to someone.

listen, phil goes off on explaining LA heroic efforts on the stones, with dirt like soot covering his entire face. well heck when the camera turns to lancey, which it always does, sure didn't notice any dirt of his mug. guess he is vain like me, get that dirt off your face as soon as possible. what a girl†

remember this people, LA:
there is no I in team.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

As monster's go he's going to be a good one to have on Albertos's side.

warmfuzzies said:

Yes because the rest of Astana (Tiralongo, De la Fuente, Navarro and Hernandez) are just dreadful climbers. I actually think Astana has the strongest team for the remaining stages.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I agree. A. Schleck needs more time on Contador before the ITT. It's nice that Lance will not be able to wheel-suck in the mountains if he wants to win. Did Contador have a flat or did he just get dropped? That cost him 20 seconds.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
That being said, JB can't call a defensive race any more if he wants to salvage this TdF.
I wonder what Bruyneel is going to do, because most of the time his fantastic tactical genius consists of having a very defensive race, a tactic that won't work now. Will he still be able to salvage anything out of this?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Great ride by Saxo, to bad about Frank. As much as I wanted to see Shack put time into Contador, obviously Contador and Vino were superior.
I still think the tour is between Lance and Alberto. It was not a Shack fail as there was no shack carnage.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Yes because the rest of Astana (Tiralongo, De la Fuente, Navarro and Hernandez) are just dreadful climbers. I actually think Astana has the strongest team for the remaining stages.

This is going on my wall for the next 2 weeks. A bold prediction. I think after AC and Vino, Grivko is Astana's best climber.

TRENDING THREADS